• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to transition a clip gradually from color to black and white while it's moving and scaling?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm shrinking a full-screen color clip down to a small square in a grid of black-and-white photos, and I'd like to transition the color to B/W as it moves. I know I can duplicate the clip and its scale and movement attributes in B/W, layer it over the color clip and fade it in as it moves. But is there a more elegant way to do this in Premiere? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

You could apply a lumetri color correction to the clip and keyframe the saturation....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could apply a lumetri color correction to the clip and keyframe the saturation....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that makes sense. I haven't done a lot of Lumetri color correction; I was looking everywhere else. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mgrenadier had the best suggestion. Lumetri panel is the heart of the Color workspace in Premiere and the best color/tonal tools in the app. And yes can be keyframed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try something else... make a copy of your color clips with full screen start and paste that into your timeline and make it black and white and save it. So, that's done and won't have to be done again in the background ( rendered etc. as you work ), and the movement is already baked in. Now move the color above the black and white and when you want the thing to begin turning black and white use fade out on the color clip. When it settles into the grid it will be black and white, and I think there will be less demand on your computer resources to make it happen right.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's important sometimes to just admit you're smart and doing something the right way. One shouldn't confuse the word 'elegant' with the word ' simpler' just to be faster. The way the computer works your method is the best already.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rodney, and thanks, all. I guess I'll leave it as it is and play with Lumetri at another time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I think that's the fastest and best way for what you're doing ( the keyframing in Lumetri would be the same time probably). But keep it in mind ( the posts re: going to lumetri) cause there may be times you want to deal with real chroma values ( color ) and use the tools there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines