Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with workflow - Auto-match loudness

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

I’d like to pick your minds to see if I can improve my workflow, please bear in mind that I am not a professional.

After I complete the edit of my video I spend some time tweaking the sound. One of the tasks I perform is to level the various clips usind Adobe Auto-Match (I’m wearing a lavalier microphone and sometimes clips end up at different levels. I am also using my iPhone to record, so not really a professional production, but decent!)

Now, the auto-match works ok-ish (it keeps crashing!) and levels the volume of the clips nicely. However, when I edit content I often end up with lots of edits, sometimes very small clips. If those clips don’t have a dialogue in it, Adobe will boost the floor noise to the max as it’s trying to level that clip to the reference level.

I now have to make sure that those sections have their volume reset. It’s a time consuming task and I usually miss some.

Is there a way I could change my workflow to avoid that? Or maybe a better way to level my sound.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have a look at the Audio Track Mixer. I place all my dialog on the same audio track for each person. And then, use the Audio Track Mixer to add filters and effects to level the audio. Do some searches for tutorials on using Multiband Compressor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I am using the mixer already and I have a dedicated track for dialogues. I apply EQ, noise reduction etc on all the clips. I also have a compressor, even though not a multi-band. Happy to look into that but I am not sure it would be the solution for my problem. 

Are you suggesting to use a compressor instead of leveling the tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A compressor is one of the most useful tools in getting dialogue even ... so yes, better use of a compressor may help.

One thing that Mike Russell and many of the other experts on using Adobe DVAs ... digital video apps ... suggests is taking your dialog track to Audition, as they have a slick and fast to apply crossfade tool over there.

You simply drag across the cuts, and a crossfade is applied that is a much better one than any in Premiere. Look up Mike's Youtube channel and his dialogue advice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to try. However I received advice from a professional sound mixer - they make movie soundtracks! - and I was recommended not to use a compressor too much as it would kill the dynamic of the dialogue. Now, youtube is not a cinema feature but still he was able to tweak a short clip I sent him, reduce the aggressive compressor I had set and the sound was much better.

I shall check Mike's tutorials, could you send me a link please?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just put " Mike Russell Audition " in the YouTube search bar.

He's got a lot of good stuff. Between Mike and the folks on the Adobe Audition forum, that's the places I look for help with audio.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines