• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Huge Encoded File Size

New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let me say I am very, very, new to Adobe Primiere. So, please, forgive my ignorance and possible misuse or miscommunication.

I am cutting down interview videos for a clients summit. All that is required is taking the videos she did with her experts (recorded via Zoom and saved as mp4) cutting out mistakes or connection lost or just them chatting before the interview actually takes place. Then exporting it for use on Vimeo.

Example of one video

File size: 139 MB

Length: 36:18

Frame W: 1280

Frame H: 720

Frame rate: 25 f/s

Data rate: 482 kbps

Total bitrate: 536 kbps

Audio

Bitrate: 53kbps

Now, the exported video needs to have a smaller file size. All the preset encode options I am seeing (including the Vimeo option at the bottom, which even at the lowest resolution is 1349MB) are creating HUGE files. The video does not have to have amazing hollywood quality, just decent enough that its not blurry or grainy. I'd like there not to be any black border around the outside, but that isn't a must.

In short, in which format/encoding setting do I use to export this video at a 640x360 resolution at decent video quality, but more importantly, a smaller file size for web viewing?

Thank you for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the preset encode options I am seeing (including the Vimeo option at the bottom, which even at the lowest resolution is 1349MB) are creating HUGE files.

presets are just presets. you can change the bitrate to suit your needs and see an estimation of the file size:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to say it but getting a 36 minute video down to the file size you're apparently trying to aim for is VERY hard (and still have it look ok). What file size are you actually targeting? 1.3GB for a 36 minute file is super small! Yes, you can downsize it to 360 lines of resolution, but this will noticeably impact it's quality. Roei start to give the right idea of how to control the file size a little more manually. If you want, read my article on bit rates, although it mostly focuses on full 1080 video. You'll have to adapt a couple things if you're choosing 360, but it teaches you how the math works!

Bits and Bytes: The Simple Math of Premiere Pro’s Exports — Video Review & Approval

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what I'm mostly not understanding is why I am taking a video with a  1280x720 resolution and 139MB file size, removing portions of it that is actually making the video smaller (not by much, but still smaller), and decreasing the resolution and somehow ending up with a file 10 times as large. I'm not adding any effects or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size = bitrate x duration.

No other factors are relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video compression is a VERY complex topic. Here's a slightly simplified metaphor that isn't perfect, but helps a bit: Picture your video as a glass of water full to the brim. The water represents the quality of your video. Every time you are "exporting" (i.e. re-encoding), you are taking that water and pouring it into a different container. Based upon the settings you choose, you may be pouring it into an equal size glass and therefore hopefully it won't lose too much water/quality aside from a few drops that might splash out. Or you might pour into a teeny tiny paper cup and lose a lot of the water. Or you could pour it into a large bucket. It's a bigger container but you're not getting any water i.e. quality. It sounds like you're dealing with an INCREDIBLY low quality compressed video in the first place. Your bitrate is .5 megabits per second (.5 Mbps). I got this number from your original post where it says the total bitrate is 536 kbps. This is a crazy low bit rate and might work for videos of slide shows but will look pretty rough for anything else. Most of the h.264 presets have bitrates that are 5-20 times that bitrate. But as Roei mentioned and my article mentions, you have control over this in the Export Settings window. Its all about the bitrate slider.

Be warned though, when you take a video that's already that low-quality and recompress it to an equally low quality, the results sometimes are noticeably worse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perturbedpeep  wrote

... a smaller file size for web viewing?

If I'm understanding correctly, by "web viewing" it sounds like you want to publish it on Vimeo. If that's correct, you don't need to worry about making the video as small as possible. Your job is to encode the video to Vimeo's specifications (you can use the Vimeo export preset), and if that results in a large file for upload, that's OK...because that's not how viewers will receive the video. Like YouTube, Vimeo will adapt the outgoing bitrate it sends based on the connection it detects. Viewers on less capable Internet connections will receive a lower bitrate stream. So you don't have to worry about crunching down the video yourself except to the specs Vimeo requires for upload.

In short, when publishing on a site like Vimeo or YouTube, you should upload a good quality file that meets their requirements and let the site adapt the video quality as needed for each individual viewer. You don't need to agonize over creating the smallest possible file, because they've automated all that for you on their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad makes a good point. I think I was getting too lost in the weeds trying to answer the question but the MORE important question is... do you NEED the file to be small? Probably not if you're just uploading to video sharing sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

similar question here -

upgraded to most recent premiere and since then many things have changed for the not better

render times are insane

export times also insane And the exported files while once closer to 1.5 gig for a 19 minute HD Vimeo formatted export (1920x1080) is now coming in about double that size. What the hay happened??

I know they added a ton of amazing items and I am very happy about these perks - but its almost as if those add ons broke something in the streamline efficiency world.

2.5 gigs to vimeo is insane. I wait for over 3 hours for an export that i already rendered (that also took about 1.5 hours) and select for the export to use the preview files (doesn't seem to be doing that??). i walk away from the computer to go do stuff (didn't use the media encoder because my machine while somewhat hefty - needs a break now and then after spending all that time cooking) AND then i get to wait for it to upload to Vimeo (or youtube). Something is weird. and it makes me sad.

H.264 used to mean you could get high quality at low prices (aka smaller file sizes)

help please somebody. gimmie a tip or something to maybe do a workaround?
I have 2 documentary projects in the wings awaiting.

Enero

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines