Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Monitoring 1080p from UHD Sequence via BMD UltraStudio 3G

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - 

I edit most of my projects using a 3840x2160 sequence, and I'm trying to monitor by sending the output to my FSI DM241 via a Blackmagic UltraStudio 3G. The problem is that the monitor is 1920x1200, and certain modes are only available when the source is 1920x1080. I can set the UltraStudio 3G to output 1080p, but when I click into PremierePro, it changes back to outputting 2Kp23.98 DCI.

As far as I know, there's no way to prevent Premiere from doing this in the Playback preferences. I've also looked into the Video Previews tab of the sequence settings with no luck. If I change the sequence itself to a 1920x1080p sequence, that solves the problem - but I don't want to edit in 1080p, and I don't really want to edit in 1080p and then convert everything back up to UHD when finalizing the project.

So... is there a way to have the playback of a UHD sequence output a 1080p signal? I know this isn't a BMD forum, but maybe there's a way to lock the output of the UltraStudio at 1080p?

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That question would really need to be answered in the BM forums. There might be someone here who knows, but ... over there, you'd get a quicker reply.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil. I just figured I'd ask here as my question relates to how I'm able to manipulate Premiere's output signal. Maybe the answer is "you can't," and that it will always output at the sequence resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I don't know any way to change the monitor output signal from Premiere. It's going to be the sequence settings as far as I know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame Premiere doesn't have video monitoring options similar to Resolve. Changing the sequence settings is a work around for playing the timeline but doesn't help with playing 4k material in the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, 

Premiere Pro works better than any other NLE with third party hardware. Premiere Pro can output 8K, 4K and even 2.5 sequences to the Intensity Shuttle and Ultrastudio 3G. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, the output can be scalled for size but not, it seems, for framerate. If you have material shot 4k 50p you can't play from the source monitor if your hardware does not support that framerate. I shoot 4k 50p and edit on a HD 50p timeline, with my old Decklink 4K it would play the sequence but not the source. I have now upgraded to UltraStudi 4K Mini so now I can play both. Just need to get HDR via HDMI sorted......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had the Ultrastudio 4k Mini. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is Ultrastudio 3G can output a 4K sequence to a 1920 X 1080 monitor. The bad news is it crops the image unlike the Intensity Shuttle. I will be doing a video about this soon. Having said that in order to output 4K, 6K or even 2.5k sequences to third party hardware using Premiere Pro you need to select scale down as shown in the image below. The video below might be helpful. The Intensity Shuttle and UltraStudio 3G work about the same. You can trick the Blackmagic Design products into working correctly with odd aspect ratios and frame rates. 

ultrastudio 00.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Andy:

I just installed a BMD UltraStudio Monitor 3G on a Mac M1 Studio Ultra, and within PremierePro (latest version) the "Scale Down" option makes no difference at all.  4K sequences still will not pass through (while 1080 sequences play through fine). Any thoughts, before I return this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try scaling up and try scaling down and save the changes. Then try reboot after making the changes. Try using sequences at 30 FPS and 60 FPS. It should work unless the M1 chip is problematic. 

The Ultradstudio 3G does not scale 4K 100% correct to 1080P monitors but the Intensity Shuttle will.  You can get a used Intensity Shuttle on ebay. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could download a different driver. Some Blackmagic Design drivers can be problematic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting to “scale down” and also to “scale up”… Nothing works when playing a 4K sequence from Premiere. Those settings seem to do nothing at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, when you mentioned "try using a different driver"… What driver are you thinking? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps they eliminated that feature. Try using an older or new driver from Blackmagic Design. 

The driver is part of the Desktop Video download.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm troubleshooting the same problem. I set up a UHD 3840x2160 sequence in both Resolve and Premiere. Both are outputting via BM Ultrastudio Monitor 3G to a Flanders DM240 and both are downscaling output to 1080p. I can get both to play back on the Flanders monitor but the Premiere output is squished vertically and is cutting off the image on the right hand side by about 240 pixels. It should be an even, pixel to pixel scale down from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and Resolve seems to handle it properly but Premiere does not. Is anyone else getting a similar result?

Premiere Pro 23.0

iMacPro 12.6 Monterey

BM DesktopVideo 12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@mattchristensen @Fergus Hammond  ... either of you know who could give some tech help with this?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines