• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eye-dropper Color Picker not working

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the PPro CS5 effects I've tried that use the Eye-dropper for color-picking (UltraKey, Color Key, Color Corrector, etc.) seem to work properly. When I click on the eyedropper, the cursor changes to the eye-dropper pointer, but when I drag this pointer over any part of the screen, the swatch in the effects controls seems to vary between different shades of gray - not the color that is under the pointer. Likewise, when I click over a color, only the shade of gray is picked.

Clicking on the swatch in the effect controls to bring up the graphic color picker works just fine. Furthermore, in After Effects CS5 and Photoshop CS5, all of the color eye-droppers I have tried work just fine. Seems to be isolated to Premiere Pro CS5. Never had this problem with CS4. Any ideas?

PPro 5.0.1

Max OSX 10.6.4

2 x 2.66 Dual Core

13GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1900

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, thanks.

Taverino wrote:

jeremy,

New card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 512MB. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

----------

New card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 512MB.

-----------

How cool...that's exactly what I have...in a pc...

There's a setting in the graphics to "let program decide" re: some of the card settings, and I find that best for me...I think I was getting some artifacts in Premiere ( drop down menu might leave a "shadow" after using it...that sort of thing...)  and changing the driver fixed everything.. Nice card for me ..hope you like it !  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bob, what video card did you use first and what video card did you change to....where you still had the problem ?  Just curious.

Did you ever follow up on this problem you had ?   Do you have the same problem where your eyedropper tool does not work in the color corrector effect ?

Thanks

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with the NVIDIA GT120 and then replaced with NVIDIA GTX 285.  i got the problem when I upgraded to CS5 and still had the GT120 card.  I got the GTX 285 and was playing with it and forgot about the problem until I saw this thread then I went back and tried it again and the problem was still there.  Like I said in the previous post the eyedropper worked for  2 color key effects then failed on the third.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

This thread has been really useful to me as I have the exact same problem.... My problem is I do not have a machine like yours, I'm running on the most basic 13 inch MacBook Pro so 2gb ram, and I think Nvidia GeForce 9400M, will need to check, I purchased it in November 2009.

Is there anything I can do?

Cheers,

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2010 Oct 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an Apple Store nearby, I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar and show them exactly what is going on. At the very least, they will run your MacBook through a bunch of diagnostics that might uncover a problem they can fix. They might also have an updated driver that is not in the general OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2010 Dec 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had/have the same problem (I filled a bug report). Turns out it is because I have two monitor attached to my system (iMac 24", ATI). If I disconnect one monitor or turn on 'mirror mode' then it works fine, otherwise it always picks the wrong color.

Hope they get this fixed soon! 🙂 Real pain if you pick colors a lot.

--greg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have had a similar (if not the same) problem.  I am using a MacBook Pro 13 (mid 2009) and can't get the dropper to pick up the color.  When i scroll it over the green, the little color preview box thing shows grey.  any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also expreriencing this problem.  It was working on my system before the 10.7.2 update. I have the Nvidia quadro 4000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard this is a known problem in Lion and Premiere Pro 5 or 5.5 and adobe is working on it. I hope they fix it soon so I can upgrade to Lion and get some of the supposed performance gains it will give me with Timeline scrubbing on Mac. Now I'm on 10.6.8 and eyedropper works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are urgently working on fixing the eyedroppers for Premiere Pro CS5.5 on Mac OSX v10.7 (Lion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.2) update fixes the problem with eyedroppers on Mac OSX v10.7 (Lion), as well as some other issues. See this page for details:

http://adobe.ly/premiere_pro_552

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about for us running CS5 on OSX v10.7 Lion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> What about for us running CS5 on OSX v10.7 Lion?

Eyedroppers should work fine on Lion in Premiere Pro CS5, except in the case of using multiple monitors with different vertical resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> What about for us running CS5 on OSX v10.7 Lion?

Eyedroppers should work fine on Lion in Premiere Pro CS5, except in the case of using multiple monitors with different vertical resolutions.

Strange, I'm using a single 27" Apple Cinema Display, OSX Lion 10.7.2, CS5.04 with a quadro 4000 card, with the latest display drivers, and it's still not working. Any reason why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS5 on quad-core iMac with Lion (10.7.2) and the ultra key is not working. Have a bunch of green screen footage that I can't work with because of this. Adobe, please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem that doesn't invove changing the graphics card?

My color picker was working fine with Lion until  I clicked "detect deplays" in Mac "system preferences" and clicked the "show displays in menu bar" box. Since then I've been unable to pick colors in any of the effects that use it.

I guess its not a graphics card problem as it wasn't happening untill I changed those preferences.

It is listed as a known problem, but does anyone know when it is likely to be fixed?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - please any ideas? mid 2010 iMac with Premiere CC 2014... a real pain to not be able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you by chance increased the size of the cursor (and mouse pointer) through System Prefs>Accessibility>Display? If so, that's known to interfere with the Color Picker tool. Resetting the pointer to normal size will resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - THANKS a million. Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a Ton man...:-) Been looking over this issue for a week..  thanks again..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem. i pick a colour, for example blue, an then it comes up as a shade of grey, it also happens to any other colour. if you can find a way to fix that plz reply

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it was on windows photoshop cc 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines