• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to change the "Sequence Settings" of a Multi-Cam sequence after-the-fact?

Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change the "Sequence Settings" of a Multi-Cam sequence after-the-fact?

In other words Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence > Sequence Settings > Three Options: 1 - Camera;  2 - All Cameras; 3 - Switch Audio

It seems once one of those 3 options has been chosen at creation, the settings become permanent.

Is that true?  Or is there a way to change the Sequence Settings after-the-fact?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi ETorr,

Or is there a way to change the Sequence Settings after-the-fact?

I am sorry but I do not think you can.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ETorr,

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/kulpreet+singh  wrote

Hi ETorr,

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Thank you Kulpreet for the confirmation

Posting at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Add two features to Menu > Sequence > Sequence Settings...

How would you like this feature to work.

Add two features to Menu > Sequence > Sequence Settings...

In the popup

1 - Ability to change the Multi-Cam Sequence settings between "Camera 1", "All Cameras", & "Switch Audio"

2 - Ability to change the Channel Format between "Mono", "Stereo", "Adaptive", and "5.1"

Why is this feature important to you?

Flexibility / non-linear planning

The Inability to change this after sequence creation forces a more linear workflow, requiring settings to be defined accurately up before you begin working

The natural workflow tends to be a process of trial and error, or switching back and forth depending on the post-production context.  So in one moment you might want want an Adaptive sequence output, the next a stereo; at one point in the process you want audio to follow video, at other stages, not.

The circumstance that gave rise to this request was a recent project with over 100 Multi-Cam sequences covering 100s of hours of footage.  The Assistant editor prepped them all as Camera 1, stereo output.

We needed them Switched Audio, Multi-channel output.  By the time I was brought in many of the Multi-Cams had already been edited into prep sequences.

We're now faced with starting the prep from scratch and overcutting everythign as opposed to adjusting after the fact and seeing those adjustments ripple through the existing edits.  Would have saved us days, maybe a week of down time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this just works better.

Manual Multi-Camera Method

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

I find this just works better.

Manual Multi-Camera Method 

I'd looked at that earlier.  The post doesn't address switched sound explicitly.

The tests I ran do accommodate switching sound, but not in a way that seems immediately coherent or manageable.

The "Switch Audio" from the automated approach is good about maintaining relations between source picture & sound.

The manually approach described your link seems to switch between tracks 1, 2, 3 etc. which could be rigged to work, but without more sophisticated control will quickly fall apart in the complex, hodge-podgy sound workflows that increasingly seem the norm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post doesn't address switched sound explicitly.

Correct.  The post only addresses the creation of multicam sequences.  Audio Follows Video will behave the same with either method.

For more refined audio control, select only the video portion in step 4.  This leaves the audio as a normal nested sequence, with all original audio coming through, allowing you to mix in the Source Sequence after cutting the angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

select only the video portion in step 4.  This leaves the audio as a normal nested sequence, with all original audio coming through, allowing you to mix in the Source Sequence after cutting the angles.

Working with "raw sound" -- i.e. sound outside the multicam sequence is a workflow that makes sense in a standard multicam environment -- 3-camera comedy, live-to-tape show -- where there are a minimum number of multicam sequences, and they're laid out in full across your timeline, and you're job is to switch and do pull-ups.

This situation is a reality-style shoot, multiple cameras shooting at once, sound coming in from both the on-cam mics and wireless lavs on each performer arriving to post in mult-track wavs, with over 100 multi-cam sequences, which a now-released AE assembled w/o "switch sound".

So what ultimately we're looking for is very articulate control over which picture & sound.  If there's a shard of sound in the timeline, we need to be able match back to the multicam, pull up matching picture or a different lav at any given moment.

PPro is absolutely brilliant in the way that it re-conceived Multi-Cam as an editable sequence -- sync-adjustable, extensible after-the-fact -- Adobe sweeps the floor with Avid.

BUT on this particular issue Avid offers a significantly more powerful UI: Their "Group Clips" (Avid-speak for "Multi-Cam Sequences") have extremely articulate, clear and coherent control over picture and sound selection both, any tracks, all tracks, whether monitoring source side, or adjusting after-the-fact sequence-side, or just match-framing to group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's not so many occasions where I really want to 'switch audio with video' more often I want to be able to right click on an audio clip in the timeline and choose from any of the sync map tracks.

I can see how complicated this is, once you get away from mono tracks (hence avid groups only work with mono) but audio is a huge part of editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor_Asq  wrote

There's not so many occasions where I really want to 'switch audio with video' more often I want to be able to right click on an audio clip in the timeline and choose from any of the sync map tracks.

Agreed.  And the good news is that once you get an "Audio with Video" M-cam seq. working, you get the right-click option you're looking for.  They key here is getting the multi-cam sequence set up properly.  Under many circumstances you can simply use the command "Clip > Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence" with the subsetting "Audio > Sequence Settings" set to Switch Audio.

Frequently that will do it for you.

But not always

The challenge comes when more complex source audio configurations are involved -- mixes of mono, stereo, multi-channel, etc.  At that point auto-building the multi-cam sequence is just the first step, but you need to know and leverage the underlying logic of PPro's multi-cam suite of features -- to know how to build an audio-switchable m-cam sequence completely manually -- to have masterful control over complex sound.

Haven't worked it out in all its detail yet.  It gets pretty involved.  Will post when I can make it clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's helpful tip from Paul Murphy

Example - if your sequence was set to Camera 1 when you created it, open up the Multicam Sequence, unmute all the other tracks, change the master track to match the number of tracks and then update the output channel assignment so that track 1 = channel 1, track 2 - channel 2, etc. You'll also need to select the sequence and choose Clip> Modify > Audio Channels and update the number of audio channels there.

Building off Paul's note, the thing that matters is knowing that V1 relates to A1, V2 to A2.  That's counterintuitive for people with Avid's "group clips", where one picture track can associate with two mono audio tracks in a group clip.

PPro's approach allows (if not requires) you to build your Multicam Source Sequence with a mix of mono, stereo, adaptive tracks, (depending on your master clips' audio configurations) to control how you want to pass sound to your Edited Sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i think I mentioned this elsewhere: BEWARE the behaviour if you 'flatten' the multicam audio (e.g. for turnover).

Do please report back on anything else you find, it's useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines