• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOGRT Creates Duplicate Media inside Motion Graphics Template folder!

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a massive bug or I'm doing something seriously wrong, but I mean, it's nothing complicated!  I create a MOGRT in AE to repeatedly use in Premiere for placing and editing lower thirds.  It's a very simple design.  I exported the MOGRT and imported into essential graphics panel per normal.  Here's where it gets interesting.  When I then place that into my sequence, naturally the Motion Graphics Template Media appears in my project window BUT NOTE:  it now has almost all the media from my sesquence.  So, if suddenly the clips used in my sequence aren't related to my well organized project, they are now in the Motion Graphics Template folder.  If I delete that Templates folder nearly my entire sequence clips are gone.  Is it me or is this really bizarre!?  Any ideas why this is happening?  

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Developer Supremo @DaciaSaenz has responded in another thread on this with the answer:

Mogrt Duplication Solution

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is strange. When Premiere starts acting strange you should reset preferences. With the app close click on the app icon and follow these instructions. 

1. Hold down: Alt/Options on Mac or Alt on (Windows).
  2. Keep holding down the Alt key, and click on the Premiere Pro app icon to open it.
  3. In a few seconds, it asks you “Are you sure you want to reset your preferences?”. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're troubleshooting this as we speak, it's happening across multiple machines, even afer resestting preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to us today as well. Most recent OS and Premiere versions.

Reset preferences and... still doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I'm not the only one.  I too have reset preferences and it's still doing this.  It's a bizarre and surprising experience as far as bugs go at how it literally puts a massive amount of clips in this folder that is then suddenly linked to those and no relationship to my originally sourced media.  Crazy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freshness of our experiences makes me think it's a very recent update somewhere along the line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something similiar is happening to me - important templates from Essential Graphics in Premiere, by dragging it into my timeline, and there's a new folder called something along the lines of "Media for Animation Template" (my program is in German, so not an exact name) which duplicates all the video clips from the time line - once PER template I import. So now all the media has like 3 duplicates, and I can't delete any of it, since apparently every single one is linked to the timeline and consolidation also doesn't work.

It also messes with my color coding every time, which is annoying. This seems like strange, unintended behavior and is blowing up my project with duplicate media for no reason. Looking forward to a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, it's super annoying. Consolidating duplicates seems to have no effect on these extra clips. And with every additional MOGRT I lay into my timeline, another set of duplicate clips appear. Since I use a lot of templates, I ended up with a ton of duplicates. I backed down to 22.5 and it seemed to stop making new clips, but I still can't consolidate the dupes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate this with any mogrts I've created or from the 'built-in' ones in Premiere. So yea, it's puzzling.

What media are you including in that mogrt from Ae? As I know video files aren't actually usable in the process going from Ae to Pr, among other things For video files one should just use a placeholder in the mogrt.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No media from the Mogrt I created in AE.  Originally, I was attempting to streamline simply some lower thirds I was populating throughout the program.  Simple design but I found it easier to achieve my vision in AE with motion and layout.  Nothing was created outside of AE it was just some solids, couple type layers, and keyframes...that was as simple as the project was to create the Mogrt to come into Premiere when this started happening.  I haven't use a Mogrt in a while so maybe it's been a few versions of premiere but have done it before and no problems like this.  As another user suggests, maybe a combination of version, machine, maybe other factors.  I'm on a PC, windows 10, Threadripper.  

That being said, I'm on to another project, very simple multi-cam edit and decided why not bring in one of the stock Adobe MOGRTS and see what happens (usually resulting in a exit without save) and well, this time it worked!  I did update recently perhaps this was something on the radar? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIght be useful to go through Jarle’s Making Mogrt’s ebook on Adobe blog which is free from Adobe ... easy read, maybe you can see if there's a mis-step in your process somewhere. Easy enough to do, of course.

And might be interesting if you could share one of the mogrts that goes bonzo on your machine, so I and others here could test it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well using mogrts that I've used for years without issue. I just got a new machine and with it the latest version of Premiere, so I'm pretty sure this is a bug introduced recently. Looking forward to a solution on this, it really makes the projects a mess -- and I haven't tried to consolidate yet, but it's very discouraging to hear this breaks that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While searching for this specific error, for now this post is all I could find (except for one in Reddit with same problem occuring)
Some thoughts about this (re-edit from my comments in Reddit):  Seems to be specific thing in 26.x.x version as 23.1 (Beta) doesn't or 25.x didn't behave like that. Offlining/ Replacing media also doesn't do anything.

After more focused fast debugging/ few tries to find workaround came up with conclusion:

In mostly clear project nothing seems to duplicate while creating new sequence, adding some MXF's or other files like mp4's and then Mogrt's. More strange is fact, that - when adding Mov's that are rendered from After Effects project - they duplicate straight away. Not a good sign. And with all things considered - doesn't matter if rendered items are from same project from where came specific mogrt, or mogrt has video file in it or just plain shapes/text. All the same. Can't really test with built in mogrts, because as i see them as clutter, i always get rid of them after fresh install.
Beahviour is same with sequence already in project, and new one (created from scratch, layout copied trough "new sequence" dialog to keep tracks and routing)

Side note: nothing changes even if Mogrt is stored in Libraries versus in Local folder.

Another occurance of duplicate media is, when imported from older project/sequence and copied to desired sequence. In this case media clips duplicate at random choice (mp4's MXF's, Mov's) - not all of them, only some which are in proximity to place in timeline where I drag Mogrt file. If media is copied from imported Project's sequence to another new clean sequence, then copied to one in question, in some cases items don't duplicate while Mogrt is applied. Didn't try this with rendered Mov's from After Effects.

Still, for now workaround seems to be this: Add desired mogrt's to clean empty new sequence and than copy them to one in need. Not the end of the world, but it's definitely slowing down things when time is an essence.

Consolidating duplicates won't help as if Premiere (seems to) sees original and duplicate as e-x-a-c-t same instance. If one or other is deleted then it goes away for every instance in timeline(s).

Only workaround for duplicates that are already made, because upgrading/downgrading project keeps them tied together with originals, is to leave them be as is...(i know it's mess),  or duplicate the one(s) in original Bin (right click > duplicate in project window). Now you get instance "filename copy 01", and then replace every instance of duplicated media in every sequence and check usage (check to show video/audio usage in project metadata) , then delete "dupes" and original "filename" which is not in use anymore so the duplicate "filename copy 01" is only one left, prefferably in desired Bin, not Motion Graphics Template Bin. That could be a way to clean things up.

Way to stop this form starting, downgrade to 22.5 (in my experience 22.4 on windows 11, because 22.5 somehow broke afte updating) or experience new heights and/or bugs in 23.1 Beta, in which versions i didn't experience this behavior.

Only speculation about all this mess may be tied to features/fixes? that are in "work in progress" in current stable/beta versions about media placeholder option for mogrts... or other things. But it's only a theory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note about freshly created sequence: when sequence is created and first step is to copy over Media from old sequence, and then apllying Mogrts. then result is same: duplicates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developer Supremo @DaciaSaenz has responded in another thread on this with the answer:

Mogrt Duplication Solution

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, interesting. Double checked Projects with occuring problem (those in which i use Mogrts) In all of them Ingest / Proxies are disabled as this particular funcionality is not needed for daily tasks (All media is allready organised on Local/Network storage and mostly not Multicam takes or 4K) But true. could not Reproduce this in Beta version. Thanks for link!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This exact same thing happened to me. It is so frustrating 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines