• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Internal Software error PGC for encore CS3 !!! solved !!!

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2008 Sep 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost everybody here knows the next error:

PGC "timeline name" has an error at xx:xx:xx:xy internal software error : %0, line timeline name - PGCINFO: name= timeline name, ref=BPGC, time=xx:xx:xx:xy

Where the y in time stands for the length of the timeline minus 2 frames. The BPGC error can also be FPGC or DPGC dependant on how many menu's there are in the project.

It kept me awake for weeks and after reading this forum several times and comparing encore CS3 with encore 2.0 filenames I found the solution.

This Error is a bug in encore witch has nothing to do with blank filename spots and sonic coding or codecs or planning your workflow with a pencil but pure with the combination Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore CS3.

This is what generates the problem:

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 you build project with video, sound and chapters. Then you export the project via the Media Encoder not Multplexed.

Premiere CS3 then creates the following files:
filename.M2V (video file mpg)
filename.AC3 (audio file ac3)
filename.M2V.XMPSES (an adobe file with preview info and chapter pointers)
filname.XMP (??)

It is the .M2V.XMPSES file witch creates the PGC error. If you use the MULTIPLEX DVD option then ADOBE will not create the .M2V.XMPSES file so there will not be an error. This trick mentioned by ADOBE and many others is just to go around the bug instead of solving it. Also with multiplex you have just one sound track. I use two sound tracks like 5.1 and a 2.0 track witch you can choose in a menu.

Some people say it is the blank spots. Also not true. They have probably just erased the blank spots of the M2V file and forgot the .M2V.XMPSES file.

When you just delete the .M2V.XMPSES file and then open the M2V and AC3 file in Encore as a new asset, make a timeline and menu's and the project will built and burn. Only if you delete this .M2V.XMPSES file Encore takes a longer time to import the M2V file and will be without the chapter points.

Almost everything else will work like menu with sound and even a movie background (use M2V files). Only the motion buttons in a menu still wont work unless you use a black background !?!. Haven't figured this out yet. Only solution for this is use Encore 2.0. In this older version also the motion buttons will work without error's (everything else also so why buy CS3??)

Here is what you must do create a DVD without errors:

-Create a project in Premiere Pro, even with chapters.
-Write down all chapter points (minutes:seconds:frames)
-Create two new unique maps in explorer for example D:DVD1 and D:DVD2
-Export in Premiere with Media Encoder without the Multiplex:DVD but with NON to the D:DVD1 map
-Copy from D:DVD1 only the M2V and AC3 files to D:DVD2

-Start up Encore DVD CS3 or 2.0
-Create a new unique project in Encore for example "DVD" and save this in the map D:DVD2\
-Then use Save-as (under file) and pinpoint to D:DVD2\dvd to be sure that all Encore's files are placed in this folder.

-Select M2V file and make new timeline.
-Make chapter points (you wrote down the points, did you?)
-Create menu's, even with sound (AC3) and movie background (M2V)
-Then render project if you have used a video for menu background
-Finally Built and burnnnnnn!!
-If you like to use motion buttons in a menu then use Encore 2.0

I have double checked my work flow and it really works. I have built a project and burned with success Then I deleted the timeline and the M2V file. Copied the .M2V.XMPSES file in the used folder. Re loaded the M2V file in encore (this time much faster! and with chapter points). Tried to built and burn and back was the error. Also this happened in in Encore 2.0!!

Hope that this will solve the PGC error once and for all !!!

Marcel W

system:
acer aspire AMD 64 3800+
2 GB
250 GB hard drive for system
750 GB hard drive for movie

software Adobe Encore 3.0.1.008, Premiere PRO 3.2.0, Photoshop CS3 10.0, All upgraded
NERO 7

No Internet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I got off my lazy ___ and did some reading.

The majority of those with this/similar problem(s) are on CS3. Some reported that a roll-back to CS2 solved their issue.

One person had the error with CS2 and one with Encore 1.5 (if I read that reply correctly).

Seems that CS3 is the most common thread, though CS2 is not 100% immune. Nor is 1.5 (?), based on one reply.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

I put your .avi clip into a timeline in an empty Encore project on my machine. I added the Gears Submenu motion menu from the Library. I deleted 2 of the video thumbnail buttons and linked the third to the clip's timeline. I selected Animate Buttons. I set the menu as First Play and I set the End Action of the timeline to link back to the menu button.

I rendered the motion menu and previewed the project.

No errors on check project. I built a DVD image. The project transcoded and built without error.

Same result as for Rodger's project.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2008 Sep 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on Jeff's post above, I just did a set of 5 discs where every single menu was a library one with buttons that I deleted as they were un-necessary. Every button was an animated Video button.
Not a single problem anywhere.

This PGC error is related to either
A - Assets being repeatedly exchanged/edited/moved/swapped etc or
B - System.
The easiest way to avoid these type of errors is to plan your project first. Do not import a single asset into Encore until you know what you are importing is the final version. Sure - there are tools there to do basic editing, but if you planned this properly in the first place it should never arise. It all brings it back to the age-old point that just because you
i can
do something does not necessarily mean that you
i should
do it, or that it is in any way a good or desirable thing to do.

Plan your project.
To avoid Feature Creep, get your client to sign off on the final flowchart as well. Tell him/her that any changes they propose will add to the bill - believe me, they will then suddenly lose interest in adding ever more content. It protects you, and it protects your client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

I still do not agree with you. If you can't create an error yourself then you don't know what the error is related to.

You can read that tests are done by Bill who never gets an error (he uses CS2) and even after swapping around files still not got an error.

In CS3 I almost always get an error but after erasing the xmpses file it's gone but still I can't create animate buttons. Copying the files to CS2 with the xmpses file I also get the error. Without the xmpses file I won't get an error and I can even use animate buttons.

If you were right then swapping assets was allowed with CS2 but is not any more with CS3 ??

So please to confirm your statements by doing the following:
-make a project in Premiere CS3
-use media encoder to create a single M2V file and a single AC3 file
-swap those files around a few times, use blank spots in file names, save your project on a few different locations.
-Then create a project in Encore CS3 import the M2V file as a timeline. At the file location the xmpses file must be present.
-hopefully you then can create this error yourself.

If you can't get an error then I believe it is system related and not your work flow or planning. I'm almost sure about this while CS2 uses the same Sonic coding as CS3.

After multiple test for about a month now I am at the point to loose my interest in Encore CS3 and will switch back to CS2 forever without errors with animate buttons almost same layout and options as CS3 but now I ......can swap around as much as I like and use filenames as strange as I want.....My statements are: "never change a winning team" and "if it ain't broken don't try to fix it". So if CS2 works why change?

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill and Jeff - and Neil! What is different about my test is that this specific avi clip, in a brand new encore project, creates a pgc error on my system. I am completely open to discovering I have done something wrong, but what can be wrong? System issues are likely, but how would they interact with a particular avi file. Note again that I completed a project last week (not with this avi file) that contained animated buttons, multiple timelines, correctly replaced assets, etc., burned without a hitch.

If someone who does get the pgc error would be willing to do my Test 1 in post 10, I would be interested in your results.

Jeff, just for the record, you added a couple extras to the type project I set up, by using a motion menu and animated button - both factors that result in the pgc error for some users. I used the same options as you did, and still got the pgc error.

But it got me thinking. You did not mention whether you set this up for an auto transcode with max rate 8, as I had. I changed my transcode setting for this avi (ie. my test 1) to cbr 4.5, and ... built with no problem. I do not have time to track this down just yet, but makes me wonder. A quick look at the transcoded file with mpeg bitrate parser shows a rate spike at the very end -max rate 27,000. I seem to remember discussion that this tool was showing an error. The 4.5cbr file has the same type of pattern, but peaks at 16,000. I don't see where to examine this down to the frame level (only seconds), but I wonder if the point at which this spike occurs is the same as the time of the pgc error. One of my files from the project finished last week (longer - 3 minutes) had a peak of 8,058 using this tool - i.e. correct.

Is there a better tool to examine this? Is there a comparable tool for avis?

Neil, I am able to demonstrate the pgc error/no pgc error by deleting the xmpses file before importing the same m2v a3c files into a new project. Any idea what may be at work?

I believe my tests eliminate the asset swapping issues, and I don't know what could cause these problems in terms of system issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

What kind of processor have you got?

Bill, Neil and Jeff all have Pentium and no errors. I have an AMD and have an error. The computer I use with Encore 2.0, without errors, is also a Pentium.

Just a guess. I still believe it is more system related.

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel makes a good point. How about video cards? I have an ATI Radeon X1600 upgraded from an ATI Radeon 9800.

Any chance you guys with the PGC errors have nVIDIA cards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an nVidia FX4500-512 MB Quadro, latest drivers (as of late August) and no errors, but with EncoreDVD 2, not CS3.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the PC: Intel P4 2.8, Nvidia GEforce4 MX440. I just checked the other day, and I am still using the latest drivers, but they are not "new."

On the laptop, a Pentium M 2.0, Nvidia GeForce Go 6600. I can't tell if the drivers are current; they only show the 8800 series as option under the Geforce Go type.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvida Gforce 6100 nForce 405
driver version 9.1.3.6 date: 12-07-2006

I am downloading the newest driver now version 15.24 date 12-09-2008

Will check result

marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re Stanley Jones posts #10 & 29

Downloaded the pgcbad_clip1.avi from the link in post #10.

Imported clip as timeline in Encore CS3 (bundled free with PPro CS3) and linked to "element" menu "volume 1" button after deleting the redundant buttons. Built the project to both ISO image and DVD folder without the pgc error appearing. Both play ok.

I have previously had the pgc errors when trying to burn a project consisting of video and slideshows. The "cure" was deleting the offending slideshow folder from Encore project, moving the contents of the folder into a new folder named with alphanumeric name limited to eight characters max, folder name started with alpha character with no blanks in the name(a la old DOS convention) and re-importing into the Encore project. The project then burned to DVD without error.

My system is Intel 915GEV m/b and Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 1 Gb RAM running Windows XP Pro SP 3, with 2xWD HDD. I have Nero 7, Pinnacle 9, Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 6 all installed as well as MainConcept MPEG encoder and Windows Media Encoder 9, Visual C++ IDE and .NET 3.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for testing.

What video card? Jeff did not comment again, but I think I saw a post from here indicating that the nvidias may be suspect. Mine is an older version with the "latest" drivers (but 2 years old). Have not pursued this.

What transcode setting did you use in your test project? As noted in #29, I discovered I can avoid the pgc error with this "known bad" avi file by reducing the auto transcode max rate from 8 - where I get the error.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, see this post from Neil:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6aab6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2008 Oct 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stanley

The 915GEV m/b has onboard video and sound, my set up uses both these onboard facilities.

The transcode setting was "Automatic" with the max bitrate set to 8Mbps. Have just set up a new project with the "bad" avi file again. Same menu ie "elements" etc, built it again to DVD folder without any errors, again using auto transcode with max bitrate at 8Mbps.

What m/b and chipset are you using?

Will now follow the link in your post #36.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2008 Oct 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry; still no time to process this. Shuttle mainboard (not current) and P4; not sure what the chipset is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Shuttle m/b seems to use Intel chipsets, or at least the current boards do, so unlikely to be that.
Having read this thread and a similar one http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc48a91 there seems to be a problem mainly with Encore CS3 and not usually with CS2. My problem, and many other users, centres around slide shows, avoided by using the file/asset naming convention previously described. The other PGC error producer seems to be associated with avi files/animated buttons etc etc etc....
The fact that you can get the "bad" avi file to burn to DVD by reducing the bitrate at transcoding in Encore CS3 suggests to me that there is a bottleneck in the hardware at the 8Mbps rate. I'm sure you have tried this but if you get time, try a clean boot then open Encore immediately and retry burning the "bad" avi at 8Mbps bitrate. This will reduce the strain on the hardware to a minimum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get the PCG error the main solution is:

Throw away Encore CS3

Use Encore 2.0. Only use the AC3 and M2V file. Throw away the rest of the junk.

Make chapters in Encore 2.0 ad burn you disk.

This is what I did after spending weeks of debuging and ending up fully frustrated.

I use a bitrate of 9.4, use motion menus and even animate buttuns on single and DL layer disks. Burned 8 DVD's with no error at all

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2008 Dec 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PGC error in Encore - forever gone!

Hello everyone! My name is Slobodan.

Sorry for coming so late. You did all great job but in order to thank you (somehow) I have decided to write you about my experience with stupid PGC error. I have been trying to solve this problem for over a three months. Without your help, especially help of Marcel I wouldn't be successful.

After all that time I become so desperate and curious about this problem so I had to leave my office, in the middle of working hours, to visit FOX TV studio near my company just to find a proffesional and to talk with him about this matter. Unfortunately, they are using MAC's not PC's but man told me that problem (almost 100%) occur because of slide shows. That was a Marcels point too. Here are my observations:

- Do what Marcel recommend (but don't if you on-line or i LAN because Marcels advices are not good if you are working in LAN - I do not know why - !?)
- Create slideshows in Premiere not in Encore. It is easier to do it in Encore but you increase the chance for PGC error that way (that is my experience). Besides my Encore collapsed several time during import of jpg's (eventhough I have imported only 70 photos - maximum is 99 in one pass).

Thank you all once more for all efforts you made that helped me a lot (my young son, born five months ago, will be very happy to find out how good movies about him I made and that is all thanks to you people).

Best regards to you all
Slobodan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slobodan,

Thanks for reporting your findings.

Since I do all of my slideshows in PP, that might explain why I have not seen this error.

It does seem that there can be other causes, or instances of this error. Stanley Jones had it, without any slide shows, though that does seem to be a common aspect for many people's problems.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slobodan,

Thank you for posting your results.

Slideshows are only involved in a percentage of the odd pgc errors in cs3. (I have posted elsewhere asking if anyone is seeing this error in cs4. I do not believe it has been reported in cs2.)

Some users resolved pgc errors in slideshows by fixing or deleting specific slides. Perhaps those are examples of "regular" pgc errors. Also, there appear to be many users who use encore slideshows successfully.

Based on the posts, I have assumed that the most frequent pgc problems were with motion menus, with slideshows a close second. I do not do slideshows in encore, have experienced the pgc error in motion menus, but have seen it in projects with plain menus and simple assets.

Marcel's fix (deleting the xmpses file) has worked for me, but remember that users have experienced the pgc error even when bringing in assets without xmpses files.

My points are that a) there is not a single cause for the problematic pgc error, b) I do not believe that there will be a single solution, and c) the theory that makes the most sense is that this is an interaction between particular user hardware/driver/software combinations. I wonder if the situation has changed in cs4, and do not believe that these errors have been reported for encore cs4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2008 Dec 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stanley,

I lean towards your C theory. Only time will tell if CS4 experiences the same. It is also possible that new code in CS4 might have erased the conflict - not as a direct result of Adobe programming it out, but while adding/fixing other things. If C is correct, it will only surface, when those users, with the same config, migrate to CS4. As many will be going to new boxes and Vista-64, that might take care of the problem too. Who knows? I would love to see this puppy put to rest, even though I have not been bitten by it.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2008 Dec 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Slobodan,

I'm happy to have helped you. I too got frustrated and when I thought I had THE solution it somehow didn't work the next time with a next movie. The main problem somewhere lies with the xmpses and other non important files.

Somehow the timecodes at the end of these files or the last framecodes are corrupt. They are differently made in CS2 than in CS3. CS2 always works (with me) and CS3 gives errors when using motion menus.

So if you don't use motion menus you can still use CS3 and throw away the junk before importing in encore. If you want to use motion menu's you'll find that buying CS2 encore will make you happy. By the way CS2 will also work with Photoshop 10.

I whish you all the best in making nice movies of your son.

Greetings Marcel Wolfert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2008 Dec 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I too got frustrated and when I thought I had THE solution it somehow didn't work the next time with a next movie

Hi, Marcel.

Ah, yes, that was a thrilling time when it looked like you may have solved this. And yes, failure is a terrible thing. lol

Your solution does work frequently - its main limitation is having to redo chapters. I have used it several times since, but other workarounds have usually worked. I do not have CS2, and have not gone back to DVDIt (my backup - that fails for other reasons about as often!) since moving to Encore.

Before your original post, I had not understood at all how important the xmpses files are. I still don't understand them, but I do believe that part of the chain of events that lead to some of the pgc errors involve this file. But since it works for me most of the time and for others all the time, I do not believe it a "bug."

I'm not looking for "the solution," I believe it will go away when I go to a new computer. I just bring my new and improved, always precise workflow, and get error free results over half the time. For the other times, I beat the monster down with my bag of workarounds.

Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2009 Jan 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to am having the issue and spent all weekend testing different variations in order to try and find a fix. After, wasting my entire weekend and loosing all my work on my project, I believe (unfortunately) I can disprove this theory in most cases.

Simply because after trying a lot of other encoding methods, I simply exported from Premiere using the Media Encoder (giving me just an m2v and wav). Then I converted the .wav file to ac3, imported with only those two files to Encore, created my chapters and boom, FUBAR again.

Sorry...but I feel your pain. I never expected this level of unreliability from an Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2009 Feb 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People,

I think I now have found THE internal software error. Just Buy CS4 and upgrade to 4.0.1

Just read below last bug fix:

Notable fixes
Bug fixed (#1753190): High Definition video preview in Encore is not real time
o High definition video preview has been fixed to be played back in real time.
Bug fixed (#1832192): Application failure while importing some .mpeg files on Windows
Vista
o Importing certain mpeg files when into Encore caused the application to fail. This
issue has been fixed.
Bug fixed (#1619803): Application failure during startup when certain DVD hardware are
attached to the system
o Certain DVD hardware caused the application failure while launching.
Bug fixed (#1602741): Widescreen project exported to a widescreen Flash Export preset
generates incorrect output frame size
o The frame is now exported correctly to Flash by the application and no
letterboxing or pillar boxing is now seen
Bug fixed (#1871844): Encore shows internal software error while burning the project.
o The application error which occurred while burning the project is fixed in the
update

So to all who didn't believe it was a bug but just a way of working around and managing your workflow: this is the real answer. It was just a bug!

greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2009 Feb 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcel, I'd like to share your optimism that it was just a bug, but I never got this error in Encore CS3.

More likely, Adobe has fixed a bug in the CS4 update that sounds very much like your problem with CS3. But it may not have been the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines