• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H264 mov not available on PC?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export a film for a festival.  They are asking for a Quicktime export with  H264 codec, max bitrate 15,000.  They linked to a tutorial with dialogue box from a Mac.  On my PC, H264 exports have .mp4 extensions.  Quicktime exports have fewer options for presets, none of which is H264.  Should I export an H264 .mp4 file and convert it outside of Premiere to .mov?  Other suggestions?  Am I missing something obvious?Screenshot (5).pngScreenshot (4).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look under Quicktime as Format.

Then twirl down the Video Codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (6).pngSorry, I wasn't clear.  When I select quicktime and twirl down the video codecs, I don't see H264 in the choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are missing some codec.

See if this doc will help.

Features and Sequence Presets missing - sequence could not be opened

But I agree with Jim: mp4 (on a usb flash drive) is so much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe chat told me that I am missing the codecs because Microsoft does not support quicktime anymore, and that if I install quicktime reader, I should have access to h264 under qt format.  Some programs do not handle mp4 very well.  Premiere itself seems to have trouble with my mp4 files.  It doesn't always link to them, and I have been told to convert them to mp2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the file extension from .mp4 to .mov.  Then, send the resulting .mov file.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dont convert to mp2

Stick to mov or mp4.

There is nothing wrong with mp4 (you are compairing 2 different things).

If Premiere has trouble with importing mp4 (

empty media cache as shown below and rename top folder mp4 is in.

FAQ: How to clean media cache files |Adobe Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..but keep an eye out for the QT Gamma shift issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H264 exports have .mp4 extensions.

That is the superior and most widely used format across the globe.  Ask the festival folks is it's acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install Quicktime player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  If I understand your issue correctly, you will probably want to choose h.264 and then whatever preset you want (if not sure and your sequence was edited to the required settings already, choose Match Source - High Bitrate).  Macs will render this into an .mov or .mp4.  Windows will usually spit out .mp4.  For all intents and purposes, they are the same things: wrappers that hold the h.264 compressed file within. I would be very surprised if your festival didn't take the .mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Format is set to H264, the resulting file will always be a MP4 regardless of platform.

The original poster needs to do the following:

Just change the file extension from .mp4 to .mov.  Then, send the resulting .mov file.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It's dumb, but the organizers specifically say "mp4 files are not acceptable".

Installing QuickTime Player doesn't help. I made sure I have the latest version installed. There is still no H.264 option listed in the codecs when QuickTime is the selected format, nor is there any preset that helps. (Motion JPEG, which is another option the film festival allows, is also not there; and of course ProRes isn't there because it's Windows.)

I don't want to export an mp4 and just rename the extension to .mov, because that doesn't change the file container format. Sure, some programs will still be able to play it, but QuickTime and mp4 are two different containers; if someone can't play mp4, then they won't be able to play the resulting file.

My plan for now is to export as mp4, then use ffmpeg to make a QuickTime file with the same H.264 stream (and the same AAC audio stream) as the mp4 file. For example, if my exported file is Filename.mp4, I would type:

ffmpeg -i Filename.mp4 -c copy Filename.mov

This runs very quickly and doesn't lose quality, because it doesn't decode and re-encode the data; it's just copying the same compressed data into the new container.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While container issues are a valid concern, it sounds like the festival is Mac based.  As such, there's little to worry about when it comes to renaming a .mp4 to .mov.

Nevertheless, an excellent tip on how to re-wrap a file with ffmpeg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Yeah, I agree that they should be able to read an mp4 file, regardless of its extension. They probably can even if they don't know they can. Seems like a big risk to take though, when they explicitly say that they can't. And if they can read the format, they should be able to read it with its correct original extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines