Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file'

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I've got a problem that I think others have had, I'm trying to use MXF video files in a project I'm working on, the quality of the video is the main priority (Audio has been recorded separately so there's no audio on the MXF video files). I've already tried using MP4 but the quality has reduced significantly so that's a no-go. After importing the MXF files, the error sign lights up, and 'Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file' is the issue every time. I've imported it under different Video rendering and playback options but no luck there. Each time I've tried importing the MXF files, the number of errors alternates, sometimes there are loads, other times there are less. Does anyone know what to do to fix it? 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

That's ridiculous that none of those are working for you! What version of Premiere Pro are you on? Also, what MacOS are you on, as well?  Yeah, I suppose Handbrake would be the next thing to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Save the project 

Close Adobe Premiere 
Rename the file that is giving this error 
Launch Adobe Premiere again 
It will say file not found (Because we renamed it)
Click on locate and then browse the renamed File 
Hopefully it will work, it has worked for me 3 to 4 times

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 130 Replies 130
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the same problems. I'm a cameraman working for a Dutch new program in the Netherlands. I'm traveling around the world with my camera and laptop and it all worked fine till a few months ago. I have deadlines. Sometimes I have to edit very fast and I don't have time for proxies. I put my memorycard in my laptop and I start editing. But after ten minuets I get these warning about the frame substitution and sometimes my audiowaves in the timeline start flashing. When I restart Adobe Premiere verything is fine but after ten minutes the same story. I already did a clean installation but I still have the same problems. I work wit a Sony FX9 and  I'm filming in XDCAM HD422 50i. The container is MXF. So nothing special about that. Adobe is version 23.0.0. Please HELP me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scherm­afbeelding 2022-12-01 om 14.04.41.pngScherm­afbeelding 2022-12-01 om 14.06.12.pngScherm­afbeelding 2022-12-01 om 14.11.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omed,

Sorry. Are you experiencing the same error message? If not, I can move your post to a separate thread if you like.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Premiere Pro Team:

"The issue that was originally causing this issue has been resolved. However, we do see some issues with playback errors like this that are machine specific. If you're still seeing this error (or something like it), please post a question about it, with specifics about your Premiere Pro version, OS, and media format, on the main support forum:

We're particularly interested to know if customers see this issue with LongGOP footage, Intraframe footage, or both. 

LongGOP formats can be challenging to play back smoothly, particularly if you are using 10-bit 4:2:2, as this format is only hardware accelerated by Apple silicon Macs and 11th gen or later Intel Core processors that have Quick Sync enabled. 

However, while we might expect to see dropped frames when playing back LongGOP formats on computers that don't support hardware acceleration, you should not see error messages, and it's this issue we'd like to get more information about."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dec 16 2022

It's NOT been resolved.. I'm running on a iMac 2019, 3.7 Ghz 6core with128 Gb of RAM.. OS Ventura 13.0.1. This BUG is ruining a huge project no work arounds so far have solved this.. Why is it these kind of Software bugs fall on the shoulders of us to find the fix  and why can't your company practice good ethics by reaching out to us via email etc. And explain the problems and FIX so we don't have yo search through a million different laymen answers? While on a 2 hour hold with Adobe? Errrr...  If you have a simple answer Please step in.. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answers from me, but I just wanted to jump in and say it hasn't been resolved for me either. I know in the update they specifically say "fixed issues that could cause: Frame substitution errors and black video frames when editing," but it's still happening for me.

I just haven't had a chance to start a new thread like they suggest. However like you said, it would be good to know what "the issue" was and how they "fixed" it. I did think it was kind of comical when they said, "the issue has been resolved" ... if only I could put this issue to bed after nearly two years of dealing with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree! I never had this problem till being on a giant project now I
can't even export the finished product.. For a client I'm meeting
tomorrow.. I'm in my second hour of being on hold with there questionable
support team 😳

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow I don't envy you right now. Well typically as soon as I turn proxies off and go through the timeline small sections at a time, once it starts producing thumbnails I can tell which clips cause errors because their thumbnails will not appear at first and then be a black image. That's house I know which clips to render and replace (and for good measure I render out that clip in the timeline and play it to make sure it's good). I can spend minutes and even hours doing that depending on how long the project is and how many clips have issues. 

reading through everyone's "fixes" tells me that people have many different causes for the same errors, so my workaround obviously may not work for you, but I didn't want to leave you hanging like Adobe. 

Worst case scenario, maybe create proxies for all your clips (choose a high quality version) and just render with your proxies and unlink the original files causing issues. It's not great, but better than meeting your client empty handed.

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the below comment that was intended for Adobe. I appreciate your help greatly. I'm moving to final cut permanently after this job is way too frustrating and time-consuming. I don't have time to be looking for fixes and  being a tech genius. I need to finish my jobs and move on. My next town till be the proxies that you mentioned as of right now I copied the projectmy next town still be the proxies that you mentioned as of right now I copied the project and pasted it in a new sequence. I'm rendering it now and it seems to be rendering fine I'll let you know if it actually exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent suggestions I will try that this is incredibly frustrating...
Thanks for your kind help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to say thank you so much after 90 minutes of being on hold with Adobe's sub port team not sure exactly what that means. They hung up on me disconnected or whatever you wanna call it it be nice if you as a company who makes millions and millions of dollars daily would support your clients

I'm moving to final cut.

This is the last straw.

Good day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AL,

Sorry for the frustration. Thanks for the info. It sounds like you are having trouble with this specific project. Regarding Ventura and updating your project to 23.1, the advice is to return to v.23.0 if possible. 

Did copying and pasting clips into a new sequence solve your issue? Updating projects to new versions can sometimes corrupt sequences. I've seen that in Premiere Pro in some cases and with other NLEs, too over the years.

If you were getting the error indicated in the title, please let me know with specific details about your media (is it that 10-bit material?), and I can make suggestions. 

About our support staff, I apologize for this strange behavior. Please feel free to PM me any case numbers, and I will take action. 

Sorry again for the trouble.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin for your speedy reply. I greatly appreciate it. Yes, the best option was actually to copy the entire project and paste it into a new sequence that seem to actually solve the problem and illuminate any error codes. Once I did that I rendered it granted it's a very large project 34 minutes 29.97 FPS 4K and luckily it exported the entire project after the render I stuck with metal hardware in coding HDot 265. The main problems seem to actually be with working with CANNON MX files. I never have this problem with Sony files with the MX files we're giving all the error messages. Hopefully your team in development can pinpoint this problem and eliminate it I am not a coder so a lot of this heavy tech jargon is over my head, but I am very familiar with it the editing process. Sometimes the simplest answers are the best solutions. I'll keep you posted on any future issues. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, AL. I've seen media, clips, audio files, sequences, and entire projects become corrupt, especially with big projects (the Productions feature can prevent that by dividing up large projects). I find that when it comes to sequences and projects, updating the projects across versions and new OS can be the cause of such problems. I can recommend avoiding those things, if at all possible. Copy and pasting clips from one sequence to another, or importing the entire old project into a new project can fix these things. Interestingly, these problems and techniques to solve them have been around since the 90s in all the NLEs I've worked on.

I hope the team can fix those key bugs having to do with Ventura, 23.1, and certain formats. These are giving Mac users trouble. With your iMac and that 4K, you may want to make proxies in the future.

I can assist you in designing a workflow for your next project. Reach out. 

Have a good weekend and Happy Holidays.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Kevin! Yeah, I'm sure the developers have quite a task dealing with so many different file types my frustration kicks in and I usually rear back to simple solutions. Luckily this was the one I'll definitely post it so others may hopefully benefit and I will keep your advice for future reference, especially with those proxies which I'm not too familiar working with. 

Happy holidays to you as well!happy holidays to you as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has not been resolved. Projects are not even big. I mostly do 3 minutes news packages. Same error keeps happening randomly. I am shooting MXF OP1a, MPEG-2 422 Long-GOP, using Premiere Pro 23.1.0 (Build 86), on 2022 Mac Studio with Apple M1 Max chip and 32gb memory. Only workaround we found is to transcode files to Apple Prores 422 mxf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One simple workaround that seem to work just fine for me was copy and paste
into a brand new sequence. It’s temporary disabled the error code and I was
able to export with no glitches and no missed frames and that was a 90
minute film. I think the error code isn’t even proper meaning that what is
saying is happening actually isn’t happening because I cannot seem to find
any more missing frames. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final Cut is now my first resort. I am done with Adobe and their retar ded support system. Something of this caliber that is happening to everyone on a huge level with almost 0 response from Adobe's crappy support team has pushed me over the limit after 7 1/2 years with Adobe I am done goodbye Adobe as soon as this subscription months is over you are in my most used trashcan underneath my coffee grounds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution to the problem as quite simple copy your entire project and paste it into a new sequence mark you're in an out and render the entire project once rendered, you'll be able to export without any of those error codes. Also, I cannot seem to find any black spaces from any deleted frames, so I think you'll be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the exact same problem with the MXF files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problems. Kevin asked me to start a new topic, see the link

below.  
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/frame-substitution-error-on-m1-macbook-pro/idc-p/13...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a shoot resolution for those using the C70 or Canon - shoot your files with the following settings for no drop frame issues - Long GOP seems to be the issue potentially or Clog2...

If you have already shot and have drop frame issues create Quicktime proxies and work from those - won't be any issues. Then when you export make sure you close down Premiere, then re-open and begin export process. Keep an eye out for drop frames on the export and cross your fingers.

Camera settings:

XF-AVC YCC422 10 Bit

3840X2160 Intra-Frame 

250mbps

Colour profiles tested so far are:

C1:BT. 709 Wide DR

Clog3

Yet to test Clog2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its unfortunate that this is still an issue... This bug has been following updates for quite some time now. People wonder why editors are dropping off of the Adobe map, it is because of unfixed issues like this. Do better Adobe, please.

I have found there are two fixes that work for me. If one doesn't work to fix the issue, the other one usually does.

1) Change the "playback resolution" in the program panel. If it is on 1/8 and I am getting the error message, I will change it to 1/4 and it usually solves the problem.

2) If that doesn't work, i will try this: Right click the offending clip, uncheck "Scale to frame size".  I try to never use this feature, but sometimes my AE will use this method and I have found it causes many different problems. So, if i uncheck scale to frame size, and then just manually scale down or up the image to fit the timeline, there isn't a problem.

It seems like there is no one fix for everyone with this issue. Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines