• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MTS files no sound

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Premiere Pro to edit .MTS files.  We have constantly experienced problems with Premiere Pro not importing sound.  Usually, updating everything (not just Premiere Pro) will solve this.  We currently have one machine were nothing is working, and right this second, we are deleting Premiere Pro to reinstall and try it again.

This nonsense of constantly battling to get Premiere Pro to import sound has been going on for months.  Why is this such a horrible ongoing battle?  Is there something we can do?

TOPICS
Audio , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

There are some good suggestions on here, and I will add a reminder for people to use the Media Browser to import media (as opposed to the import dialog) with potentially folder-dependent formats like MTS.

By "folder-dependent" I mean the video may be in one directory and the audio may be a sidecar file in a separate directory. So if you're importing the video directly it may not see the audio. The media browser is smarter than the import dialog so it usually knows how to access and import the ent

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX (at least on my machine - Windows 7 Pro and Premiere Pro CC 2015):  Started getting this issue with all movie clip types, not just MTS

* Import the movie clip

* Right click on movie clip in the project window (usually upper left corner)

* Click Modify and then click Audio Channels

* Change 'Number of audio clips' to 2

* Click off of field, you will see 'Clip 1' and 'Clip 2' appear.

* Click left and right channel on Clip 2

* Click OK

* You can now add your clip to your timeline along with its audio portion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old and there are so many other solutions on this page - but THIS. This did it! Ugh - lifesaver. Tried almost every other post suggestion up to this point aside from downloading third-party software. I know now that I did not import correctly from the camera, as I no longer have the extra files from the STREAM folder, but now I know for future reference. Was doing the Audition export mp3 then importing and linking in Premiere, but that was tedious and not as easy to work with. Also the audio was not always correct - it would be longer or shorter sometimes almost like it glitched and I'd have to manually sync.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my premiere from CC2015 to CC2015.3

I started to have sound problems with MTS files, There was no sound when importing MTS files

Here is how I solved it with chat with adobe:

Anand: Are you on Mac or PC?
ELI LEVY: PC
Anand: okay, close Premiere
Anand: click on the start button and search for: %appdata%
Anand: open the Roaming folder that comes up in the search
Anand: then open Adobe folder and rename Common folder to oldCommon and open premiere to check on the issue
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to you at the end of your chat
ELI LEVY: checking
ELI LEVY: Problem solved ! Why did it happen?
Anand: it was an issue with the cache after the update
Anand: it would work fine now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, Thanks, that solved the problem.

Marv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too - but Premiere Pro og Adobe Cloud app didn't work after renaming the folder. So after uninstal and reinstal Premiere Pro + uninstall and reinstall Adobe Cloud app everything worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just ran into this problem for the first time today. After fiddling around a bit and trying some of the methods:

Just renaming the files to .m2ts did the trick. Tested it several times.

No difference if using media browser, no need to transcode, no need to clear cache, no need to offline and relink or whatever. No matter what - NO SOUND if .mts - ALWAYS sound when changing extension to m2ts. Worked EVERY time no matter WHAT else i did or how sloppy I was with my file handling (card, HDD, folders, sidecar files - none of it mattered one bit...).

Tried it with CC media encoder - guess what ? exactly same behavior.

This seems to be THE ONLY rock solid "works every time" solution. (at least in Premiere Pro CC 2017)

One would imagine this would be EXTREMELY EASY for Adobe to fix - apparently its not high on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me.  rename the files.

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem with MTS self-contained audio. No sound in timeline. But when i get inside folder with MTS files through Premier media browser, i got Premier pop-up window with a message that the folder has content that need the Dolby codec to be installed. Press OK, then restart Premier, and now my MTS files with sound.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well after several attempts to get avchd or mts files from a canon c100 mk 2 to work in Adobe PP v9.2 I have finally concluded through my findings that these files do not work correctly with Premiere Pro CC on MAC OS. After importing these files into the timeline and editing and when zooming out video freezes! PP does not respond so have to force quit each time and its costing me time and money! DSLR rushes are fine throughout!

Adobe support advised me to upgrade to Sierra which I did reluctantly. But my MAC didn't reboot! I was told Sierra had deleted drivers for my NVIDEA GTX 970 GFX card! So had to reinstal after installing an older gfx card so I could see the desktop! I had explained this to ADOBE but they failed to pursue. I was then told to update PP CC to latest version. I said no as I would have to reinstall all my 3rd party plug ins again! So haven't upgraded. I've cleaned cache files too. Only a temporary fix. Still no luck. So I have to render mts files first before I can edit! No issues with audio they lock up.

I think Adobe/Apple & Canon need to communicate with each other to provide a more stable and compatible codec.
Any one else with similar problems??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, very easy fix.  This fix was not easy to find, and Adobe should really be better at making this fix easier to find.  I have had the problem MANY MANY MANY TIMES ADOBE.

No Audio after update? Premiere Pro CC Import Issue Fix! | Film Learnin - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.  I have had this problem MANY times with .MTS files.

No Audio after update? Premiere Pro CC Import Issue Fix! | Film Learnin - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm a little late to the party but I have had this problem a number of times with .mts files. They import fine, and when i play them in the preview monitor the audio is definitely there. When I go to file properties, the audio info is definitely there. The problem lies in me trying to drop the file into the timeline, the video will drop down fine, but I can't even see the audio bar drop onto the timeline. Sometimes it has simply been because the file hasn't had a chance to index or load into the system entirely. Tonight though, i closed the sequence and opened a brand new sequence within my project and then dropped the file into the timeline and it worked perfectly. My thoughts are that the sequence settings from my first sequence somehow clashed with or cancelled out the audio from the .mts files. All three camera angles I am using are the same, so it may just be the fact that it's .mts clashing with .mov. No idea. Just thought I'd throw this up as an alternative. Next time I'll make sure I drop the .mts file into the sequence before other video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The renaming doesn't work for me. My MTS files simply do not play audio. It won;t link. This is unacceptable, ADOBE. You guys are making a KILLING with these subscription packages and now pro's like us are taking it on the chin. Sort this nonsense out, NOW.

Don't try to tap dance a workaround dialog with me...fix this remedial issue or I will drop you like a sack of trash and edit with another software. Your stuff isn't that good, trust me. I'm not afraid of another UI. Let's get this going on the double. This is OUR money paying for this service and keeping your team of fiddlers employed. Let's get serious here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is annoying.. I've worked around in various ways as mentioned here.  Some work but not always.   We work with hundreds or even thousands of files sometimes.  It happens with MTS mostly, but also others.  Lately I have been able to correct it by dragging at least two or more files into the timeline from the Media Browser at one time.  When I drag one it does not bring audio, but if I drag several, then it brings the audio in.  Crazy stupid.  The PremPro team is usually better about this kind of thing..  After Effects is terrible at correcting things and this is what I have come to expect from that group, but Prem Pro usually squashes these bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a different editing software could Resolve your issue. Premiere is really starting to piss me off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn - Thank you so very much for that information. Much better than jumping through the hoops trying to extract audio, or unlinking, relinking. Your suggestion worked wonderfully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution for me, which is probably not the problem of many, but I'm writing it down here in the offchance anyone else has this setup:

I am running Windows Server 2019 as my primary OS, where MTS Files do not work. I installed Windows 10 2004 in a VM and installed Premiere there, and it worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem now - nothing helped. Media Cache emptied, rename "common" folder (Youtube-Tip), import via Media Browser (I can't even find the file, it's not being shown).... I have a deadline, Premiere updated itself (I changed the automatical updates now), EVERYTIME Premiere SUCKS and has bugs, this makes me angry, that I lost half a day. 

adobe supportPNG.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to take the original media .MTS and recode it to the same format using a script in Media Encoder. It is possible that this media has an incorrect encoding in the sound and Premiere does not read it. The second option is a file without sound. The third option, when you drag from the preview window, you drag only the video without sound. Check these options and you will solve your problem once and twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - the recoding through Media Encoder worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem - it showed up with one of the updates (I wish I had paid attention to which one) and now every time I import video it is a nightmare.  Adobe will no longer import the main folder from any of my video cameras.  I have to get into AVCHD, then BDMV, and then import the "Stream" folder.  But then I have missing audio files.  Consistently, I get the full audio from one camera and partial audio from the other two.  I have deleted my cache, made the files "offline" and then relinked.  It still doesn't work - but even if it had worked, this is a waste of my time.  I want to be editing video, not searching forums for fellow users to do the job that Adobe's team should be doing.  Time to get this fixed, folks - the rest of us have jobs to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go4bach,

Sorry. Are you using Media Browser?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - but I've tried it both ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solve this problem by selecting the clip (or clips) in the project and then right-clicking - then select, "New Sequence from Clip".  Creates the clips with auido in the timeline.  Selecting multiple puts them all on the same timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines