• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I accidentally created a timeline using duplicate source clips. How can I delete the dupes?

Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally imported clips into my project, that, it turns out, already existed in another bin. The issue is I built an edit in a  sequence based off of these duplicate source clips before I realized my error.

So I now want to delete that new bin that hase those 2nd accidental imports, and instead have my sequence point to the 1st bin of those clips. Is this possible?

When I goto delete the duplicate bin of source clips, I get the "The selection you are deleting contains clip references in one or more sequences. If you continue these clip references will also be deleted. Do you want to continue?" message. And off course, clicking yes, as promised, deletes all the edits of those clips on the timeline. I was actually surprised that Premiere didn't automatically realize that these same source clips exist in another bin, and give me some kind of additional to point to those as the new source instead.

But I digress, is there any way for me to do this?

Thank you

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have clarified...I have discovered that I can open the source clip (the old, original instance of it in the project) that I want to use as the sequences clip reference, then right click on the clip in the sequence >Replace With Clip>From Source Monitor. I am now just wondering if there is a way to do this as a batch, rather than having to do this for every single edit in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save and backup the project.

Delete the unwanted source clip in the bin.

Save under a new name (or version) and backup.

Close the project.

Open the latest version and relink when prompted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but due to the prompt about removing all clip references from the timeline that i must accept before going forward...there will be nothing in the timeline once i reopen that will be offline in the first place....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but due to the prompt about removing all clip references from the timeline that i must accept before going forward...there will be nothing in the timeline once i reopen that will be offline in the first place....

By @Jeena22389650a1ho

Ah, yes.

Try this:

Save and backup the project.

Rename the unwanted source clip in the bin.

Save under a new name (or version) and backup.

Close the project.

Open the latest version and relink when prompted.

Delete the renamed clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried that. when i reopened premiere, it simply used the newly renamed instance as the source reference. the program is too smart. anyone else got any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...

You could right click each instance of clip in the sequences and choose replace with clip from bin (after selecting the correct clip in the correct bin), but that would have to be done one at a time. 

Then you could delete the extra bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jeena22389650a1ho,

Thanks for the question. I was in a similar situation yesterday with a Production. I have a project with only sequences in it, but I do have associated clips that exist in another project because I imported the sequence from another project. What I did was select the sequence I wanted to fix, then chose, Edit > Reassociate Source Clips, then navigate to the project where the original clips are. Once you do that, you can delete these extra clips without the warning. A technique along these lines may help you get this task done quickly and as a batch process. Does that work for you? Let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin thanks so much for your response. For some reason, the Edit > Reassociate Source Clip menu option appears greyed out. I tried with the sequence selected with the project panel active, and then again with that sequence open and the timeline selected. Please let me know you thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what's going on there @Jeena22389650a1ho.

I tried some experiments with my own Production and found the feature to work most of the time, but sometimes it fails. Very frustrating. My problem is not that it's showing that it's disabled, my problem is that it is enabled but nothing happens. I'll keep investigating the issue but sorry I do not have an immediate solution for your case. Feel free to work with support by going here, then ask for the "video queue." I hope we can help solve the problem for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

I'm running into the same issue. I realized I edited brightness contrast into each part of ONE clip(mov) in my timeline, and want to be able to globally adjust, so I created a sequence from that clip. Basically trying to get it to perform like comps in After Effects.

I've tried changing the name within finder in hopes of relinking to different media. I also tried replace with clip from bin, which doesn't remember where my edit was. Timecodes match and they're the same clip.

Trying to use the feature similarly to dragging and dropping a comp in After Effects onto an existing edit in the timeline. I'm working within one pproj file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @wckdtall,

Check out source clip effects. That should do what you want: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/master-clip-effects.html.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link is giving me a 404 error. I guess what I'm asking, is how do I batch replace footage in one timeline with another sequence or format and retain the edits? The methods I tried reset the time codes to zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @wckdtall,

I fixed the link. It sounds like you are experiencing a bug from a few versions back and footage which has been moved from one HD to another. Could this be the case with you?

Let me know.

Take Care,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines