• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full range & Legal Range for video in adobe Premire question

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Atomos Ninja V recorder you can select Legal range or turn it off and get full range signal.

the question is can PR read full Range signal when inporting footage? Full Range on wave form would be 0 to 1095 = in 10bit

Legal range would be 64 to 1000 = in 10bit ( broadcast safe.

I herd from youtube channels that its best to keep video footage in Legal range becuse PR only reads video footage as broadcast safe or legal range.

is this correct?

Please Help! 

TOPICS
Editing , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SDR video ... standard dynamic range video media, or "Rec.709" ... has standards set for it. And Premiere Pro follows those standards.

First, understand that the entire legal/limited 'thing' is about how the data is encoded to the file, not the number of values in the file. A common misconception.

YUV (technically Y/CbCr) media, which is nearly every camera out there, is supposed to be encoded as 'limited' or 'legal' range, 16-235. It will be displayed by any properly set monitor as 0-255.

RGB media ... typically 12-bit or higher, and most often produced in only very expensive cameras ... is set by standards to be encoded as 0-255, and displayed 0-255.

Setting that recorder to 'full' for SDR media doesn't get you any additional values for SDR/Rec.709 clips. It just makes a mess out of using them in an NLE. And maybe on many monitors/screens also.

And for most log-encoded and all HDR media, there isn't any limited/legal/full issue to begin with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

neal, i should keep my prores HQ 422 10 bit on Legal range? I can set it in the fujifilm camera or the NINJA V-  atomos. i am shooting fuji log

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In camera I can set it to full or legal range

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Legal. Period. Doesn't change image quality, just fits all editing apps better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines