• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mark Split in source window doesn't perform correctly

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the Marker: Mark Split: Video In (or Audio In) function, with unsatisfactory results, as follows: 

In the source monitor, I set in-points for leading audio, then for trailing video.  (Performance is the same for leading video, trailing audio in-points.)   When edited into the timeline, the audio edit happens in the correct position on the audio track. But at the same point on the video track, the  video from the original clip is overwritten by black, until new video starts downstream at the new video in-point.  The editor must then pull the original clip's video forward, to reach the in-point for the new video, turning a one-step process into two, essentially negating any reason for the feature's existence.

I am a relatively new Premiere Pro CC user coming from FCP7, where I used this feature frequently with expected results, meaning that asynchronous audio and video cuts are made at their respective in-points set with the Mark Split command, in a single edit. Thinking this issue could be due to my failure to use or set a related option correctly (i.e. using overwrite vs. insert or some other choice, or failing to unlink, or using a subclip for my source, or some other obscure nuance - none of which proved to the be the case), I called Adobe and eventually reached a support tech who shared my screen, and then replicated the above behavior on his local system. He then said this was the expected behavior for the feature, which is inconceivable to me! 

Does anyone have experience using this feature successfully?  I have scoured the forums, online tutorials, Lynda, etc., with almost no mention of this feature in Premiere.  (There are plenty of tutorials for its use in FCP7.)  Help would be most appreciated as I like this workflow in many cases where split V/A edits are indicated. Thank you in advance.

Specs:  Using Premiere Pro CC, all updates current, MacOS 10.11.6, iMac 27" late 2013, 8GB memory, 3.2Ghz processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT graphics.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of this feature in PPro.

Where does one find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... I'd never heard or seen it either, but if you've got a clip in the Source monitor, right-click & go down a bit, there it is!

Haven't had time to test it out, however ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With focus set to the source monitor containing a clip, click on the main toolbar's Marker choice.  Mark Split is in the dropdown, with a carat pointing to choices for Video In, Video Out, Audio In and Audio Out.  Or, as Neil replies below, you can right-click on the source monitor if it is populated, for the same menu.

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 7.51.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx guys ...will check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to second that mark split does not give expected results - but for different reasons. I've used split editing in Avid for years and it's a very handy feature especially when laying graphics in the timeline with synced audio.

If you are using a subsequence as your source (which in my case is basically a graphic with  a music and fx track below it) and I want the audio to lead the video I do not experience the overwrite problem mentioned in the OP's post because I'm using a separate video track to overlay the alpha channelled graphic so no issues there... however, when making a split edit like this on Avid (and I think FCP), the in point on the timeline should sync with the video in point, not the audio in point. Unless you specifically lay an audio in point on the timeline which you can't do on PP I don't think? For some reason it only supports source side splits.

Seems like a fairly basic missing feature if you favour keyboard editing like I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, you can drag the split source clip to the timeline and it should work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea and I will try that, but it might still try to snap to the audio in unless I have the timeline quite zoomed in.. my way of working has just never been mouse based so if I want split editing to work the way I think it should I'll just have to file another product suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Premiere favours the leading track, rather than just audio over video explicitly. If your video is leading your audio, that's what will sync to your playhead.

I suppose this is to deal with the issue of what will happen if there is not enough room to accommodate the leading track on the timeline. For e.g. if your split is around 10 seconds wide (with audio leading), and you're trying to place your video at the 5 second mark in your sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

eikonoklastes  wrote

I suppose this is to deal with the issue of what will happen if there is not enough room to accommodate the leading track on the timeline. For e.g. if your split is around 10 seconds wide (with audio leading), and you're trying to place your video at the 5 second mark in your sequence.

Yes but it does this whether there is enough room or not. It's basically because Premiere does not support split edits on the record side and therefore there is no specific mark audio in as opposed to mark video in. Can't hurt to run a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines