• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I mute audio on source panel?

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going through rashes source panel & need to view many clips & fast.

Sound is not important at this moment & I wish to mute premier all together (still don't have timeline) and listen to music from other source along side - Thus muting computer is not an option.

How can I do it???

Thank you

Orit 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Engaged , Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

From the preferences panel, (Edit>Preferences>Audio) select Audio and untick the box "Play audio while scrubbing".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

@Edwon wrote:

unticking  "Play audio while scrubbing" only disables audio while scrubbing! I want to disable ALL audio coming from the source panel. How do you do this?

If Windows, right click on the speaker icon down right and open the Volume Mixer and click the Mute button for Premiere Pro. I imagine that it should be able to do on a Mac as well.

Averdahl_1-1632660447124.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the preferences panel, (Edit>Preferences>Audio) select Audio and untick the box "Play audio while scrubbing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unticking  "Play audio while scrubbing" only disables audio while scrubbing! I want to disable ALL audio coming from the source panel. How do you do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Edwon wrote:

If Windows, right click on the speaker icon down right and open the Volume Mixer and click the Mute button for Premiere Pro. I imagine that it should be able to do on a Mac as well.

Averdahl_1-1632660447124.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to ONLY mute the source panel, I still want to be able to hear my edit. Muting premiere mutes everything.

this a common need and people have been asking for this feature for years, do some googling and you'll see.

adobe, remind me again why I have to pay monthly when you don't listen to customer requests at all?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're asking for is not easy to achieve. There are two ways - highlight all your source clips you want to mute, right click, choose modify>audio and create a preset with zero tracks and that will kill audio. The negative with this method is you'll have to reverse this process if you want audio.

The second method would be to lay all clips on a timeline that you want to preview and simply mute the audio on that timeline when you load it into the source window. This is faster but the negative of this method is you're not referencin gthe actual source clip, but rather timeline. However you can still lay clips down as source clips, so not a major problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm aware of both of those methods they are written in other threads, both methods have their issues and are both a pain in the a$&

So we could keep going through this pain or Adobe could add one button, just one button. A mute button on the source panel is all we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just another user like you and I thought it might help. You're always welcome to add it as a feature request over at https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

In the meantime, if it's annoying you that much, maybe a manual volume control on your desk with a mute button? On my Mac I just hit F10 to mute and unmute.

Just for sanity's sake I went and checked Davinci Resolve and there wasn't a mute button on the source audio there either. There was a nice feature where you can just play the audio track of a video - but that's kinda the opposite of what you want.  I'm not super familiar with that interface so I could be wrong. I can't recall back to my Avid days - there may have been one there but it definitely wasn't a default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this feature, now,  I don't want to listen to my source monitor's audio. it's redundant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has been a feature request for 3 years already going on 4, my guess, Adobe will NEVER add it, and continue to ignore it's tenants (oops I mean customers) who hand over the money to their f-ing monopoly every month, F ADOBE

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33847612-mute-source-audio-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, actually I right click on the source panel, and select audio gain, then set a -99db

this is painfull, but I actually use only the video from the videos I import... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya your totally right, this is literally the only way I have found.  Its not hard and takes 5 seconds, you just have to remember to change the audio gain back when its time to edit the clips in timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some reason this has no effect for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listening to footage in slow motion can be hard to bare! Here's a way to mute the audio in the source monitor while you scrub through your footage in premiere pro cc. Now you don't have to listen to all that slow motion! MY GEAR https://www.stephisimms.com/services-basic Website: ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works PERFECTLY! Mutes the source window only, not the timeline. Would be more intuitive if the control was in the Source window instead of the Audio Clip Mixer window, but hey, it still solves the problem quickly and easily. Thank you, emilyk99262850!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all the clips you want to silence in the bin, right click; select Modify > Audio Channels, uncheck the media source channels, click OK, this mutes the clips until you check them back on again, make sure you click L under L and R under R, you'll understand when you see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

The fastest and easiest way to mute everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to Add in this , 
Instead of right clicking on footage - modify - select audio channel 
You can select the footage and use shortcut key - (SHIFT +G)to go directly into Modify audio channel pannel and then you can uncheck L and R.
Cheers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SHIFT + G is the default shortcut key to modify audio channels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @LaAltamira!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On OSX I do it by going to Audio Midi Setup and creating a new multi-output device, name it 'silent' or something and uncheck the audio outputs. In Premiere go to preferences > audio hardware and select the silent output you just created.

Not sure how you'd do this in Windows, but it's such a basic and useful request Adobe - give us a mute button!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift + S to toggle Audio playback when scrubbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found another way to do this. Select all your source media. Right Click > Modify > Audio Channels > Tick off L & R. Done! I was going to bang my head on the desk if I didn't find this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is possibly a non-helpful answer, but honestly, the simplest solution I have found is just to listen to your music on your phone and mute your computer. When you're ready for the sounds of the footage, switch your headphones to your computer and you're good to go. 

This works for me at least!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines