• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask Path Keyframes - Not Interpolating

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find a solution to the exact issue I've been having.

Lately, when I've been trying to mask out a moving clip using either Crop or Opacity masks in Premiere Pro CC 2019, I've been finding that the Mask Path keyframes will not interpolate between each other as they're supposed to, rather jumping to the next keyframe on that frame and sticking to it until the next keyframe comes along. This forces me to keyframe every single frame, which, along with being far more time-consuming, inevitably leads to some jittering edges since it's near-impossible to place the points as accurately between two keys as the program can. This feature used to work perfectly for me in previous versions of the software and I could create high-quality masks relatively quickly, but now it's a time-consuming mess with less-than-desirable results.

Does anyone have any idea of a solution to this issue? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont use the mask feature of the crop effect: they dont go together very well.

I have seen quirky behavior on masks.

Have you tried the clip in a single sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused.

If you Track a Mask, it will create keyframes on every single frame, so there's nothing to interpolate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dominick

looks like no noe here understood your question well / or gave you a solution. 

I am strugling with exaly same problem with interpopation of mask path. Have you figured it out?

Please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this exact same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe your steps, Jacob. Please also give us info on your system and media. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. I go into oppacity, create a mask in the middle, start and end of the clip, and instead of morphing between the 3 masks i made, it jumps harshly from one mask to another. my media is Full HD 25p at 50M XAVC S HD, system is a i7 8750H, a 2080 max q, Crucial 32GB 2400MHz RAM and 500GB Samsung nvme m.2 ssd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're creating mulitiple masks? Wrong.

Create one mask, and then use the track forward/back controls to tell Premiere to track the masked item that direction. If it gets off, stop it, delete a few keyframes and reset one or two manually, then continue the tracking. Those are the little left/right arrows in the mask controls in the ECP. As in the image below.

Neil

Mask Tracking Controls.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not making multiple masks, in hindsight, i expressed myself very poorly. i make one mask, go to the end, deform it, and there is no interpolation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that, you would need to select the keyframes and set the type of interpolation you want. Linear, bezier, whatever.

I'm not sure why you do that rather than use the tracking though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, and when clicking on the keyframe to set the type of interpolation, the different options are greyed out, any solution to this? The reason i'd prefer it to tracking is that I find the tracking somewhat innacurate. (btw sorry that this is 2 years late haha)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw incase this is a fix for anyone, I fixed this myself by clicking on the wrench button, and changing the tracking method to 'Position'.

Adobe_Premiere_Pro_koYFKNTUd4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I am encountering the same issue:

I have a mask that deforms at different keyframes. Between certain keyframes, there is interpolation of the mask, while between others, the mask remains the same as the first keyframe until the next keyframe. The interpolation options are grayed out, but linear is checked.

Additionally, I have observed the following:

When I begin to deform the mask at a subsequent keyframe and check the intermediate frames, the interpolation may be present. However, when I continue deforming the mask at the last keyframe and regularly check for interpolation, the issue of non-interpolation sometimes reoccurs. A temporary fix is to click ctrl-z (Windows) repeatedly until reaching a situation where the interpolation is working correctly. Then, continue editing your last mask from there until you notice the interpolation issue reappears, and you need to use ctrl-z again....

This bug is quite frustrating as it hampers the video editing process tremendously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have encountered the same problem and found out the following key points to get rid of this situation:
1) You should not be creating new masks in each keyframes ( there should not be Mask(2), Mask(3), etc)

2) In the next keyframe first just DRAG the mask then modify the mask points accordingly. 

I was not following the 2nd point but now its working. I am having mask interpolation between any two keyframes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines