Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: How to Change the Codec for Video Preview Files

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the Codec for Video Preview Files

There are a few reasons to change the codec for video preview files. 

• AVI Warning: Are you getting an Error Compiling Movie warning dialog box concerning AVI files? If so, you need to change the codec for video preview files. It was somehow reset to AVI as your default video preview codec. Consider creating a sequence preset to avoid this issue in Premiere Pro 22.5. 
  • Smart Rendering: When rendering effects in particular codecs, you can harness these video preview files to give you faster export speeds at a high quality. More info here
  • Quality: Certain codecs are of the highest quality, while others offer draft quality.
  • Performance: Some codecs render faster if you need to render as you work. Others give you better timeline playback performance once an effect is rendered.

Here's how to change the codec.

1. Go to the User Guide and scroll down to the section "Change Sequence Settings." This guide provides step-by-step instructions, as well.
  2. Choose Sequence > Sequence Settings. The Sequence Settings dialog box launches.
  3. Set the Editing Mode (top of the dialog box) to Custom (scroll up the menu, it's at the top). The settings for video previews are then "unlocked."
  4. Choose your codec: I-Frame MPEG (the previous default), GoPro Cineform, or QuickTime in the Sequence Settings dialog box under Video Previews > Preview File Format.
  5. I recommend QuickTime > ProRes LT for the codec, which will provide smooth playback and an option for faster rendering, called smart rendering. The community seems to be finding I-Frame MPEG working OK too.
  6. Click OK. The box closes, and you can render effects in the new codec. 
  7. After the export, don't forget to choose Sequence > Delete Render files to restore drive space. You won't need the files anymore.

I hope the advice helps. Let us know if you need assistance with any of these steps or if we can help you with a better workflow.

Thanks,
Kevin

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very thanks Kevin, your useful advice are useful for my problem:

IMG_20220818_171916.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome Vincenzo!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

having issues exporting anything our of premiere pro. I tried this and it got me farther than I had been before but still gets stuck exporting out. I can export small clips, a few seconds, but trying to export a minute video and it is getting stuck. It happens directly from premiere and also using media encoder. The weird thing is, if I import the premiere pro project into after effects and render it from there, it works, but the audio quality comes out poor.

|What I have done so far:

Ensured drivers up to date.

Uninstalled/reinstalled

restarted computer

rending in to out before export (gets stuck rendering into out)

delete media cache

Computer specs are NUC with i7 processor and 32 gigs of ram and INTEl UHD graphics and upgraded to Windows 11. 

Do you know what the issue might be? Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sammy,

Sorry. I wouldn't say I like to make assumptions, but, usually, it's non-performant media causing most of the issues. If the clips are video game streams or from mobile phones, you need to convert the video using something like Handbrake or Shutter Encoder (which I prefer) before editing. I like converting media in Shutter Encoder because it's free, and you can convert to ProRes LT, an excellent editing codec.

See if my advice works for you in a test.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. I'm a wedding videographer and have never had this many errors/crashes in premiere since the latest update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other info?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate it, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So helpful! Thanks a bunch from Mean Bean Comedy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Sorry for my English. Just bought the new subscription today.  I use premiere pro since 2018. I'm a videogragher at weddings . I don't understand why for about 3 months when I try to export different files the software just simply exits from export . No error nothing. Sometimes appear that error with (Send//Don;t send)  Reinstalled fresh Windows etc... Until now I did not very much time to make him work. Please someone if he encountered these problem and can help me ! Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked perfect, thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines