• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Nudge Text (using new Type Tool in April 2017 release)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I nudge text that was created with the new Type Tool using the keyboard?  When I try the arrow keys (or arrow keys with modifier keys) it just moves the playhead.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Essential Graphics Panel (EGP) and the Text tool (which activates it, really) use the Effects Control panel for adjusting parameters. Actually, like most other effects ... but very different from the old (now "Legacy") title panel.

So go to the ECP, twirl down the text controls, and do your movements there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I found those controls, but adjusting parameters isn't as convenient or as precise.  I'm looking for a way to nudge text using the keyboard.

Usage:

I'd like to select multiple text objects/containers (something else I can't figure out how to do) and nudge them all over a few pixels and down a few pixels.  Right now, it looks like I have to select the first one, click in the x position box, adjust the x parameter, click in the y position box, adjust the y parameter, then repeat those steps for all the objects, hoping I get them all the same.

I realize this is "version 1.0" of the new type tool way of doing things.  If this isn't functionality doesn't exist yet, I'll probably stick with the legacy title tool until it's here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not at a my editing suite right now, but I did see someone doing a movement of multiple things in a demo ... I'll have to sit down & figure how that was done sometime early next week. Just home from NAB, kinda running to catch up now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck Neil? Selecting multiple objects, including text, within the same EGP and nudging them just isn't working. I'm using the latest version of Premiere (see screenshot)

Thanks

Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 12.40.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen something where someone nested their graphic and then used the standard Motion controls in the ECP to move the whole thing around. Haven't tried that yet myself.

Ann's right of course ... feature-request the heck out of it ... give the team direction.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've left my feature request. In my opinion, something like photoshop where you can select, group or link layers and move them together (and using the arrow keys) would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution to this issue, I found this issue annoying as well.

1). Select the text you want to edit in the timeline.

2). Click on the preview window, make sure there is a blue border around the image.

3). Go to your Effect controls and select Position, make sure that it is highlighted.

4). You should be able to now adjust the specific title's position using the arrow keys now, without it moving the playhead in your timeline.

I hope this was helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This way you are moving the entire frame not just the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is making me nuts, too, that it is not possible to multi-select more essential graphics objects and nudge them precisely.

This EG thing is a good idea i think, but at the moment there are so many flaws with it.

It's seems like there was only little or no BETA test before releasing it to public.

Where can i line up for testing?

Would like to give comprehensive feedback on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the best info on how & what tools are available at the moment, I'll ping jstrawn​

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select multiple layers within the same Graphic at once using the current release - Pr 12.0.1 x 069. It was also possible in 12.0 but we made a few enhancements to it in 12.0.1. Nudging is a separate feature request, one which we recognize the importance of. So that is a priority, but I can't really say how high right now. I can never speak about what we are planning to release or when, not so much for the sake of corporate secrecy, but because I don't want to promise something that ends up changing by the time we actually release. Neil can probably tell you how to request entry to our beta program, and using the wishform is also a fine way to send feedback, as is a thread like this. Both of which are available to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jstrawn,

I'm trying to use EG more now that Adobe has made LT's imminent demise official and I want to add that not being able to nudge individual EG elements with the arrow keys when selected (blue bounding box) is a major, massive PITA!  Why this wasn't introduced from the get go given that LT has had this ability for ages defies all logic and frankly is a huge disservice to your customers.  PLEASE fix this ASAP (i.e. not 10 years from now)

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mapping for this is available, and has been since the 14.x series came out. At that time they ported nearly all the large set of key-shorts that have been for the Titler so they could be used for graphics ... period. It was something they mentioned at the time in the "official blog", and I posted about it, but I think a large percentage of the user base totally missed that improvement.

And yea, nudging your graphics elements by one or five (your choice) is HUGE.

On my machine, I've got Ctrl/arrow keys set for this in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

Search "nudge" and then set the keys you want in the Essential Graphics panel listing.

Now if we'd just get a real shapes library ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying Neil.

However, it seems to me like complete utter nonsense that separate shortcuts need to be assigned, remembered and used.  Why not just resort to the same old arrow & Shift+arrow keys users have been using for ages to nudge one or more selected elements in the LT, or used to nudge selected clips, pictures or even entire EG titles in the Program Monitor?  These keys are also used in all other Adobe programs, so why break this convention in EG???

Once again rather than taking the simple, elegant, logical, convenient, consistant, and frankly, respectful route, it appears the Pr team botched this up with a silly, inconvenient workflow that forces users to assign and remember yet another set of keyboard shortcuts when there's no good reason whatsoever for it!

When will this design nonsense end? 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then set those as you wish them to be. These are all settable by the user. That's just what I selected.

With all these panels, so many of the keyboard shorts are panel-specific, and that certainly is a pain. But ... you can use it and get around things. Or get a button-box as I call them to put tons of key-shorts & macros available at one tap.

Many  of  my colorist friends working in Resolve have multiple Streamdecks as well as their micro through advanced control panels. Looking at some of their suites, they've got like two big Streamdecks and two 'regular' ones plus their Advanced surface and whatever else. Why? They have so freaking many key-shorts they're using all the time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair, setting up and remembering an extra set of shortcuts isn't the end of the world.

But also to be fair, there was no good reason for Adobe to do this vs using the same shortcuts they already use to nudge things everywhere else in their own software, including Pr.  Why unnecessarily complicate things when it's of zero benefit to users but rather causes inconvenience and frustration?

Imagine a car that properly signals left and right, but when you're in certain parts of the city, you need to brake at the same time to signal left or right, otherwise it won't work.  Wouldn't make any sense, right?  Well, that's exactly what Adobe did with nudging EG elements.  Want to nudge an EG title?  No problem!  Just select it and use the arrow keys like you always have in LT, Photoshop and everywhere else!  Want to nudge any element within an EG title?  HA!  The shortcut keys you've come to rely on WON'T WORK!  You need to set up new shotcuts... but don't you dare set those shortcuts to the arrow keys (or Shift+arrow) otherwise other functions you've always used with those keys (such as step forward/back) won't work anymore! 

If there ever was a massive middle finger given by Adobe to good sense and respectful design, then this is it.

It seems some decision makers in the Pr team are completely out of whack when it comes to designing things elegantly, intelligently, and with respect for longstanding conventions.  It would be nice to see more people demanding that things work properly rather than making excuses for their incomprehensible design decisions. 😞

Something tells me that if anyone at Adobe reads this, they'll think "Who does this guy think he is?!" rather than thinking "Hmmm... maybe he's got a point and we did screw up". 

I'd love to be proven wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then set them to the arrow key ... yea, would be nice if they set them there for us but they are pretty quick to set.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

You're missing the point.  Why would I complain about having to manually set shortcuts to the arrow keys?  That would be a silly waste of time.  What I am complaining about is that even if someone sets their EGP nudging shortcuts to the arrow keys, it doesn't work.  The arrow keys and Shift+arrow keys work for nudging everything... except for individual EG title assets.  That's the issue at hand.

Or have you found a way to move individual EG title assets with the arrow keys while also preserving arrow key functions in the Timeline such as previous/next frame and go to previous/next edit point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Program monitor is selected ... has "focus" ... the blue highlights around it ... yes, I can nudge the selected graphics elements using the arrow keys just fine. After I reset those in the Program monitor to the arrow keys.

Which then work to jump the clips in the timeline when the timeline panel has focus.

It's how those flipping panel-focus key-shorts work. I'm not so thrilled by how many are dependent on panel, but then ... there are so many possible key-shorts to be chosen by users I don't know any other way they could handle it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+shift+arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There - There is not a way to nudge the text at this time, you can select the object and move it with your selection tool in the program monitor or use the position controls from the essential graphics panel. Nudging the text with the arrow keys on the the keyboard is a feature request I've also made as it will make it easier to move graphics with precision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for all the answers. Will keep an eye on future updates!

For simple titles the essential graphics is OK at the moment.

For more complex arrangements i will keep using external tools as an workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread, but as far as in Premiere v22.4 in 2022, on the Mac, holding the Command key while pressing arrow keys does the trick for nudging text or graphics. Have been looking for this for a long time. Not sure if it is a newly added feature. (I assume for Windows, it would be perhaps the Control key?) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines