• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to expand tools panel??

New Here ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded to Premiere Pro CC2017, and I'm growing increasingly frustrated by the condensed tools panel with the missing/hidden buttons.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 1.27.04 PM.png

I want to expand the tools panel so that I don't have to use keyboard shortcuts or click and hold to switch tools. I noticed that a lynda course instructor was using the CC2017 version with an expanded tool bar:

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 1.27.25 PM.png

Please help! I can't find this anywhere in the preferences or panel settings!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi BHiser,

I want to expand the tools panel so that I don't have to use keyboard shortcuts or click and hold to switch tools.

I am sorry but you cannot expand the tools panel. (This is how it has been designed.)

The Latest (and Greatest!) for Premiere Pro CC and Media Encoder | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

I noticed that a lynda course instructor was using the CC2017 version with an expanded tool bar:

The tools panel has been redesigned in the latest version of CC2017. I am sure that you are followi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BHiser,

I want to expand the tools panel so that I don't have to use keyboard shortcuts or click and hold to switch tools.

I am sorry but you cannot expand the tools panel. (This is how it has been designed.)

The Latest (and Greatest!) for Premiere Pro CC and Media Encoder | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

I noticed that a lynda course instructor was using the CC2017 version with an expanded tool bar:

The tools panel has been redesigned in the latest version of CC2017. I am sure that you are following a tutorial from a previous version of CC2017.

Please share your valuable feedback here.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets add some steps  and hoops for the editors to work with,  ...dumb and pointless by design!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More signs that adobe is being run by idiots. This is a seriously idiotic design change. Why don't these idiots give editors the options of using t hings the way they are used to. The new crappy version of the tool panel could easily been an option in the preference. I just lost an hour trying to figure out where the freaking ripple edit tool went when I tried a project in 2k18 because it the features I needed to use were too buggy in earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who asked for this? What problem did this solve? Don't fix what aint broke!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with the original poster that this is terribly annoying. At least make this customization so we can turn this grouping on and off.

Sorry this is a fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which lesson would that be?

This incorrect one cannot extend the toolbar.

edit: screendump in top post shows original tool bar before Adobe change it into PS like toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lovely Ann!

How does one expand the tools in the manner you have shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that was my own design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aww too bad. I wish they would rectify this. It is not a good idea to add additional layers to a user interface that is already bogged down by too many clicks. The Premiere interface is terribly clumsy compared to the superior Avid editing interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Tools were added to PrPro 2017.1, specifically:

1. Type
  2. Vertical Type
  3. Rectangle
  4. Ellipse
  5. Pen (as a free shape tool, though it was already there as a keyframe tool for the timeline, which still works)

Keeping all the tools inline would have made it too long too see everything in most views. Making it two columns wide would have used up UI real estate that you may want to use for other panels like the Program Monitor or Effect Controls. So we borrowed from Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator and other apps, and grouped similar tools into wells. Please note that your assigned shortcuts will still summon tools which are not at the top of their wells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn,

thank you for your reply. permit me to be blunt. Premiere is a video editing program. It is not a photo retouching tool. I think it is unwise to bury functions behind a "well" because photo retouching programs do the same.

Why? Video editors perform thousands of operations every day usually in an effort to meet a deadline. Don't make us click or search needlessly for critical tools.

I have been a professional editor for over 25 years. In that time I have used and mastered Avid, dabbled with Final Cut and I have used Premiere solidly for seven years.

In  my opinion, while Premiere is excellent in a number of regards, the interface lags behind. Of the tools presented in the timeline tools palette, the rolling edit is the one I use the most. Aside from rolling edit, selection and razor, the rest of the tools seem illogical and useless. Because I favor the rolling edit you can see why it is annoying that it is buried behind a tool I never use.

I really wish Premiere's user interface was up to par with Avid, I really do. I wish the Trim mode made sense so that I could rely on it for thousands of trims. Unfortunately I almost never use it. Same goes with any semblance of a slip tool. Your timeline editing tools are sorely lacking and you would be wise to let go of your photoshop analogies and look at a system that has mastered those tools and incorporate some of that logic into premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bitethehand  wrote

thank you for your reply. permit me to be blunt. Premiere is a video editing program. It is not a photo retouching tool. I think it is unwise to bury functions behind a "well" because photo retouching programs do the same.

Why? Video editors perform thousands of operations every day usually in an effort to meet a deadline. Don't make us click or search needlessly for critical tools.

After Effects and Audition both have tool wells too, but bluntness is fine and your point is taken.

So the best thing to do is to make sure that your request gets submitted. Thanks in advance for your feedback there.

For now, Hotkeys and Key Combos should save you clicks, which you can customize as needed in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog. For example, you can press N and Rolling Edit will come to the top and stay there until you switch to a different tool or close the project/app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've been a professional editor for over 25 years? Surely you have one of these then, as you should well know that most editors only use shortcuts.

41bBQYNdk9L.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have about nine keyboards like this. I have edited myself and managed edit teams for more than two decades - large projects, shared media, multiple rooms, high profile projects in tight deadlines. I could tell you down to the hour how many man-hours was lost per week editing on FCP vs Avid. We all use keyboard shortcuts but make no mistake there are many "fast" editors who incorporate the mouse into their workflow - who can blow the doors off "mouseless" editors in a speed test. At any rate whether it is faster or slower it is not an excuse for burying important tools into wells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much doubt that anyone using a mouse to go through menus etc to get a tool is faster than me clicking a point on the timeline with my mouse and pressing a key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh so you do use a mouse...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah to scrub through my timeline, that's about it, i use shortcuts for everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ehhh most video editors don't even use a mouse,

This is my layout

Untitled6.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a feature request I made recently, and it would help solve this frustration as well as give more efficient use of screen space. I don't use the tools panel but if I could do this then I would leave it open regardless because sometimes I forget the key I've set for less-used tools like rate stretch. If anyone else agrees please request it!

Allow us to put the tools panel next to the workspaces, where there is also more than enough room to fully expand the main tools:

Tools panel FR 1.png

And even better, give us more screen space, by moving the whole thing down to that bar right below the timeline which sits empty all day:

Tools panel FR 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i think more options to customize or make use of wasted space would be ideal. there should be some kind of button system that you could program your favored buttons at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely hate this change and I'd love to hear Adobe's reason for making the change and "compressing" all the icons into a few icons. Any way you rearrange the Tools Panel there's more than enough room to stuff all the icons in that panel.

I use keyboard shortcuts as well, but I despise that Adobe is once again just messing around with stuff simply to I guess, make it look like their 2017 version is "different" than the previous versions.

What is the reason for the change, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubtful any "Adobe" will be on here to answer, this is primarily a user-to-user board with overview from Product Support staff (who are not in the same chain as product development).

That said, some months back the product team did note this change as part of I guess cleaning up and simplifying the visual appearance of the program. In some statement or other. Maybe a roll-out statement for NAB or something.

Some like it, some are irritated. Didn't seem a huge thing that needed work, though ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue and found a bit of a workaround. I wanted to create a custom toolbar like you can for Illustrator and found this.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/tools.html

I basically ungrouped all the tools I no longer wanted grouping and they are now basically a 'custom' toolset. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idiotic changes like these have firmed my Resolve to move to another program for editing. Davinci didn't have to worry about some idiot coming in and rearranging or hiding his tool from him like this.There are better programs with better prices that don't rely on the subscription scam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines