• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

jumpy footage after applying "optical flow"

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have just purchased Mac Mini with m1 chip and i am doing my first project, once i apply slow motion with optical flow to get a smooth motion the result is a jumpy footage i hve tried different footage form different cameras but all give me the same result has anyone encountered similar problem plesae help.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Here are some example exported clips.

The first two contain glitches, the last clip is correct.

Again, these clips are all exported from the same sequence with exactly the same settings.

Sometimes the export will result in a smooth clip, sometimes it will have one or more glitches.

It's very frustrating when trying to export a 40 minute timeline to find there is a glitch in one of the clips at the very end of the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

The latest version of Premiere Pro provides native support for Apple M1 systems. To run the latest version in Rosetta mode, go to /Applications, find Adobe Premiere Pro 2021, right-click > Get Info and check the box "Open using Rosetta".

SumeetKumarChoubey_0-1628851315117.png

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

That's the info for the Premiere folder, not the Premiere app.

You need to open that folder, which will reveal the Premiere app itself.

Select that, do a Get Info, and you'll the option to Open using Rosetta, as per Sumeet's advice above.

You can also refer to my suggestion towards the bottom of this thread for a workaround that allows Premiere to run using the optimised Apple Silicon version, while exporting using the Intel version of MediaEncoder (via Rosetta).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some example exported clips.

The first two contain glitches, the last clip is correct.

Again, these clips are all exported from the same sequence with exactly the same settings.

Sometimes the export will result in a smooth clip, sometimes it will have one or more glitches.

It's very frustrating when trying to export a 40 minute timeline to find there is a glitch in one of the clips at the very end of the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Premiere 15.4 using Rosetta, I exported the full 40 minutes timeline.

Checking the MP4 file in VLC, it does not appear to have any glitches in the slowed-down sections, therefore I can only assume that this is a bug in the Apple Silicon version of Premiere.

Hopefully if can be fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We're investigating a similar issue. Could you please confirm the source of these media files? Was it captured on Sony A7S III or Sony FX3?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sumeet,

Thank you for your reply.

This is for a product tutorial video shot on three cameras (three different angles):

- Sony α7C

- Sony α6600

- Sony α6400

...all capturing 4K@24fps.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking that. Can you also confirm if this is happening with any of the other Time Interpolation methods like Frame Blending or Frame Sampling? Also, if possible please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing the issue. It would help us to diagnose the issue properly.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sumeet,

I created a new sequence that contains one of the slow-down clips (a keyboard action sampling being pressed and released), and copied the same clip multiple times across a sequence.

I exported this with the Apple Silicon version of Premiere and there are several noticeable glitches, although some of the clips towards the end of the sequence play smoothly - it seems to be random.

Then I exported the same sequence in the Intel version of Premiere (with Rosetta enabled) and all of the clips in the sequence played smoothly, without any glitches.

>Can you also confirm if this is happening with any of the other Time Interpolation methods like Frame Blending or Frame Sampling?

>Also, if possible please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing the issue. It would help us to diagnose the issue properly.

I changed all of the clips to Frame Sampling and the export produces a clip without any glitches.

I tried again using Frame Blending and the export produces a clip with just one glitchy sequence, so less common than Optical Flow, but it seems to still occur.  I only tried this under Apple Silicon, not Intel.

>Also, if possible please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing the issue. It would help us to diagnose the issue properly.

Sure, here's a download link to the test project, which includes the original clip, as well as the different exported MP4 files.  It's from a Japanese file hosting site, however just scroll down and click the "glitch test.zip" link to get the file.

Here's a screenshot of the contents:

Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 14.12.39.png
Thanks in advance for looking into this!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here's the download link:

https://xgf.nu/FRVB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the files. Please allow us some time to get this checked at our end.

-Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sumeet,

Thank you for your reply, and thank you to the moderators for merging this thread.

The workaround I am using for now, is to run Premiere as a native M1 app (i.e. without using Rosetta), but launch MediaEncoder using Rosetta.  Then, when exporting the timeline, I send it (Queue) to MediaEncoder instead of encoding in Premiere itself.

Note that you will need to launch MediaEncoder manually, and have it sitting in the background when adding the job to the Queue.  If you launch MediaEncoder from Premiere, it will always start-up using the Apple Silicon verion, instead of via Rosetta.

Anyway, with this workflow, the job is rendered by MediaEncoder using the Intel version.  It means the export time will longer than native Apple Silicon, however the optical flow jumps/glitches should not occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workaround did not work for me. Using video from Canon XA40 4k H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The latest premiere pro version as of September 2022 does not reflect that issue anymore. Got fixed. Thanks adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sumeet,

Would you please update with the status of this issue?

I'm experiencing heavy random jitter on my entire project with optical flow and exporting it multiple times does not help, still getting jitter here and there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same problems and currently trying to do the rosetta fix.

my footage are from 

Canon 6D mark II

Canon Rebel T6s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following. Also just upgraded to a M1 Macbook Pro, and can't get the optical flow to not jump around regardless of what settings I'm using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rosetta fixed for me, but hopeing there was a better solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same issue on my M1 Macbook Pro. The workaround provided by Cute James does work, but anyone confirm that Adobe is working on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded mac os Big Sur to mac os Monterey and it fixed the issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, really?

I'm still on Big Sur (11.6) here, but intend to do a clean install of Monterey in the near future.

I'll definitely look forward to giving this a try!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my apologies after using more of the slow mo with optical flow i observed some jumpy issues as before and it seems still have to use the rosetta enabled option on the Adobe premirere and Adobe encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am experiencing this now. Glitches in clips with optical flow. this was easily solvable in windows by nesting. Not now that i have an m1. Macbook Pro, footage from GoPro Hero 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines