• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hardware decoding/encoding issue

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This month I started editing a bigger project with over 3000 video clips imported into premiere (Files from: Sony FX6 XAVC-I .MXF, Sony a6500 h.264 MP4 and DJI Mavic 2 PRO HEVC/H.265).

Latest graphics card driver installed and latest version of Premiere PRO. Program started crashing frequently about every 20 minutes, which was followed by errors "Unable to create image buffer", "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file". The screen of the computer went black and Premiere just crashed without saving the project. Usually the program crashed right after opening the project which cost me hours if not days of editing. Thank you!!!

I thought it might be a driver issue so I rolled back graphics card driver...didn't help....I rolled back version of Premiere PRO....helped only a little bit (gave me a few more minutes before crashing again). Of cource in both attempts I tried using Mercury playback OpenCL instead of CUDA and also Software Only....didn't help either. So i tried turning off any hardware acceleration in the settings and voila!!! No crashes, even on CUDA mercury playback.

Please FIX hardware encoding and decoding!!!!!

Is there any other way to fix this issue with Premiere?

PC:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHzNVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
RAM 32GB
Windows 10

Project file and media is on an external HDD
Adobe is installed on system NVME SSD
Cache is on another separate HDD

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is to have project and media on an internal drive, preferable a SSD in regard to the type of media you are using (e.g. H.265)

Also, you might want to consider transcoding the files to a more edit friendly codec or use proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the advice helped unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mechanical hard drive is fast enough for H.264 but some H.264/265 files are really hard to playback. What are your system stats? Is the CPU or GPU pegged at 100%. Is your hard drive 98% full? You might need to wipe and reload Windows. The video below demonstrats the stats. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKBCzCkvBT8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the problem persists even if I don't have any h.265 clips in my timeline. All of my hard drives have at least 50% of free space. While loading the project, RAM memory gets maxed out. Sometimes Premiere manages to load the project just fine but 80% of the time it crashes either right away or after few minutes of loading the project while unable to load any preview image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not good if the RAM is at 100%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I know that, but I think there has to be something wrong with Premiere memory managment here, as I can't imagine how much RAM you have to have in order to edit a 90min movie for example. I think 32gb of RAM should be plenty for this kind of project. I can't really find any info related to how much RAM you need to edit X amount of GB of video files. And the problems mainly persists when I have hardware encoding/decoding enabled. When it's disabled I have to wait a few minutes after the project is completely opened, Premiere then lowers the use of RAM down to 30-40% and I'm able to edit smoothly without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cash, Project file and media is on an external HDD: could be the culplrite.

3000 clips: might want to split the project up in smaller projects.

All your footage is highly compressed long gop. A format not really easy to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache is on a different drive. Only project and media are on the same drive. Format is XAVC Intra and XAVC S on Sony cameras. I know playback and editing can be choppy, but does that mean Premiere cannot even load the project because of it, even if all my timelines are closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30%-40% usage for RAM sounds about right. Perhaps there is a bug in Premire Pro when using Nvenc. Some people have stated G-SYNC can cause problems. Having said that a BIOS update might help or a wipe and reload of Windows might help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would at this point close PrPro, dump all cache files, relaunch ... create a new project file, and from Media Browser panel, select the old project file, right-click Import.

And see if there's some corruption there somewhere this gets rid of.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried dumping all cache before, but that didn't help either. It takes a long time to generate peak files afterwards so it isn't an option for me as I'm on a tight deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But did you import it into a new project? If there's a bit of corruption in the project file, this gets around that typically.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines