• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horrible mask feathering bug that I can't ignore or work around.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I haven't found more than a random redit post with no solutions in the 2 comments it had on this, but this bug is absolutely breaking me. Basically, whenever I try to feather an inverted mask, premiere decides to feather whatever I'm masking on the video border too. I really wish I could make it stop doing this, any help is apriciated. Images provided for context. edge feather piece of.PNGedge feather piece of but more obvious.PNG

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Fix: Turn off composite in linear color in the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix: Turn off composite in linear color in the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god it actually worked, thank you so much! I have no idea why I just could not find anything on this... Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it doesn't work. Some people think it works because the layer they are trying to mask is black and when you switch off linear compositing it becomes harder to see, but if you use any other color you can see that the problem is still there just a little less visible. See the photos below. for some reason the entire right side of the red color matte is being feathered (not as much as the mask, but if you look closely you can see the models eye shine through the red square.) In both images the problem is visible, one is linear composite on, one is linear composite off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the color matte match the sequence settings. Looks like you are on the edge.

Both screenshots are the same and feathering is on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As some other people who replied above, you are not seeing the issue. It's very subtle and I assume most people don't even notice it but it's there and sometimes it becomes very obvious depending on the kind of footage and colors you're working with.

The feathering on the left and bottom is intended, it is between the actual boundary line of the mask and the dotted line that indicates the area that should feathered, all good here. BUT - if you look to the right side of the red square, specifically where you can see a little bit of lash on the side of the square, have a look at where the eye is, can you see it shine through the red? Now check both screenshots again, you can see it shine through more in one of them and slightly less in the other. (again one has liniear compositing on the other has it off, it does not fix the issue).

Since the mask boundary and the dotted feathering line are nowhere near that part of the color matte, why can I see the eye shine through the red? The color matte's opacity is set to 100% nothing should be shining through apart from where the mask and it's featering is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI - there's another thread about this, maybe it will be more clear if you look at the expamples posted on there. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/using-a-mask-and-feathering-also-feathers-th...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, why is this still an issue? I'm googling this in 2022, years after posts on your forums are talking about the same exact bug (this is only one of other posts, some dating back to 2019). This is embarrassing!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines