Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Find Duplicate Frames?

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

How can one find the location of duplicated clips on a timeline?

In FCP there used be a menu that would list the time-codes of all instances of the duped clips.

Thanks,

Wayne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Go to the Project window in icon view,

Click on the blue video or audio icon in the thumbnail,

Then click on one of the options.

You can do this also in List view.

click on a clip,

open preview area,

click on the little arrow down (clip usage)

clip usage icon view.png

clip usage list view.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Project window in icon view,

Click on the blue video or audio icon in the thumbnail,

Then click on one of the options.

You can do this also in List view.

click on a clip,

open preview area,

click on the little arrow down (clip usage)

clip usage icon view.png

clip usage list view.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wayne,

another way is to mark "show duplicate frame markers" in timeline-display-settings (screw-wrench):

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-17 um 17.52.30.png

The colored areas are twice in TL....

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jo,

Thanks -  I have that feature turned on, but it doesn't help when your timline already dozens of coloured markers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my current workflow for finding duplicates that's easier than skimming the whole sequence for duplicate frame markers or looking at video/audio usage (and also works for stills).

1) Export sequence as XML. I'd recommend if you're only looking for visual duplicates, delete all audio tracks first; if only looking for stills, delete all but that, etc.

2) Use Sequence Clip Reporter to generate a spreadsheet of all the clips in the sequence ($99 but 100% worth it if you have ever had to turn an EDL into a spreadsheet more than once... also, I encountered a bug that caused it not to work, and customer support got back to me right away... on 4th of July!!): http://intelligentassistance.com/premiere-pro.html 

3) Use Excel or Google Sheets to create a Pivot Table from the spreadsheet. (Select nothing: generate pivot table, make sure your whole data range is included, choose rows: Clip Name, Values: Clip Name)

4) The Pivot Table will show you a count of how many times the Clip Name shows up in the table. So find duplicates via anything more than one, and the original spreadsheet will show you the timecodes for where it is located in the sequence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jogan you're brilliant!  This was exactly the answer I was looking for.  It worked like a charm.  I discovered I had duplicate sound bytes in my sequence audio - which is what I suspected, but I didn't want to listen to the whole half-hour program to find it.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I may be missing a step you are not aware of based on my inexperience. what do you mean by "click on one of the options" ? If I click on the icon nothing happens. If I rt click a whole menu opens with nothing helpful?  thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann,

I appreciate your showing me the workflow.

I have to say, Premiere Pro has a VERY poor implementation of this very important tool, and is lightyears

behind FCP's clearer and more obvious implementation.

I hope this fix this.

W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP 7 really was great about dupe detection. But FCPX is lightyears behind Premiere pro when the question is dupe detection. It just have nothing to deal with dupes, and I guess that Apple think it is a minor and superfluous need. Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines