How to restore deleted segment between two clips?

Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say this is a segment of a video clip and each letter is a frame: jklmnopqrst

Once in a while I find I have edit like this on the timeline: jkpqr (middle and last part deleted) and it was done so long ago I can no longer undo it, but want to restore it to jklmnopqr. jk would be one clip and pqr would be another clip.

One way to do this is to delete pqr, make a bigger space there, then extend jk into jklmnopqr

But because extending the clip is by eyeball, I could end up with jklmnopq or jklmnopqrs (off by 1 frame or more) unless I zoom to frame level and compare the clips frame by frame. This example is shortened actual clips are minutes long not just a few frames.

Is there a quicker and more precise way to do this?

This happens when editing a program to fit a given total length, so I delete stuff. But sometimes I over delete and need to put some back.

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would no restore but hit F to load the source clip into the source monitor. Set new in and oudpoint and insert or overwrite.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me fill in the details.

Put the cursor on the last frame of the clip, in this case "r". Hit F to load the source clip at that frame. Mark this location in the source clip. Now move to the first frame "j" in the timeline and hit F again. Now mark this as IN point in the source monitor, and move to the next marker, then mark it as OUT point. Then move this clip from the source window to the timeline. This would be "jklmnopqr".

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to revise my method. I'm learning new stuff as I go.

The first part is the same as above:

Put the cursor on the last frame of the clip, in this case "r". Hit F to load the source clip at that frame. Mark this location in the source clip.

Make sure there is enough room behind the jk clip because the new clip will be put there.

Now double click on the jk clip. This puts the jk clip in the source monitor in a different mode. Moving the in and out point in the source monitor will change the clip's length in the timeline.

Go to the next marker (the one you mark in the previous step), then click mark out. Done.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Make your promotional social content with Adobe Express.

Get started quickly with free templates: