• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving tracks up and down...?

Participant ,
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So easy to do in PS AE etc, but a real mystery in PP...

And is it possible to insert a track?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

But that is ridiculous. Moving tracks or layers is standard practice in so much other software.

I assume you're talking about software like After Effects or Photoshop, which contain "layers" and not "tracks" in the way that Premiere Pro, and any other editor for that matter, have them . Perhaps it's a semantic difference, but it's an important one: in Adobe software, a "layer" contains one and only one footage item or graphical element, whereas a "track" can contain one or more footage items or g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the track select forward/backward tool to move images from a track up or down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  A little fooling about and I can see that while holding shift I can click to select everything on a paticular track and, while still holding shift, I can then drag up or down without the clips moving in time.  Nice!

Thanks again.  It's been a very long time since I've worked with Premiere.  Lots to learn 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said it 11 years ago, but it bears repeating - if the cpability is there then folks will find a use for it.

And anyone coming from a DAW background will use it straight away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using After Effects  and Sony Vegas for past years. Now i have started to study Davinci Resolve, but wanted to give Premiere a try... I was so confused when i tried to move a track down, but nothing happened... I just can't understand how this basic feature can be missed in later 2021... in software based on video and audio REARRANGE functionality

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you're talking about the way audio tracks do not move up/down in opposite motion when you move the video tracks, after they've been placed on a sequence in the Timeline panel?

As you move video to the left or right on a timeline, the audio will be moved along with it horizontally in Premiere. But they assume that most editors have their audio tracks set to the Track Mixer with submixes and such. In such a case, you would not want your audio track jumping up or down, where it might get put in a different submix.

And yes, that's a difference between PrPro and some other NLEs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annnnnnd 12 years later....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't do any good posting here with a snappy reply to an old post.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didn't hear that, what did you say? 

Yes, I am being sarcastic. It sickens me when I see a reply like this. Only to a company that doesn't give two ants asses about their users it seems logical that only feedback that comes from a specific tool (uservoice) is any good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rants are fine, I've sure posted a few epic ones here. They don't accomplish anything but letting off a bit of steam, but ... that's fine.

If you want practical stuff ... that's even better. MeyerPj's comment was a practical response. Entirely.

Adobe is a massive company, and one of it's main sections is built to work with other mega-corps on using metrics generation to make decisions to better serve their clientele. And those metrics-based people basically run the M&E staff ... which are pretty much the upper decision makers at Adobe.

So from their point of view, their metrics generation is the best way to serve the larger client base. I've been interviewed in person and online several times by M&E people in their process of studying users and learning about the proper metrics generation and stuff.

Very ... odd ... experience. Felt like dealing with computers not people, even though it was totally dealing with people.

But those metrics-based people are the upper managers, above the development teams.

I've also met in-person with quite a few of the Premiere, AfterEffects and Audition engineers and supers. Know the program heads well. They're great people who love the apps and serving the clients, but ... they work under the metrics people.

So there's some wonderful people within Adobe. And ... some sort of (to me) odd people. Which means of course, it's a bunch of humans. Like anywhere else.

And as someone who also works daily in Resolve ... all these complex apps have bugs and features that ain't set to work well with at least some of their users. Fancy hammers. Use whatever works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this insightful answer. It definitely makes one's life easier to be OK when things arent done well. Good for health! 😄

But to me, your experience confirms my worst suspicions why Adobe sucks so much on usability / UX and even product quality. There are a number examples out there of corporations who can't escape their own shackles of metrics-driven product development (e.g. the infamous Google's choosing of the brand color with AB testing). I am really curious why do these companies get stuck so heavily? Why can not those great people who care about the product and users get to do their job well and actually make the product great? 

Because there are great examples out there (I know Figma and Sketch, my field of expertise) of companies who do really great software that is equally as complex as any of the Adobe tool, but they a.) don't suck in their UX decisions b.) are super fast shipping new stuff c.) seem to deeply care about the user feedback. 

Sure, "a bunch of humans" ... but sometimes some bunches of (good and bad) humans have terrible ideas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humans are always just ... humans. Which means all over the freaking place. The endless variablity is part of "our" intrigue, right? And of course, our frustration with anything any particular group ever does.

There's been decisions that were to me incredibly stupid and shortsighted ... like a past decision killing their color grading app SpeedGrade, just as BlackMagic was clearly moving Resolve from being a color-centric app to a full editing/compositing 'system'. Brilliant, eh? Not.

And yet, humans muddle through. I think in general that's what we do best. Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines