• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am not upgrading from CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been testing for a few weeks 2021 v15.4.5 and 2022 v22.4 in an environment with a high media file turnover. We receive lots of media, check through it and conform it to our chosen standard, and export for transmission. Most videos need captions, but not all.

I cannot upgrade our teams computers beyond CC2020 because Premiere does not do the job we require of it. Captions controls are garbage. 2021 literally undoes changes you make to captions with no warning. 2021 also is crazy laggy with playback and has lots of audio drops and screen freezes during playback, which is the biggest issue with it.

2022 Media Encoder won't recognise MXFs with captions. It says media offline. So if someone is exporting from an MXF filetype they have to do so from Premiere and just sit watching their screen while it happens. Playback is also not as solid as 2020 but it does a better job of keeping up. The 2022 export screen, as many people have said, is just dumb. I basically want to use the same export option every single time, but it defaults me to h264. And the correct timecode selection is "source in/out" which is NAMED WRONG. Source media is not the same thing as timeline program media. Source in out would be the in and out of the... source.

I've been finding workarounds for a lot of the changes between versions, but there are some issues that make the software counterintuitive when our company could just buy a different NLE program and those problems will go away. Thankfully I haven't been experiencing random crashes, which does happen in 2020. So thanks for the stability improvements.

I believe 2022 could be fixed to solve the issues in it, but I don't want to keep checking every few months if Adobe have created a usable product yet. I was in post facilities when everyone was shifting away from the FCPX update. This is starting to feel like deja vu.

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain, I really do.

I tried to keep a system on W7 but now I find I cannot launch anything, I get a screen telling me I cannot connect to the activation servers & if I hit any of the options in said screen I get a VERY odd web page indeed, not in English at all.

My account is not hacked, and there is no stolen software on my setup - I simply cannot now even launch PPro on W7 as I cannot activate it, despite having an activation available, because I cannot connect to the damned servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot connect to the damned servers.

By @neil wilkes

Have you tried this?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/tls-1-0-and-1-1-support/td-p/12237746

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't work in XP either, which was my fav Windows version, really. As with all computer software, "dino-stage" comes seemingly too fast.

Win10 has worked fine on all our computers, we simply set it to closely work like Win7 did. And Pr2022 is absolutely screaming on my Ryzen desktop and this three-year-old Acer laptop ... best performance I've had yet.

You can't stay with ancient EOL'd software forever. I've been working in computers in our shop since what, 1986? I've got a big drawer of all the discs of the software we used to rely on ... spendy stuff most of it, like the full dBase app, Word, geez ... a bunch of others.

All long dead.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the comments, Neil - I really do.

But here's my reasoning for not going to W10 on my main workstation - not only will I lose an awful lot of very expensive software (again - this also happened when my DAW stopped handling 32-bit), but that was then & it cost me in excess of £20,000 by the time I had set up a new DAW and totted up the cost of the tools that were unavailable in 64-bit because of thieves (they call themselves 'hackers', but they are thieves pure and simple) uploading cracked versions of their tools and literally forcing them into bankruptcy. The list is quite staggering.

I also found that a lot of things would not install to W7.

Add to this my DAW (the CPU alone cost me £1500) cannot be configured for W10 at all according to the system builders. 

Moving right along, I have an NLE setup running W10 and I loathe this OS so much it is simply not funny. £4,000 purchase price with W10 Professional, and after less than a week there was a forced update to the OS that I literally could not put off - for some reason this is all no longer allowed, and indeed accorduing to Microsoft the versions of W10 that do allow updates to be refused is also 'EOL' - and when the PC restarted it had been turned into an expensive Boat Anchor. One lengthy call to the builders got me a support tech who literally told me this is far from being uncommon and I had to re-install the whole OS from scratch, mobo drivers, applications - the whole 9 yards. I seriously object to being forced into updates I do not want to install.

As for W7 being EOL, again this is not strictly true - I have bought 'extended EOL system support' from Microsoft, who have made this available because of the large number of corporate setups still running W7 (my local Hospital is still running on Windows 2000!!!) and with no intention of 'upgrading' when the 64-bit OS they are running is already perfectly good enough - when we went from XP to W7 (I avoided both Windows Yuppie Flu and the dreadful Vista altogether) I understood because of the whole 64-bit thing (I still run an old XP system for DVD-Audio authoring, as the Sonic/MEI software was designed to run on W2000 and it was pure luck it also ran on XP - but post XP because MS changed the way XML files are handled an awful lot of authoring companies who went to Windows ME and Vista literally upgraded themselves out of the game completely.

As for the way W10 works, I find it cumbersome and irritating - it's like living with your parents with the constant nagging, forced updates 'for my safety' and the MS App adverts I cannot as yet find a way to disable.

Anyway - in closing for now, I can again connect to the servers so all is again well for me - it turned out I needed to run an MS utility called 'Easy Fix' because Adobe changed the TLS requirements and I was unaware of this.

But I am not going to put my DAW/Blu-ray authoring system to W10 - this will cause me to lose far, far too much very expensive software I use on a daily basis that has no W10 equivalent for the same reason posted earlier - out of business companies because of hackers & thieves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow ... I've not had any of the W10 issues you've had. And no adverts ever, not even sure what that would be.

It's just the thing that my software I use is running on. I never pay it any attention whatever.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines