Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to retain original export quality?

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use my GoPro 8 for cycling. Once I check the raw file on my laptop it looks gorgeous in 2.7k 30fps. But once I edit the video and export it my colours are washed out compared to the original. I tried the LUTs gamma correction thing, but it just makes the video darker, it still doesn't look like the original file when viewing on my laptop (the original file and exported files look different quality). How do I keep the exact same colours in the exported file as it is in the raw original file?

Also pixelation problem (I'm a horrible noob to all of this), but I found out you need higher MBPs the higher the resolution. I did 100 MBPs for my 2.7k 30fps video and the file still doesn't look as good as the raw original one when viewing on my laptop, I can still notice a drop in quality, especially if you're moving fast, things get more pixelated. There is no pixelation when viewing the raw video file on my laptop, it looks gorgeous.

So what export settings should I be using for the file to look exactly as beautiful and vibrant without the washed out colours and pixelation as the raw file does when viewing on my laptop compared to the exported file? I just want my 2.7k 30fps video to look exactly the same when exported as it looks in raw file form. Exporting it seems to crap out the quality and or make the video seem different (like washed out colours and or pixelation) from the original file.

How do I solve this issue?

https://ibb.co/TwZ88cP

Thank You

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link does not work: please use Youtube instead of us having to download from some unknown site.

Please do not call it a raw file: raw is something entirely different.

Post screenshot of export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working? Link should be working, works fine for everyone else..

https://ibb.co/TwZ88cP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Ann, I have never used this form before I don't believe but I've been with Adobe for many years. Here is my example and question I have.  I do lots of River Nature videos.  When I go out on the river, I'll shoot maybe 2 hours of footage. Since I'm out on a raft, a lot of the shakey footage is unusable. Out of the 2 hour shoot (maybe 1500 plus GB) I'll only really need and want to keep the A plus shots. Perhaps only 20 minutes of the 2 hours is usuable. I've been trying to find out for sometime now. How to trim all the bad out and keep only the good and then export it. At this stage the footage won't be graded or tweaked. I just want to export my Panasonic G9ii 10 bit 422 Vlog hi rez clips after triming .(and other cameras too, gopro, Mavic 3 drone ect.) . EXAMPLE: I might have a clip that is 3 minutes long, but really only need 20 secs of an eagle coming at me. After a day of shooting I want to do this trimming process and keep one long reel of the day of only the A plus shots.  What is my best bet export wise that will maintain the same quality and bit rate and I will color grade and tweak down the road when I'm ready to do so. I have tried saving in pro res a time or 2, but I have found that the 20 secs I want to save in way larger then the entire 3 minute clip. The idea is just to save the good stuff and have it be as good or the same as the quality of the original. I suppose perhaps it's not possible as I'd like it to be.  Please advise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also Ann, How will I know if and when you get back to me. Will I see it only in my email or where? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how my files differ:

Original file (unedited, straight from SD card): https://ibb.co/hRcgc4t

Exported file with LUTs gamma correction and 100 Mbps: https://ibb.co/hggC0tD

Exported file without LUTs gamma correction (100 Mbps): https://ibb.co/PQPYC6d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the specs of your gopro footage? I'm guessing it is using some HDR trickery that Pr fails to see or interprets wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Can you share the specs of your gopro footage?"

I'm sorry I'm a horrible noob at this, this is an insane rabbit hole. Do you mean share the settings of my GoPro or original file details / description on my PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting it seems to crap out the quality and or make the video seem different (like washed out colours and or pixelation) from the original file.

By @Ignas5EAA

Regarding the pixelation, how does it look if you export a couple of seconds to Apple ProRes instead of H.264? If you then import that file into Premiere Pro, how does it look?

Unfortunately, the H.264 encoder in Premiere Pro have major issues with footage with motion in it, such as cycling. Use another encoder that are not based on MainConcept code. Personally i use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 7 (pegasys-inc.com) for all my H.264 encodes. It´s not free though.

And, uncheck Maximum Render Quality since you are not scaling the footage.

Averdahl_0-1656330128515.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And, uncheck Maximum Render Quality since you are not scaling the footage."

What does "scaling the footage" mean in practical terms to someone who has no idea what it means and has no real experience with video editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has no real experience with video editing?

By @Ignas5EAA

You picked an editing program with a very steep learning curve.

If it just for home video might want to consider Premiere Elements.

Will save a lot of stress.

And please use the forum or YouTube to upload an example.

Users (certainly me) here are NOT eager to download unknown files.

AnnBens_0-1656331643334.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And, uncheck Maximum Render Quality since you are not scaling the footage."

What does "scaling the footage" mean in practical terms to someone who has no idea what it means and has no real experience with video editing?

By @Ignas5EAA

Scaling is when you scale down or scale up the footage from it´s original resolution, iow lowering the resolution or upping the resoultion.

Your footage/Sequence Setting is set to 2704x1520 and since you export to 2704x1520 no scaling is happening thus Maximum Render Quality is not needed.

If you would export from 2704x1520 to let´s say 1920x1080 Maximum Render Quality can come in handy if you are doing software only encodes. If you use a hardware encode when having a compatible graphic card Maximum Render Quality is not needed at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all too complicated for me to use YouTube to film my computer and what I'm doing on it, I don't know this stuff, as I said I'm a total noob when it comes to this. All I want is to edit my GoPro cycling vids and I want to see them the same quality as I see them when I watch them in the SD card. PP seems to downgrade the quality of the videos. Either washed out colours or pixelation, what kind of program is this? I thought this was the high end movie / tv series maker program that will give you the absolute best results (I know it's a steep learning curve, but at least basic editing)?

Didn't understand half of the things you said sorry 😞

I thought "Maximum Render Quality" means exactly that - you're going to get the best quality rendered file..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My latest edit (2.7k - 2704x1520, 30 fps). H.624 and 37 Mbps. The colours are washed out compared to the original SD card file and there's slight pixelation when moving in places where there's non on the SD card raw file..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5R88Ig0_AQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found googling..

"Maximum Render Quality maximizes the quality of motion in rendered clips and sequences. Selecting this option often renders moving assets more sharply. At maximum quality, rendering takes more time, and uses more RAM than at the default normal quality."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover over the text you get a tool-tip.

AnnBens_0-1656333345273.png

The Ultimate Guide to Premiere Pro's Render Quality Settings Jarle Leirpoll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found googling..

"Maximum Render Quality maximizes the quality of motion in rendered clips and sequences. Selecting this option often renders moving assets more sharply. At maximum quality, rendering takes more time, and uses more RAM than at the default normal quality."

By @Ignas5EAA

Yes, and it also says "Maximum Render Quality often makes highly compressed image formats, or those containing compression artifacts, look worse because of sharpening.".

Your source footage is indeed a highly compressed format and may contain compression artifacts and thus it can look worse because of the sharpening taking place. So please, at least try to un-check it to see if there is a difference. 🙂

How did the renders to Apple ProRes look when you imported it? Better than the H.264?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How did the renders to Apple ProRes look when you imported it? Better than the H.264?"

It fixed the washed out colours, but it was only 10 Mbps so the video was incredibly laggy and choppy. How do I increase Mbps with Apple ProRes? 2.7k doesn't work with 10 Mbps, especially cycling footage..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How did the renders to Apple ProRes look when you imported it? Better than the H.264?"

It fixed the washed out colours, but it was only 10 Mbps so the video was incredibly laggy and choppy. How do I increase Mbps with Apple ProRes? 2.7k doesn't work with 10 Mbps, especially cycling footage..

By @Ignas5EAA

That´s odd, if i render out a 2704x1520 sequence to 2704x1520 Apple ProRes LT i get around 185 Mbps. To get a higher bitrate, change to Apple ProRes 422 but mind you that the file size will be huge. Apple ProRes LT is often more than enough if one upload it to YouTube.

If the footage was laggy it indicates that the hard disk have trouble to sustain the data rate required to playback the footage. Apple ProRes files are huge comparing to compressed footage such as H.264. Internal disk or external? Spinning disk or SSD? USB connected, or?

If you have the disk space and the internet speed, try to upload the Apple ProRes file directly to YouTube to avoid further encodes. I do shorter videos than you do, but i always upload the Apple ProRes LT files directly to YouTube.

But yes, i do get that it´s not possible for everyone and that it consumes disk space. But, it is a great trick to trouble shoot cases like this to confirm how the footage looks and if the H.264 encoder is to blame or not, or if it´s the software media player to blame such as QuickTime/VLC/PotPlayer, etc.

If you are on a Mac and watch the footage in QuickTime Player that´s explains the washed out colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 laptop. SSD drive.

"To get a higher bitrate, change to Apple ProRes 422 but mind you that the file size will be huge."

"If you have the disk space and the internet speed, try to upload the Apple ProRes file directly to YouTube to avoid further encodes. I do shorter videos than you do, but i always upload the Apple ProRes LT files directly to YouTube."

I genuinely have no idea how to do that or half of what you said means, I'm sorry, this is extremely hard for me, I have no idea what to do 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought this was the high end movie / tv series maker program that will give you the absolute best results 

By @Ignas5EAA

Operating high-end software required knowledge. Not just to operate the program but the theory behind all the stuff you are using within the program

Users get the impression using a high end program its all done automatically, but it's rather the opposite.

User has controle over (nearly) everything opposite a consumer program with just one mouse click and limited control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to make a short simple video it takes ages because you have to know the program like a programmer, the absolute ins and outs. I just want to upload my cycling videos to YouTube as how they look when I watch the raw file on my PC without washed out colours or pixelation. Doesn't PP have something to make these things go away automatically for noobs like me, because the deeper I dig the further I fall into the rabbit hole and the less I understand..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For professionl quality work, GoPro provides GoPro Player | GoPro.

Use that to convert your GoPro clips to Apple ProRes.

Then use Apple ProRes for your Smart rendering in Premiere Pro (adobe.com).

Your edits will be faster and your image quality better maintained through post prodcution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly what he said, everything happens in the working window as in his video, but once I export it, I still get washed out colours. What am I supposed to do? I'm used to Premiere Pro now, it took me ages to learn just the basics, I don't want to switch to another program and start learning for ages again when I need to do videos now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0K5BB58_E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean I did the steps in this video (wrong link above) and it still didn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7UMMNhFWOY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines