• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard Shortcut for setting keyframes

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a fair bit of googling on the subject of setting a keyboard shortcut for creating keyframes, but have not found the definitive answer.

No doubt there is some URL that will tell how its done or if it can be done, and I may well be beating a well answered question here. 

I don't find such an answer.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create a keyboard shortcut to set keyframes, or if one already exists.

I've grepped the full list of keyboard shortcuts (from printed out text file of all of them) and do not see much about keyframes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 22, 2010 Dec 22, 2010

If it's possible, you'll do it via Edit>Keyboard Customization...

If it ain't there, it ain't anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

What does it mean when you say "If it ain't there it ain't anywhere"

Do you mean it might not be possible after all or what?

Do you know for sure if it is or is not possible?

I've looked around in that area quite a bit without seeing how I might set a keyboard combo that would insert a keyframe.

I've reduced all the kb shortcuts to 1 large text file, in that file the word keyframe appears in two places, line 438 and 439 under `effects control' panel.  You can set a keyboard combo to `snap to video or audio keyframes'

Message was edited by: HarryPutnam  Took out some remarks that were not helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have to click the little keyframe thing and thats that....

weird...at first I thought you were talking about keyframes for groups of pictures (gop ) or something..

I think what you see in the menu for "keyboard" setup is basically the only stuff you can change and create "new" shortcuts etc...so thats why Jim said " if its not there...you cant do it "  basically...

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know for sure if it is or is not possible?

No.  But if you can't find it in keyboard customization, then there are only two possible explanations.  The first is that you've somehow missed it.  The second (and more likely) is that it's simply not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would it even mean to have "a shortcut for setting keyframes"?

What functionality, exactly, are you looking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same puzzle. The addition of Keyframes in the Effects Control Panel is basically a one-click thing, and if one makes a change to the attributes, PrPro does it automatically.

Might be a great reason to have a keyboard shortcut, but it escapes me.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I am facing the same puzzle. The addition of Keyframes in the Effects Control Panel is basically a one-click thing, and if one makes a change to the attributes, PrPro does it automatically.

Might be a great reason to have a keyboard shortcut, but it escapes me.

Hunt

I no doubt use the most terrible work flow known to man but here is how it would help me.

I usually do fades, audio and video, in the timeline, not in the limited space one has to work in using the effects controls.

I go to effects-contorls  for `position' and `scale' but not usually for fading.  (opacity and audio volume)

In the timeline you must set two keyframes by clicking on the tool in the head of the track.  That tool may be a good ways from where work is being preformed, and you need to move the cursor to get the second one on the timeline.

If I could hit Ctrl-k or something similar and plop a keyfram into selected clip at the cursor, that, to me, would be a big improvement and over time a bit of a time saver too.

If you fellows would be kind enough to describe briefly how you handle that sort of thing.... I'd probably benefit from it.

Do you always use effect-controls panel, or maybe some custom predefined insertion setting?

Can one make a keyboard command to insert a predefined clip ending/beginning sort of definition?

(A digression about the setting of kb shortcuts)

It would seem that if a command exists, there would be a way to set a kb shortcut... no?

Maybe even if scripting were necessary.

Here is an example of what I mean:

on the right click menu in timeline one finds `reveal in project' .  When you click it, a command is clearly executed and you are jumped to that piece of source material in project panel.   So, if there is a command that premiere can be told to execute with a mouse click, could it not also be told to execute it with a keyboard command?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this section for how something similar is handled in After Effects, requiring a separate shortcut for each property.

Here's a reminder of where the feature-request form is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

See this section for how something similar is handled in After Effects, requiring a separate shortcut for each property.

Now I'm really confused.... I'm apparently too dim to see how that chart applies to figuring out how to insert keyframes in Premier with keyboard shortcuts.

Are you saying some of those apply to premier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm giving you hints about how to word your feature request for Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No, I'm giving you hints about how to word your feature request for Premiere Pro." <- LOL this was 2010, and today is 2020 and still this feature was never implemented. There'll be time when I leave Adobe Premiere because they don't listen to their customer's feedback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually do fades, audio and video, in the timeline

Dude, there are "effects" for those and they already have keyboard shortcuts.  You are doing it the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

I usually do fades, audio and video, in the timeline

Dude, there are "effects" for those and they already have keyboard shortcuts.  You are doing it the hard way.

I'm at risk of bein drummed out of here for being as dense as a fence post .... but can you give something concrete.  Something I can at least look up.   Maybe the name of the `effects' group where these are found.

Maybe at least the proper name so that searches have some chance of turning something up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default video transition is a dissolve.  The default for audio is a crossfade.  Both go to black or silence if placed at the end of a clip.

The keyboard shortcuts are CTRL+D for video and CTRL+SHIFT+D for audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, those defaults can be reset to other choices.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

The default video transition is a dissolve.  The default for audio is a crossfade.  Both go to black or silence if placed at the end of a clip.

The keyboard shortcuts are CTRL+D for video and CTRL+SHIFT+D for audio.

Ahh now I see what you all were gettingat.

I nevers specified  that I'm speaking of stacked clips, 2 or more.

Somehing along the line of multicamera editing but without the confusion of generating a new timeline section or having to unwinde it later it something needs editing.

Just sewing several clips together by hand.

The only way I could think of to do that with transitions would be to make multiple cuts where needed or by Multicam technique and I find that in many cases its easier done by hand than multicam... having a kb shortcut to insert keyframes would help that along.

Is there no one else doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you target multiple tracks, you can add the default transition to all those clips with a single keypress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, It would be very useful to have keyboard short cuts to advance to the next key frame or go back to previous keyframe in the effects control panel rather than having to use the mouse... it would speed workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I've been asking adobe to implement a quicker way to create motiion, effects, or sound keyframes.  It's silly to have to keep going back to the effects controls in order to do this. Final Cut 7 allowed you to create a keyframe from the timeline with a keystroke, without having to navigate to a specific attribute. You were also able to adjust the position of the keyframe within the timeline.

Also, ...please create a better Media browser.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solution: If you have a Logitech XM Ergo Mouse (or Wacom Tablet, or other accessory with programmable buttons) you can go to the device's settings. Select Premiere Pro from the applications list. Select the button you want to program for keyframing. Choose: Advanced Click: Click, Ctrl.

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines