• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to tell when a clip has a frame hold applied?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for a simple way to tell what clips I have applied a frame hold to. Nothing shows up as being modified with the badge icon and right clicking does not reveal a check mark next to the frame hold. Did a few holds in this video and need to quickly find out which clips have it. Don't want to have to watch the clip.

Using latest version of 2017.

Thanks,

Tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Thanks to everyone for responding.

MtD, your method works if you hit Add Frame Hold first. I use that if I am applying to hold after the action. But sometimes, I just want a freeze frame only so I just hit Frame Hold Options.

That's why I think Warren's method of adding labels and markers every time will help in the end. Or put it on a separate track.

Shooternz, I tried the EDL but was unsuccessful. Same with XML. Too much data generated to sort thru in a timely manner.

Maybe, in the next release, A

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried toggling on Show Through Edits?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I tried it. Also, tried Show Duplicate Frames. Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm . . . on my system a Frame Hold gets a Through Edit indicator.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding MtD. It would be nice if it worked for me. I'm on Mac. Are you PC?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac OS 10.12.3 running PPro 2017.0.2.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...Same Premiere, but I'm on the latest El Capitan. I don't think Mac OS would change anything though.

Are there any options as to what decides a through edit? Do you slice the clip before creating the frame old? Do you start from the first frame? I don't slice and create the frame hold from the first frame.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Show Through Edits" is in the Timeline Display Settings menu.  Look for the wrench icon under the Timecode at the upper left of the Timeline panel (to the right of Add Marker).

Frame Holds can be tricky to find after being placed as the Effects Badge ("fx") doesn't change color.  I find it helpful to set a Label color for my Frame Holds and/or add a marker with an extended duration to make it easier to spot in the Timeline.

Or if you do your Frame Holds by using "Insert Frame Hold Segment", you'll notice that audio is not included.  Since the clip boundary for the held time span in the Timeline only has picture, you just need to scan your Timeline for audio gaps to locate a Frame Hold.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I place the frame hold, with Show Through Edits toggled on, I get the "bow-tie" indicator:

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export an EDL and see if it shows the signs of a "freeze frame" in the source file info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for responding.

MtD, your method works if you hit Add Frame Hold first. I use that if I am applying to hold after the action. But sometimes, I just want a freeze frame only so I just hit Frame Hold Options.

That's why I think Warren's method of adding labels and markers every time will help in the end. Or put it on a separate track.

Shooternz, I tried the EDL but was unsuccessful. Same with XML. Too much data generated to sort thru in a timely manner.

Maybe, in the next release, Adobe will figure out a way to make a more clear way to indicate a clip has a frame hold.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and ideas. Really appreciate it.

-- Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tom: Log a feature request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

The product team is always adding more "editing finesse" features with every release, so this idea might be a good one to propose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines