Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ExtendScript: Can't Relink MOGRT Files

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm running into issues with sharing projects that rely on MOGRT (Motion Graphic Template) files. The MOGRTs were created in After Effects, added to a shared library, and imported into Premiere. When I transfer the project file to another computer with the same MOGRTs installed, however, the MOGRTs in my timeline aren't linked: they depend on a .aegraphic file that is created whenever I drag that template into my timeline, in a folder at the same local directory as the original project was saved in.

I need to reliably share projects that include those MOGRTs, so I started building a functionality in ExtendScript that would replace those local .aegraphic files associated with my project to copies of those .aegraphic files on a shared drive (because of my workflow, I can't save the Premiere project to the shared drive).

However, I'm hitting another wall when using ExtendScript: I can't run changeMediaPath() on those MOGRT files because canChangeMediaPath() returns false on them. I tried this out with an MP4 file in my timeline and was able to change its media path -- canChangeMediaPath() returns true on it. I'm unsure why canChangeMediaPath() returns false on the MOGRTs even though I can right-click on those same MOGRTs in my timeline and reveal them in Finder, or make them offline and relink them. 

Does anyone have suggestions for relinking those MOGRT files without having to prompt the user to do it on their own? Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue. (Have been for months). I'm using CC 2019 and each time another person opens the project, the mogrts are broken and require a re-build. Colaborating is VERY difficult with this mogrt system.
The solution I've found is Opt(Alt) dragging the same mogrt template from the Essential Graphics panel onto the clip in the timeline that is broken and Premeire will replace it with the template on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue too and what I found is that when you open up a mogrt file in premiere and drag it into the sequence it creates a file ending in .aegraphic.  You can find that file by hitting, "Reveal in finder".  You can find all of the .aegraphic files that you are using and compile them into your shared folder that you are using.  Then link all of your files to those ones.  That way when you share the file with someone else they can also have those .aegraphic files that you need to relink to.

You won't be able to relink to the original .mogrt files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain how to do that exactly, Im lost on trying to relink MOGART files while sharing a project file back and fortth with someone. WE both have the Mogarts in our indivdual computres, saved in Essenital Graphics BUT when we send Projeect file back and forth, it wont relink. It acts as if the essential graphics are missing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the answer I gave previously. Still works in CC 2021:

The solution I've found is Opt(Alt) dragging the same mogrt template from the Essential Graphics (or Library) panel onto the clip in the timeline that is broken and Premeire will replace it with the template on your system and ask to replace all the same templates in the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just an addendum to the suggestion from Laffitte Studios...

The option-drag option works as long as the mogrt clip in the timeline starts at the beginning of the original mogrt. But, if the clip has been edited, this solution won't remember the edit information.

As an example, if an editor has cut 1 second out of the middle of a mogrt lower third (in order to shorten the duration but keep the end animation out), when the colourist tries to relink the mogrt using the option-drag method, the 2nd half of the lower third clip will start at the beginning of the lower third animation again, not half-way through.

If you want to keep the original edit points, the mogrts need to be relinked to the Motion Graphics Template Media using the method suggested by wesleypd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked like a charm, thank you so much. I've just done it: after firing up the project, I put the initial .mogrt as offline, then dragged and dropped the effect on the timeline, right-clicked: 'reaveal in finder' -> it was .aegraphic! Then relinked the original file to it, done. All worked perfectly. Thank you wesleypd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, wesleypd!!!! You are a day saver!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the Alt tipp, it worked for me. Huge help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to use Opt(Alt) to do this previously but when I just tried to do this again, it no longer works. I transferred all of my media, project files, everything from one external to a new external and now everything is broken. Any thoughts on how to repair this Opt(Alt) replacement function or why it's not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MJustEm88,

Sorry about that. Can you share the mogrt with me so I can let engineering inspect it?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! I had closed down Premiere Pro, updated some softwares, and now... everything is fixed. Re-linked and everything. Sorry, Kevin! I appreciate the willingness to help, however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS TIP SAVED A 4 year strong project file - and saved me hundreds of hours - wherever you found it, GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Useful! great trick ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that canChangeMediaPath() accepts a second argument:

overrideChecks: boolean, Override any safety concern.

With this set to true, changing the path work in most cases.

See:

https://premiere-scripting-guide.readthedocs.io/item/projectitem.html#projectitem-changemediapath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT:

canChangeMediaPath() -> changeMediaPath()

projectItem.changeMediaPath is the method that accepts a second argument, overrideChecks: boolean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Appears it's been this way for months (years?) and this bug is still there?!

I lost a TON of work just now because I had to clear cache (yet another bug reared it's head that corrupted some files. Thanks Adobe!). When I reloaded the project, all my mogrt files were screwed. Why? Because, for some stupid reason, the files only exist in the temporary cache. WHY??? And why hasn't this been fixed. It's almost like Adobe doesn't think professionals use their software to make a living and creating traps like this that take tons of unbillable hours to fix is perfectly ok for their software. The minute, the SECOND, there is a reasonable alternative to Premiere, I'm out.

FYI: This is way far away from the only issues I've had with Premiere. It's a daily slog of frustration. Meanwhile, ALL the other Adobe products are a pleasure in comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also been struggling with sharing projects with MoGrt files. Another workaround is to use the Project Manager to collect the files. During the collection process, Premiere will find the .aegraphic file and include it in the new project, so when you transfer the collected files folder to another user or use it on a different computer, everything you did in the timeline will stay intact and you don't need to drag and drop new versions or re-create any changes you've made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I intentionally used MOGRT files during collaboration so as NOT to have to worry about "cached" files - so lost the corresponding .aegraphic files when deleting cache post edit, but Premiere will not rebuild these files as I expected it to.
Is there ANY way to force premiere to rebuild the .aegraphic files?  I put an enormous amount of time into editing the MOGRT instances and find this dependence on cache files quite frustrating and non intuitive.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had any luck forcing Premiere to figure it out, even with the original AE file that was used to build the MoGrt. Every time I've had to rebuild the graphic all over again. 

I agree - it's very frustrating. I hope Adobe can make an adjustment for this colab issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines