Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting MPEG Project Advice?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all! 😄

So I have a bunch of old MPEG or MPEG2 video files I want to combine and edit into one big project. However I am having some difficulties deciding on how to export this project into a suitable but still high quality video.

As I understand it trying to make something like an MPEG into 4K, for example, isn't really a good idea as I may end up actually losing image quality.

So basically, what would be the recommended settings for something like this to export into something nice and crisp? Or well as good as one can get considering what I'm working with. 😜 Should I just select one of the presets or should I do some kind of tweaking to make it a bit better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I hope it all makes some kind of sense. 

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it trying to make something like an MPEG into 4K, for example, isn't really a good idea as I may end up actually losing image quality.

By @PandaApocalypta

It has nothing to do with MPEG, it has to do with the resolution of your source clips. If your source clips are standard definition it will look bad to upscale to 4K no matter if you use MPEG-files or use the same resolution in a ProRes 4444-file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume then  the best option is try to stick to as close to the original source's resolution as possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume then  the best option is try to stick to as close to the original source's resolution as possible?

By @PandaApocalypta

In short, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Understood. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions of your clips?

How will the exported file be viewed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're mostly 720x560. They'll just be viewed via a USB or some other form of storage but if I can make them look a little better resolution wise that would be a bonus. But I am intending on making it into a fairly large project and possibly add some other stuff to it (commentary, photos, etc) so this is where other resolutions and details may be effected too. 

But my main concern is just having a clear, smooth image and not end up making it all blurry as I have done so with other clips in the past many moons ago.

Thanks for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines