• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save Media Cache Files and Media Cache Database on an external SSD? Any consequences?

Explorer ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC has incredibly low storage, it's pre-built and didn't come with the most impressive specs. Meaning, media cache files fill up my computer like nothing else, which I already have very limited room for, which led to frequent crashes while editing in Premiere and AE. Having experience with the programs but never truly understanding how they work under the hood, I was wondering if it would be wise to move the Media Cache Database and Media Cache Files onto an external SSD. I did this for my previous project for both AE and Premiere, which was a video essay for Youtube with motion graphics and live action footage, and it was the first time I've ever encountered errors with .cfa files that creted conform issues and made the video impossible to export. Doing research, I learned the issue was with .cfa files, which are stored with media cache files, and the error could have been due to the changing locations of the media cache files and database. 

All of that being said, I was wondering if it is a good idea to keep Media Cache Files and Database on an external SSD, the possible consequences of doing so, and how I should set it up if it is the right course of action to avoid those conform issues I had in the past. Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , Experiment , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete your current Media Cache files and then change the location of them in the project settings.

As long as it is a fast SSD with a high speed connection, you should be OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any advice on if a conform error appears? I posted previously about how my last project got seriously messed up because of conform errors. Adobe support said it wasn't because I moved media cache locations, but after moving the media cache on my current project and receiving the same exact error, I doubt that it's anything but moving the media cache. Sadly, I moved the cache before you replied, so it seems like my current conform error could have occured due to moving the media cache file mid project. So to reiterate my question with a little more context, do you have any advice on how to solve conform issues based on the changing locations of the media cache folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am admitidly not the best with computers (I have a pre-built PC), but I got these specs from my system settings.

Device name DESKTOP-6UFC06J
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB
Device ID 58E34AC2-E909-42D7-B8F0-3EC25A67630A
Product ID 00325-82075-76784-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I have an internal harddrive with an attached screenshot of its details, as well as an external SSD where I have all of my project files for youtube videos (premiere, AE, and photoshop), any assests for youtube videos (either video specific like video files or resources used across projects like background music), a folder for camera footage, and two folders titled "after effects" and "premiere pro." Those folders both only include one folder, which I've titled "disk cache" and designated as the spot for media cache files for each respective application. It is a sandisk external SSD with 1.68 TB free out of 1.81 TB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru, 

Just wondering if you can provide any insight based on my specs. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is that internal drive an SSD or HDD?

It might be best to replace it with a larger, fast SSD.  It's almost full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines