• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make adjustment layer affect only for one track? Please

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I'm using Premiere for many years but I got stuck with this.

I have a bunch of tracks with the video parts (music video) and I need to correct (color) some of these tracks with the Adjusment layer.

But the adjusment layer affecting for all the tracks below!(

Need your PRO help please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe!

The quote from your link "When you play the sequence, note that all the clips on the underlying tracks are affected by changes you made to the adjustment layer." So I dont need this

Please look at this scheme, I've tried to describe the problem in this screenshot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26719799/11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're going to have to lift all the footage you don't want corrected onto a track above the adjustment layer track. The only other option would be to shoot the project through to AE and get funky with precomposing adjustment layers or linking your CC filters with an expression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulM-Aus

Thanks for your suggestion.

But if I'll lift my footage above (with the Adjutment layer) this adjustment layer will now affect to all the tracks below( so I have the same problem.

Yes, I can do this with AE, but is there is no way to do the same "simple thing"  in Premiere only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your situation is you've got two sets of clips and you want to apply an adjustment layer to each? In that case I'd wait till the edit was locked off, keeping your two sets of clips on separate layers, then duplicate the timeline, apply one adjustment layer overall and turn off the unwanted vision layer and do likewise in the other timeline, then combine the two. A bit complex but not too difficult to make revisions (just keep one of the two timelines as your master and slab copy paste any edit changes into the other). Alternatively just copy and paste the two grades individually. Either way there's lots of razoring and manual mouse/pen work but it shouldn't take you too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for this nice suggestion!

But anyway, the copy/paste work is a bit lazy in case when the cutting process will starts again..

individually copy/paste you mean for each piece? its a lot of work, especially when I want to change whole color again.. do this again with each piece? Or I've something missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of adjustment layers, use nesting.

1. Remove both Adjustment layers.

2. Select one track of clips, right click, Nest.

3. Repeat for the other track of clips.

4. Apply effects to the nested layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim Simon

I've been used nesting for many times before. And in that case I loosing the cutting process with all of the tracks in one time, because they are become a whole one track. And there is no option something about to get a fast "unnest" (

I need to cut and see all the pieces in tracks in one time to get the right time connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record:

1. There will be 'unnest' option in upcoming CC.

2. You are not prohibited from cutting nested sequence(s) instead of original clips.

For example, you can drop all your unedited footages intended for the track 1 into a sequence and place an adjustment layer above. Similarly create another sequence for the track 2. Drop both sequences into a master sequence and cut your track 1 and track 2.

Or being inside already edited master sequence borrow the creative idea from this Ann's tutorial and create 'Fast Cuts Restoring Tool' for your future nested sequence out of any sort of asset: an adjustment layer, black video, colour matte etc.

Keep it temporarily somewhere in an upper track. Then nest your track 1 clips with the 'full length' adjustment layer and apply 'Fast Cuts Restoring Tool' onto your brand new nested sequence. Repeat all the steps for your clips on track 2 (or whatever number it is).

Well, you got the idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik, thanks, it's nice idea, wow!)

But again this will works for one time to change, and when the nested will be cutted - and you'll want again changes - you must do this process again.

All this ideas is not so hard, but all of them is goes through the "ass"(

The best thing I see is some "effect" for the Adjustment Layer (or whatever) where I can choose affect to separate tracks. Maybe Adobe guys can do something like this in next versions? Please? It must be very easy to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this sounds like an interesting feature request. I was about to say something stupid like "you can doubleclick on the nest and edit the original" when I realized that would make it impossible to see the whole thing in context.

So, what would be cool would be a way to restrict an Adjustment layer to particular tracks. Kind of like the way we select a track matte. But one that would allow multiple tracks for each adjustment layer.

Ooo. I can see how that might work pretty nicely.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven L. Gotz, thanks! Exactly what Im saying. That would be very cool, because for many years there were no real ability to color correct a bunch of cuts when you working in a huge project, its a problem. No youtube tutorials for now - how to work with a bunch of tracks and cuts, because all of this work goes only through the everyones creativity wich is not easy sometimes..

The first big step from Adobe was - Adjustment Layers! That's a huge step, thank you, Adobe team! And there is just one small step needed - the some kind of plugin/effect/option wich will be restrict affect for selected tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been an option in Photoshop for years. Mount an adjustment layer in the stack but specify it to affect only the layer directly under it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like the clipping option in Photoshop! Thatwould be a nice feature to include in upcoming updates of the software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also agree that this would be a good Feature Request, if not included in PrPro CC.

In Photoshop, one can link an Adjustment Layer to a regular Layer, so that it does NOT affect any other Layers below that Adjustment Layer. In Ps, it's just a matter of creating the Adjustment Layer above the Layer that one wishes to have it affect, then just Alt+click on the boundary between the Layer, that you wish to affect, and the Adjustment Layer.

This capability has been available, since Adjustment Layers were added to Ps. However, I do not know the coding differences between Ps's Adjustment Layers and those in PrPro - might be easy, or might not.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so obvious, it hurts...

Anyone who's worked with Photoshop knows that the ability to apply an adjustment layer allows you to do things that are otherwise onerous, tedious or impossible. I hope that Adobe's developers are aware just how much this is needed within Premiere and are at this very moment coding it into the next release.

So come on everyone, fill out a feature request at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform and let's get this implemented!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irrespective of whether a targetable adjustment layer might be a nice feature to request, here is another workaround still based on the magic 'Fast Cuts Restoring Tool', but with no nesting:

- keep your whole layer-cake in the master sequence;

- when done editing your clips in the Track 1, create new adjustment layer for the track (if you are re-editing, delete all pieces of the previous adjustment layer for the track except very first one, drag its tail and expand so as to get 'full length' adjustment layer);

- apply the 'Fast Cuts Restoring Tool' onto the brand new adjustment layer;

- repeat the same steps for your clips on the Track 3 (or whatever number it is).

The drawback (or maybe the feature): if you're dabbling with opacity in any way and clips from Track 1 and Track 3 overlap, the adjustment layer from the Track 4 will interfere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man! I can't believe I did not even think of that! Thank you with a million emoji's even if it's a temporary fix! Haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to give this a go with a project I'm working on. I think you might possibly have saved the day. Will let you know how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2016 May 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 3 year old thread... but a very useful one, because unfortunately that feature (target an adjustment layer to specific tracks) has never been implemented! All I can say is that I met Al Mooney (Premiere product manager) a week ago, and brought up the idea of applying effects at track level. He said "interesting idea".

One thing that has been added is "master-side fx": the ability to add effects at the master clip level. Turns out it works for adjustment layers, too! So to add to the thread's list of workarounds, I sometimes like to throw an adjustment layer, chop it up so it's only above the clips I want to affect, and then any effect adjustment applies to the entire, customized section. It's worth it in certain circumstances.

For some reason, masks are excluded from master-side fx. Hopefully it gets added in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put in a feature request for 'effects groups', the ability to add group, say a or b or c....to a clip and then and then be able to add effects to that group. Any changes to the group effect settings would change for every clip in that group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that such a function would be wonderful! Maybe something similar to photoshop in which you can tell the program to only affect the layer underneath or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really strange to me that this is not an obvious capability. It adds so much time when you have a long timeline and you only want to apply an adjustment layer to one track. I agree that nesting everything, by experience, is not helpful for me as a solution. All of the suggestions in here are hacks that don't really answer the original question, but it's nice that everyone is trying to help. Sometimes I wonder how much contextual usability testing adobe does with power users because I run into missing features on a regular basis. I'd love to see them try to handle premiere and ae the way that they are trying to have XD be user focused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. 

Within 15 minutes working on any non-trivial project you immediately need

1) adjustment layers that can target specific tracks

2) ability to have (pre)sets of effects that can be edited over time and every clip subject to the preset will be auto-updated

This is so painfully obviously necessary I cannot believe this product is as old as it is and still missing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines