• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can no longer drag & drop files into Premiere, I can only 'File>Import' them which is annoying

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, for whatever reason in the last week I am no longer able to simply drag and drop a file off my desktop into the Timeline or Project windows of Premiere. I must go thru the File menu to import it which takes too long. This ONLY happens in Premiere Pro 2021, and no on my 2020 version. My software is all up to date though, and I have restarted my computer several times. It seems like I am missing something. Please reply here if you know a solution. Thank you!

TOPICS
Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I forgot one detail. I do have video tracks clicked & enabled on my timeline, so that is not the solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply but unfortunately this did not work. 
It still will not let me import.
I get this symbol when I try and drop the files into the project window (see attatched pic)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue RHailey... Was fine yesterday with drag/drop import but now I can't do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R,
Saw your screenshot. You don't have V1 or A1 selected for Source Patching.

You need to select a clip in the Timeline, or load a clip in the Source Monitor to get Source Patching to work in your project. After that, you should be able to drag directly from the Finder/Explorer.

I've found that Source Patching fails most often because of the actual media type: screen captures, streaming video, or another unconventional source containing variable frame rates.

Read this post for more info and how to get back on track: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/can-t-drag-video-into-timeline-premiere-cc/m-p/6000580#M...

Dragging items directly into the Timeline can get you into trouble unless you really pay attention to source patching. I was trained by pros back in the 90s to always look down at source patching before attempting any editing - including merely dragging clips to the Timeline (as that is an Overwrite edit). All NLES have some kind of source patching so that you can actually insert or overwrite clips to V2, say, purely with a keyboard shortcut (dragging is slower, IMO).

TBH, the standard method of importing clips into the Project panel, organizing them, and then edit them into the Timeline is the standard way of editing is how Premiere Pro functions best (auto source patching sets it up, etc.). Otherwise, you really need to focus on the UI. Not telling you how to edit, it's only my advice, anyway.

BTW, when you said your tracks were "clicked" - they were only Selected. These only come into play after the clip is edited into the Timeline, like, for copy/pasting to other tracks and such. So, there are two sets of blue boxes to be aware of. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 7.32.52 PM.png

Going to get to it first in hopes that we solve both RHailey's problem and mine. Yesterday in the bottom left box, it had an overlay that say "import media to start." I've clicked around and looked it up, can't figure out how to make that available again. Drag and drop doesn't work except directly to the Source box and then to the Timeline, but I want all of my clips imported, don't want to have to do it all individually. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a new thread, issue is not the same as OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the detailed reply! When I am back at that computer I will try this and let you know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unfortunately still having the same problem even after clicking the tracks blue as seen in this screenshot.
You did say this though Kevin which I was confused by:
"BTW, when you said your tracks were "clicked" - they were only Selected. These only come into play after the clip is edited into the Timeline, like, for copy/pasting to other tracks and such. So, there are two sets of blue boxes to be aware of. Sorry for the confusion."
Could you elaborate on this and maybe do the 'explain it like I'm 5 years old' method haha (this is not my strong suit)?

source patching screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, not sure ift his changes anything, but I can't even drag and drop into my Project Window, not just my Timeline, in Adobe Premiere 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird R,

You seem to be set up perfectly for your Source Patching. However, you can't even import footage? That is not right at all! What kind of footage are you using? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate:

1. Source Patching - the blue boxes on the far left are only for editing clips into the Timeline to a specific video or audio track (usually V1 and A1). After you're done editing the clips into the Timeline, and you start trimming, etc. you can disregard these boxes. That is, unless you need to add additional clips to the assembly of the sequence.

2. Track Selection - the other set of blue boxes on the right are for all other Timeline operations. Copy and pasting to another track, for example. Deleting multiple clips on multiple tracks for another. 

Come back with Q's.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I believe I have made some developments in my problem but still need help.
I have another Windows Explorer type program called Everything and when I drag and drop from there into Premiere it works.
So it appears that this something to do with Windows Explorer, or a setting therein, specifically.
Do you know if there is either a setting within Premiere or Windows Explorer that would trigger such a thing?
Thanks for continuing to reply and help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same problem here...

Nothing helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most common user error is not source patching the track.
Solved by first opening clip in Source Monitor. Then drag/insert into timeline.

source patching.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was really a big help to a newbe like me.  Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with the same issue, i need help too 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, i just found how to solve this, You just need to execute Adobe Premiere Pro as NOT administrator

i just unchecked execute this program as administrator box and boom, solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, where can I find that option to uncheck? Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! You need to right click on the icon of your Adobe Premiere Pro then go to Properties, Compatibility tab and then you will see that box to uncheck it

Your Welcome 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working for me 🙂
Thank you! It was really annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines