• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I sync external audio & video with no on-camera audio?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey y'all,

I didn't do any on-camera sound and I'm trying to sync my external audio from my Zoom H5 to my Canon C300 external video files.  I've been taking the INs from when the clapper hits on both the video/audio, but can't figure out how to combine them.  Merging seems to only be for syncing, but I only have static from my C300 and I want to find a way to combine them manually and make a new clip with the external H5 audio and C300 video instead of just dragging and dropping them on the timeline- I want to make them one clip.

Let me know if you can help, I couldn't find anything online other than how to sync external audio by matching wavelengths from on-camera audio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export them to a movie file once you have them synched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to export them.  I want to combine the files as one audio/video clip that I can work with in my timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I told you how to do that. Export a DI

You dont want to merge or link so..!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh? He asked if someone knows a way to sync and you said "Once you have synced"... So I am not understanding you either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey There - If there is no on-camera sound in this situation, you're going to have to sync manually until it "looks synced" in your Program window. I try and lip sync in these situations or find a match on visual action to the audio. To move frame by frame to match the syncing as best you can hold the alt/option keys and use the bracket arrows on your keyboard to move left and right. I show you how to sync manually here in this tutorial:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add, make sure that the frame rates of the audio and video are a match or you'll get drift.  In which case, you'll want to re-render the audio to match the rate of the video, (also look out for variable bit rate vs constant bit rates).  Then sync within a matching sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell me how to check the frame rate for audio as its not showing in properties and where to see VBR, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are tools on video help dot com.  However, if the audio file seems to drift at intervals, forcing you to cut it again and again and re-sync.  That is the issue.  Then take the entire audio piece and render it out to a constant bit rate, one that matches the video and re-sync.

As a general rule, I re-render the audio to match the rate of the video before I bring it in to the project bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Clapperboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there is no clapper sound on his video as he said he has static. I just saw this now because I also have failed audio on a video clip and external audio only. I plan to sync it by eye (manually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a clapper you can sync manually. Once they are in sync you can either group them by selecting both audio and video, right clicking and selecting "group". You could also just use that sequence as a nest in a new comp, but I don't think you can get audio waveforms doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful insight. Sorry for the long delays I am overseas. I do have audio on a second camera which I have merged with my zoom recording and I was thinking about trying to line the two videos up by adjusting the opacity to sort of superimpose. And try to sync that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines