• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Acceleration (Mac) Suddenly Disabled - Rendering Times Killing Me

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU acceleration has suddenly disappeared from Premiere Pro.

I've been looking through the threads and online but most responses seem to be for PC set ups and video card issues.

Can anyone shine some light on this issue and help as the rendering times are killing me!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, have you checked the renderer setting in the general tab in the project settings?   Have you tried creating a new project and see if they correct option returns?  

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card

Have you done any recent OS or Premiere updates?  If so, reverting to the previous OS or Premiere version may be necessary

I strongly recommend that when you have a stable system, that you create a bootable clone of your startup drive using something like carbon copy cloner

https://bombich.com/

and that you update it on a regular basis before you do any updates or install major software.  This way, if anything goes south or gets corrupted you can get back to work relatively quickly.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for respoinding. I should have also said that everything was working properly until a few days ago and rendering using the GPU had not been an issue. Other projects have been fine but suddenly now there are issues.

It' an M1 mac and I have been using the latest version of Premiere Pro, no updates are being shown. 

PP: 15.4.1

RAM for PP is 6GB out of 8GB

GPU is part of M1 integrate chip

Will look into bombick now but sill need to sort out this current issue before doing as you suggest

1. Yep, going to the general tab and project settings doesn't have any options for rendering in there.

Starting a New Project has the same problem, GPU rendering is greyed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone help?

Media Encoded shows the GPU is available vs software so why has Premiere suddely stopped?

I'm missing something, anyone know anythings please shout

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Premiere Pro opens as M1 native (Apple Universal), then the Renderer is set to Metal and cannot be changed.  GPU acceleration for the parts of Premiere Pro that use it are always on.

If Premiere Pro opens as M1 native, the Renderer cannot be changed.If Premiere Pro opens as M1 native, the Renderer cannot be changed.

If Premiere Pro opens using Rosetta, the Renderer can be set as Metal or Software only.  GPU acceleration for the parts of Premiere Pro that use it are only on if this is set to Metal.

If Premiere Pro opens using Rosetta, the Renderer can be changed.If Premiere Pro opens using Rosetta, the Renderer can be changed.

The setting to Open using Rosetta is in the Application's macOS Get Info window.The setting to Open using Rosetta is in the Application's macOS Get Info window.

As far as experiencing slower pefromace goes, have you tried looking at the Adobe Media Encoder log file for something you've exported with this setting on and something you've exported with this setting off?  In toubleshooting this issue, it might tbe worth exporting the same Sequence with each possible Renderer setting: Apple Universal Metal, Rosetta Metal, and Rosetta Soffware only.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing to say here, legend

Thanks for this post. 

I haven't even tried looking at the Adobe Media Encoder Log fle but just the rendering within Premiere has changed. I had been looking at using different codecs and looking into this topic (as it's clear I don't really have a fundamental understanding of how the workflow really works and in the implications for choosing a codec or certain settings etc...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines