• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .mts AVCHD files into Premiere Pro CS5.5: can it be done?

Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to import .mts files from a memory card into Premiere Pro? Whenever I try to, I get a message that reads "Codec not supported".
My camera is a Sony Alpha A55, and this worked perfectly well in Final Cut Pro X.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2012 Jan 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is probably a silly idea, DWGuy, but are you running the trial version of PPro CS5? If so, try activating?

I put Sony NEX VG-20 AVCHD .mts files through PPro all the time, and they are gobbled up happily. However, I once tried to do it before activating my copy of PPro, and got the same error as you are describing right now.

Apparently, PPro doesn't install all its codecs until you activate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copy the AVCHD file structures from my Canon X10 to my video drive and then just copy the .MTS files in the Streams directory to another drive for use by PPro.  Then I go into PPro and select "File", "Import" and select all the .MTS you want to bring into PPro and then whaaala they are imported into my project.

Another way

-----------------

Sometimes I need .MTS files converted quickly without ediiting so I use Adobe Media Encoder 5.5 and select all the .MTS files and specify my path and put the conversion in the quene and whaaalaa converted into any format that PPro supports.

Hope that helps.

-Sandrino

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2012 Feb 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With any digital media files that are stored on a chip or card, you absolutley need to copy the files from the card to your HDD on your computer, preferably not your C: Drive... Get an external 7,200rpm drive that supports at least Firewire 400 or firewire 800, if not E-SATA like the G-Technology drives do, and RAID 0, better to have a 4 drive tower striped as RAID 5.

Be sure to copy the ENTIRE FOLDER from your chip or card into a new folder on your hard drive. Name the folder by Chip Number and Date, (i.e. MTS Card 1 020412

If you don't copy the entire folder contents then the computer won't recognize the file structure and you will most likely get an error message.

This applies to panasonic P2, Sony MTS, etc.

You can edit natively with MTS files in PPro 5.5.

Happy Editing,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using the Sony Alpha A55 which might use a different codec than my other Sony's (CX-550V and HX5V) BUT I am using PP on an iMac. For different reasons (one of which being that I already used this approach with FCE), I am converting my raw mts files into mov files using ClipWrap ($50, very fast, they have a trial version for download). This has many advantages:

- the footage is UNTOUCHED. It is just put into a different container.

- the mov files are WATCHABLE in the Finder (and everywhere else, including PP).

- the mts files can be dragged and dropped (without bothering about the folder structure) directly into ClipWrap (or first on your HD if you want).

This being said, my experience is that even those files are too much for my (I thought) powerful iMac to scrub through once basic editing has started. So I resorted to transcoding to proxy mpeg2 intermediate files (so that I don't fill up my HD too quickly) and only before exporting my sequence, replace the proxy footage by the original (well converted) mov files. I am still working out the ideal workflow...

Try the ClipWrap demo to see if the codec is supported. If not, they are a very responsive company and will most likely update their software rapidly (for free).

HTH.

PS: I paid for my software, so I am just a satisfied customer reporting on the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me it works but i need to render the file?

can i avoid this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings;

I presently work with Windows 7 / CS5.5, Mac shouldn't be that much different.

1) The "codec not supported" should be a clue.

You may be missing the proper codec for Sony Mts format.

I'm using panasonic AVCHD and cameras came with software to import File structure onto HD and edit.

That Panasonic software also included a codec to play AVCHD. Cineform is another example of software with codec included.

Premiere uses those codec to read files and if they're not installed doesn't recognize file.

Perhaps Sony has some codec needing installing before you can read the files.

2) Process I use to transfer files is to use (AVCCAM Viewer) Panasonic Software to bring files from SD card to a HD.

Then copy MTS files only to Project HD drive & folder.

Premiere doesn't seem to mind if files are with or without folder structure.

Hope this helps

Regards

JD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out these Adobe workflow papers:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/06/workflow_guides_for_several_hi.html

We have a MacPro, 10.6.8 and PP5.5 with no issues after copying the PRIVATE folder off the cards as directed in the workflow papers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me once with CS4. AVCHD .MTS Working fine one day then got that error. Used time machine to restore the OS and Production Premium. It seemed like CS4 went from an activated copy to a trial version - I had not added any software or done anything I could think of. Is your version activated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got even worth. My Windows premiere 5.5 worked very fine with MTS files, so I build a project, put them to a timeline and exported them together to an AVI file. And so i continued in the same project my complete Film.

Since a automatic update of premiere, MTS are not anymore recognized. And if I open the project it crushes. So I lost my complete work.

I uninstalled and re installed several times even with the cleaner

So I think even if official adobe announce to support MTS Files, help us with a plug-in or else. I have seen so many reports about that and Adobe would not believe us.

Please Adobe Help instead of defending your politic

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a user support forum.  If you want direct Adobe help, you'll need to call them (and probably pay for it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines