• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i export a GIF with a small file size ?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello everyone,

I am currently working on a small GIF with Adobe premiere CC but i can't seem to find a good ratio quality / size. Right now, my gif weighs 2.35Mo and i fear this is too much. The settings I found are the following (for the sequence) :

frame / sec = 15

sampling rate = 32 000HZ

image size = 665 x 90px

in the export window :

quality = 29

I must be missing something to do it right, but what is it ?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks a lot.

PS : i'm not a native english speaker, so please forgive me if there is any mistake ^^

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

I now see that you can choose an Animated GIF from Premiere, which has a single Quality slider. You might still want to consider Photoshop as it gives you far better control over the output of the GIF, like restricting the colour palette, which might help reduce your output file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere doesn't output animated GIFs as far as I know. It will just output a sequence of single-frame GIF images.  I could be wrong here.

You can use Photoshop for a self-contained GIF animation.

Regarding file size, GIFs are not well-suited for video and there is no way to match the size of an H.264 (or H.265) MP4 and retain image quality. Unless you absolutely must have a GIF, you should use an MP4 instead - much better quality, lower file size, and smoother video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for your answser but i don't understand the difference between "sequence of single-frame GIF images" and a "self-contained GIF animation". I have the possibility to export an animated GIF directly from Premiere .. ?

I know that GIFS are really not what's best regarding export quality, but this was for a small ad banner, so i had no choice there ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now see that you can choose an Animated GIF from Premiere, which has a single Quality slider. You might still want to consider Photoshop as it gives you far better control over the output of the GIF, like restricting the colour palette, which might help reduce your output file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thank you, but with Photoshop it doesn't seem possible (to me, at last) to create smooth transitions and nice effects... Or maybe there is a way to create them with Première, export them in a video format (mpeg 4 for example), open it with Photoshop and convert it in a GIF (with less colors etc) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I meant. Import your video into Photoshop and export a GIF from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I will try this next time Do you know which video format I have to choose to be able to open it with Photoshop please ? mpeg-4 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it's an old thread but for those stumble upon this thread, yes MP4 works.

It's funny how it's 2021 and Photoshop still have more control for exporting GIF than a Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines