• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media files deleted after 2017.1 upgrade

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a coincidence, but it's a mighty big one at that.  I upgraded this afternoon and opened my most recent project.  I went through the new features and then looked into the Preferences to see if there was anything new.  Arriving at the Media Cache tab I decided click on "clean unused"  Media Cache Database.  That's something I've done in previous versions.  Then I closed the open project and opened another I had finished last week.  Surprise, all media files were missing.  I checked the original file's directory.  All of the root and subfolders were intact.  However, when I looked in the clip folder all of the .MXF files were gone, leaving just the .xmp and .XML.  Every folder, in every project that was shot in AVCHD or XAVC (except for the one that was initially open) was missing the media files.  Not only that, but I found FCP 7 Capture scratch folders emptied except for the autosave vault.   There were other media files missing as well including mp4 exports, and some but not all .mov exports from every project.  Also missing are from a foder are .img files containing DVD images.  Unexplainably, some ProRes files recorded on Atomos were untouched, as well as other's that were transcodes from XAVC to ProRes. 

I contacted Adobe Support via chat.  The agent told me that it was not possible for the "clean unused" function to cause all the deletions.  You can specify the media cache directory to be cleaned and in my case it was definitely not the root of the drive, nor any of the media folders.   He said that nobody has reported this issue so far.

All of my media is on a two drive RAID and that was the only drive effected. The good news is that all of my media is backed up, sometimes twice for the most important clients.  Of course restoring all that media will take hours.  Before I do that I'm running a file restoration program (that also takes hours).

Finally, the "clean unused" command may have nothing to do with it, but the fact that no media was deleted from the open project is suspicious. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 129 Replies 129
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's just therapy at this point...  but weeks later and I'm still discovering things that are missing, still finding things broken, still facing daily reminders about what was removed/broken.  Does ANYONE know if Adobe is going to do anything about this (beyond the fix...)

Again, maybe no one else is still following this thread... but I check often to see if there is any further action from Adobe.

Still dejected.

mb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know they followed up with a bunch of people ... did you contact Kevin-Monahan​ or RameezKhan​ about this?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you. I've reached out to Kevin and will likely hear from him soon. This is a big deal and I've suffered some significant losses myself. Recovery software has failed to bring anything back.

You are not alone in your dejectedness. Not that it helps.

Good luck,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: deleted message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Edited for content).  If it had happened to me to the degree that it burned some of the users who posted here, especially when these things happen to us in the process of being Unpaid Beta-Testers.

Moderator note: Please do not discuss legal issues. They are against our community guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines