• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import transcript to sync within Premiere Pro?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a transcript of a video but not a .srt. So I don't have any timings with the text. Is there a way to import the document or just copy and paste the text and have Adobe Premiere sync it to the video? It seems like all of the necessary tools are in place to do this. It would be an awesome feature. Without it, I'll use YouTube to sync, download the .srt, and then import that into Premiere.

TOPICS
How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be easier just to have Premiere write the captions and export the SRT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be, but I was given a transcript for an existing video. Someone else has done the work of transcribing the video for another purpose. And because I can be confident in the accuracy of the transcription, it would save time to not have to proof and correct the autotranscription from Premiere.

In addition, anyone recording talent using prompter will have the text even before recording. Again, it would time and effort in proof reading and correcting text if I can sync accurate text that already exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Youtube is the way to go. It will accept untimed text and give the ability to download a timed srt. I forget about that option.

For what its worth, the alternative in PR would be to transcribe the video to get timings on the timeline. Then create a srt with abritrary timings from your transcript using something like Subtitle Edit. Then add it as a second caption track and modify the timings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any update to importing finished transcripts and having them timed by Premiere? I've searched and can't find anything. This is basically my workflow and would love to have something built into Premiere rather than relying on YouTube to do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great workaround Stan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my MP4 documentary / film already up on Prime Video Direct. The only problem is the accepted subtitles timed text.

I exported the text as a synched text .srt. I can’t find a way on Adobe Premier Pro to give Prime Video Direct what they want. Which is DFXP, iTT or SubRip. Any help is welcomed. I looked at converters, but it is just weird.

I don’t know what to do?

Video assets / _synced_1.srt - Video assets: An error occurred while processing the captions file. This file can't successfully complete the encoding process. Please submit a new file.

Video assets / Timed Text / Caption / Video assets:

It always says "An error occurred while processing the captions file. This file can't successfully complete the encoding process. Please submit a new file." ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on windows you can use subtitle edit

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit

which is the swiss army knife of subtitle convesion programs.

If you're on the mac you can use the online version

https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/online

Don't know about the specific formats you're asking about but this is the place to start.  I know I've delivered subtitles for features on amazon prime...  but been a few years...

If you can't get the proper conversion, post back...  There's someone in Europe who has a bunch of plugins that might be useful..  I can dig out his contact info...

And Stan Jones who is a frequent contributor here is the subtitle/caption guru.  He's been a great help to me and many others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Hudley Flipside,

Can you provide a link to the Prime Video Direct help page that talks about subtitle formats? I thought I had it but I do not see it now.

> I exported the text as a synched text .srt

You created the subtitles in PR: What subtitle format did you use? And exported as SRT? I'm not sure what the "synched text" means here.

For example, if you need a "timed text" format and  you use PR Subtitle format for the subtitles, the only sidecar export is SRT - and it is not a "timed text" file.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines