• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Utilisation low when rendering video

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When rendering video (H.264, Hardware encoding) my GPU is hardly utilised, hovers around 3% and 17% whilst the CPU is usually pegged at 100%. I was under the impression with the latest versions of Premiere (I'm running 14.7.0) I was to see more GPU utilisation to help improve render times? Projects I'm rendering will usually consist of a few video layers consisting of a mixture of 4K & 1080p footage with some light colour correction and a LUT applied.

Is this normal? Does the GPU utilisation only apply to certain work cases with certain effects applied? I've tried searching online for any help and I only came up with forum posts with the same problem but their issue was due to not having Hardware Encoding applied.

My specs:

Intel i7 6850K (Stock speeds)

32GB RAM

GTX 1080

I'm running the latest version of Premiere (14.7.0 Build 23) Hardware Encoding enabled in both Media Preferences, Project settings and Export settings (H.264) and I'm running the latest Nvidia GPU driver (460.79)

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Sam

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your hard drive full?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All drives have plenty of space. Even cleared the cache. Tried exporting to different drives, NVME/SATA, same thing.

Tried exporting using H.265 and still the exact same utilisation. I've even tried forcing settings within Nvidia control panel to use CUDA and my GTX 1080 specifically but doesn't seem to do anything 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 2-pass encoding?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VBR 1 pass I believe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When rendering video (H.264, Hardware encoding) my GPU is hardly utilised, hovers around 3% and 17% whilst the CPU is usually pegged at 100%.

Are you rendering clips in the timeline or are you exporting an intermediate or final version?

Is this normal? Does the GPU utilisation only apply to certain work cases with certain effects applied?

Yes. The GPU handles accelerated effects while the CPU handles decoding/encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

You answer is incorrect. GPU acceleration handles the effects but you can also use the GPU to encode and decode H.264. Intel's Quick Sync can also be used. You might find the video link interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be the final version. I was led to believe that the newer versions of Adobe Premiere Pro allowed certain GPUs to encode and render the final video (using H.264) as opposed to just the CPU. Basically from the 10 series of Nvidia cards onwards which my GTX 1080 should qualify 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they have dropped support for the 1000 series GPUs from Nvidia. Does the Quick Sync option work on your system? Quick Sync works pretty good but I am not sure if your Intel CPU is new enough to support Quick Sync using Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff's answer is correct with certain gear, especially older CPUs. Andy is correct with other, newer CPUs.

As @RjL190365 can often illustrate,  it depends on both the generation of CPU and what specific bits it has. Some expensive CPUs actually were built without internal encoding/decoding special bits, and also don't work well with the GPU for H.264 while some cheap ones do.

So it always depends  ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niel,

It is more about the GPU. I am not sure about AMD but for Nvidia I think the 1000 series of GPUs and higher are suppposed to support GPU accleration and encoding and decoding. I opt to use Intel's Quick Sync over Nvidia becuase my GPU's fan will windout and the GPU will get a little hotter. The GPU does not get super hot but with Intel's Quick Sync the GPU and CPU hardly get warm. The latest version of Intel's Quick Sync (2021) will encode and decode more variations of H.264/265.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part ... but as RJL190365 hath pointed out, some of the CPUs have more kit for handling this than others. And actually, some of the i9 chips are pretty lousy with H.264 even with a better GPU, as they don't use it well. Which is weird and wrong on so many levels ... but sadly true in numerous test situations.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel's Quick Sync is useless if you have a good video card.  It won't make it render faster.  I tested it with i9 9900k and gtx 2070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past the GPU was a better option than Quick Sync but as of now Quick Sync can make use of the GPU ans IGPU at the same time for a super fast render. Keep in mind the new Quick Sync revamp for the 2021 CPUs will play more variations of H.264/265 than the Nvidia RTX 2070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have only Nvidia hardware encoding and decoding, in that particular case. What Andy1968 stated is not applicable because your CPU, like all other HEDT CPUs, has no integrated GPU at all, and thus no QuickSync at all.

And I would dare say that the i7-6850K is a weakling of a CPU by current standards. In fact, despite its 6 cores and 12 threads it is not much more powerful these days than a 10th-Gen quad-core budget i3 CPU. As such, that 6850K borders on being too weak for that GTX 1080. The most recent system with that CPU in the PugetBench for Premiere Pro benchmark that produced a valid score (that is, no wonkiness with the GPU score) scored only a 344 in that test (and that is with the exact same GPU as yours) - clearly within the range of a typical quad-core CPU-based PC of a similar age. In fact, my old i7-7700 (non-K) quad-core PC actually beat that i7-6850K even with a lesser GPU than the GTX 1080 (in my case, a GTX 1060 6 GB), mainly due to the 6850K's rather poor live playback performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The i7-6850K may not have the Intel Quick. The X Series and Xeons do not have it. It is a nice feature to have. Intel's Quick Sync will be getting an update for 2021. It should help play all the odd variations of H.264/265.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a Ryzen 3950X (or 5950X if I can get hold of one) as I feel an upgrade was well overdue. A nice Xmas present to myself. I Will keep my 1080 as I only do a bit of light gaming on the side, but will upgrade to the 30 series of Nvidia cards if that helps significantly with my editing workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue, posted on the forums & got no response. CPU 100% while GPU is not being used, I have a new PC which I had to upgrade twice this year trying to get adobe to work with no avail, 5 months of testing and experimenting, £15,000 spent and all I get is random crashes, BSOD and 0 customer support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've posted the same thing on three threads, but unfortunately haven't given the information needed to assess your situation.

Such as your specific CPU and GPU, the media used, and the effects used in your workflows.

First of course, is the knowledge of what a GPU is used for in Premiere Pro ... such things as resizing/frame-size changes, which of course include Warp stabilizer, many speed-ramping changes, color, and some other effects. Search their help for the GPU Accelerated Effects.

Where you have those effects involved on your sequence, the GPU will be used as the CPU gets to the things the GPU will help with. If none of those are involved, the GPU will not be doing much. It isn't just 'another' CPU.

Second is whether your GPU or CPU have the hardware for H.264/5 decoding, which again 'we' can't know without information from you. As sometimes some GPUs may be involved with H.264/5 is my understanding.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines