Exit

How to cut out parts of the video clip

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am absolutely new to Premiere Pro and have to learn one (simple) technique:

I have a single videoclip from which I have to remove many unwanted parts. And I want to learn the right way how to deal with that type of work in Adobe Premiere. So I am looking for a step-by-step tutorial. Can someone help?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Direct answer: double-click on the clip in the Project panel (lower right corner) while in the Edit module/workspace. That brings the clip into the source monitor, upper left corner. Play the clip to the first section you want to keep, hit the "I" key to create an "in" point, play to the end of what you want to use in that section, hit the "O" key for an outpoint. Hit the period to drop that onto the timeline. Play to the next part you want to use, hit the "I" key again, it moves the in point. P

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direct answer: double-click on the clip in the Project panel (lower right corner) while in the Edit module/workspace. That brings the clip into the source monitor, upper left corner. Play the clip to the first section you want to keep, hit the "I" key to create an "in" point, play to the end of what you want to use in that section, hit the "O" key for an outpoint. Hit the period to drop that onto the timeline. Play to the next part you want to use, hit the "I" key again, it moves the in point. Play to the place you want to end, hit the "O" key, and the period key to drop that onto the end of the timeline area down below.

Progress on through the clip like that.

Or ... alternatively ... as you make each selection with an in/out point, right-click, "Create Subclip", and give it a useful name. That creates a full list of each section you've selected. Very useful in many ways.

Now ... for general advice ...

This is a complicated and complex program, and Adobe provides a lot of help materials, both "Help" files and video tutorials, such as AdobeTV. Search for the Adobe Premiere Pro tutorials, and there's quite a bit there. Past that, while there are many useful free tutorials on YouTube/Vimeo for doing things, perhaps getting a subscription to a good service like lynda-dot-com ... and there's another more European-based I can't recall right now ... could be of use. Studying and doing along with a good video tutorial system is how I started out ... and I still use it quite a bit as I keep wading deeper into the program.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil.

You're awesome, you made my day! That is exactly what I needed.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing maybe — I am trying to follow your tutorial. Play the video in Source Monitor, Insert I nad O, but when I try to press "period" key, nothing happens. Even if I press the "Insert" button (that is the same function I think) it makes nothnig. I need to drag the selected part to the timeline by mouse.

I must be doing something wrong, can you see what it is? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the far left boxes that say V1 and A1 are blue, not charcoal ... those are the Source targeting boxes.

Source-Track Targeting.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange, I started the project again and now your tutorial from the top of this thread works perfectly. And yes, it looks like on the image you posted. So there had to be "something" I did wrong before.

Thanks once more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things have looked weird for me at times, then suddenly worked ... hey, it happens.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hit the period to drop that onto the timeline.

I don't understand this fragment. How to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a clip selected in a bin in the Project panel or visible in the Source monitor, and a track selected in the Track Targets for video/audio, then hitting the period key is the keyboard shortcut for putting that clip on that track right where the playhead is sitting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines