• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to get reverb to keep going after the clip ends

Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when applying reverb to a clip, the reverb stops abruptly when the clip stops,   this makes the reverb effect fairly useless in a lot of cases i think, and necessitates creating an individual audio track  using reverb as an insert in order to get the desired effect.

it would be nice if there was a way to toggle between "end when clip ends" and "keep going after clip ends"   for those long reverbs

it would also be nice to be able to do this with delays etc

maybe there is a way but i just didnt find it yet...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

One option is to nest the clip, then use a black video after the clip, add the reverb to the nested sequence,  and keyframe away.

From Jarle Leirpoll's book.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you apply some silence at the end of the clip to give it more time to "resolve" the reverb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bocksummercamp

i guess so yea, but doing destructive editing (even while your just adding something)  seems a little counter intuitive.  i hope that at some point adobe would consider adding a toggle switch, or just making it default that the reverb would trail on after the clip,  because i think in 90% of cases thats what the user would be looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option is to nest the clip, then use a black video after the clip, add the reverb to the nested sequence,  and keyframe away.

From Jarle Leirpoll's book.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

niel, thats a very clever workaround,  thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil thats genius , I was adding dialogue to a project that needed this solution.
I nested the audio into an adjustment layer and it worked perfectly
Many Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by using time remapping to the sound layer. I created two key-frames at the end and I could push the last one as far as I needed. The reverb obviously lasted until the last key-frame ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Another way to handle this is to put the reverb effect on an entire audio track, rather than just on individual clips. Go to the "Audio Track Mixer" window, then click the > symbol in the upper left to expand the effects/sends area. On the desired audio track, use the drop down menu in an FX slot to add the reverb. You can then double click the reverb to bring up the effects UI. This method not only solves the reverb tail issue, but it also lets you easily adjust common reverb settings for several clips when you want them all to sound the same. You can even do fancy stuff like have the same reverb be used across multiple tracks via an FX send.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesen't work either. I tried everything: Clip, Track, sending Aidoo to a Submix....as soon as the file is finished, the reverb tail stops. this is just not professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as soon as the file is finished, the reverb tail stops. this is just not professional

Are you expecting that you can add reverb, and the program will automatically 'extend' the number of frames until the end of the reverb? That doesn't sound like something I'd expect.

The comment above, add black video track, nest the clip and black video, then add reverb works as I would expect. As you have added length to the file so there's a place for the reverb to exist ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil

Another Neil here 😉
What you suggest, is what I expect. If I put a reverb on a Clip, Bus or Track I expect it to tail out as long as it is expected to. I come from the audio world. meaning I work also with Adobe Audition. This very thing is no issue there. I like premiere pro a lot. But there are like 10 audio bugs that are really a big questionmark to me.

Cheers
Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always fun to run into another Neil! We're not all that common.  😉

The Audition team is the sound team for all Adobe's DVA ... digital video audio apps ... so it's kinda weird how some things work different in Pr than in Au. And this issue has been brought up several times over the years, but not heavily. So I think it's something that simply hasn't jumped to the top of the "why don't we make this like it is in Audition" list. 

An "Idea" post on this forum might be useful though, at least maybe get a dev involved in the discussion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know from my projects that putting the reverb effect on the audio track rather than the individual clips does the trick. The downside is that all clips on that track will have the reverb unless you add some parameter automation. However, more often than not, I want to reuse the same reverb effect multiple times for different clips, so it's actually helpful to have a track that is dedicated for reverb. I like having the reverb effect set to 100% wet mix, with no dry signal, I will then duplicate any audio clips which need reverb down onto the reverb track, and I can set their gain to determine how much reverb they get. There are tons of ways to get the same result, but I'm liking the 100% wet dedicated reverb track with duplicate clips. You can do fancier stuff with track audio routing.

The track method doesn't work to add a reverb tail to the end of the entire sequence. If you want your reverb tail to extend over black video at the very end of your sequence, then you can just add some black video for as long as you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love good descriptions of how everyone does anything. It seems like everybody does everything differently, and it's pretty awesome to get some new ideas of ways to do something.

Thanks for posting!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was working in PrPro 24.1 today and tried the nest trick. It worked on the timeline but when I went to export the video, the export was still cutting the reverb short! What fixed it was adding some muted audio after the SFX in the nest, but just adding black video no longer seems to work.

Annoying that the timeline/export were not the same could be a catastrophic bug for some people using this hack, as it can only be caught in QC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines