• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MTS files no sound

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Premiere Pro to edit .MTS files.  We have constantly experienced problems with Premiere Pro not importing sound.  Usually, updating everything (not just Premiere Pro) will solve this.  We currently have one machine were nothing is working, and right this second, we are deleting Premiere Pro to reinstall and try it again.

This nonsense of constantly battling to get Premiere Pro to import sound has been going on for months.  Why is this such a horrible ongoing battle?  Is there something we can do?

TOPICS
Audio , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

There are some good suggestions on here, and I will add a reminder for people to use the Media Browser to import media (as opposed to the import dialog) with potentially folder-dependent formats like MTS.

By "folder-dependent" I mean the video may be in one directory and the audio may be a sidecar file in a separate directory. So if you're importing the video directly it may not see the audio. The media browser is smarter than the import dialog so it usually knows how to access and import the ent

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third and finally, when I have this problem, (and yes, I still have this problem sometimes) I find the problem is that Premiere just hasn't conformed the audio properly.  Even if I wait patiently for the audio conform bar to finish sometimes there is no audio there!  When this happens I close the Premiere project and go to my original source folder and delete the audio conforming information that Premiere has put there.  With the .cfa and .pek files deleted, Premiere is forced to re-conform and usually gets it right. 

I'm not trying to excuse the issues here, but there are open bugs around that and they are all basically media specific. I've encountered some problems specific to one particular file (very weird), but usually it's specific to files from a particular device using the mts filetype. I haven't had to delete the cfa/pek files to get it to work, only to re-lauch the app after the initial generation is complete. But it's a pretty elusive bug so it doesn't surprise me if it;s behaving differently with different media. Unfortunately, its virtually impossible to support all file types and their sub-flavors from each available device, so sometimes we get into situation where PrPro just doesn't play well with certain media. If all else fails, you might try transcoding, but I understand that may slow your workflow down quite a bit and is not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's weird because we're using all the same cameras here - Canon Vixias - and they usually work perfectly but every now and then...!  I did a four camera shoot in October with all the same model Vixia.  Two of the cards loaded perfectly the first time.  One loaded perfectly the second time and the fourth one didn't work until I deleted the .cfa and .pek files!  All the cards were transferred properly with their folder structure intact so it couldn't have been a media specific bug. 

This problem doesn't happen to me very often any more but when it does I'm glad I've found a few work arounds that actually work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the info, Allynn... If you feel that you have a quantifiable big for PrPro, please use the reporting tool in this forum to log it, even if it is hard to repro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's outrageous that YEARS after this has been an ongoing issue the same bugs and issues are still present in CC 2017 versions. Does anyone at Adobe even care enough to address these issues? I've been having the same kind of problems and bugs that are ages old, and always the fixes are reinstalling, rolling back GPU drivers etc. For multiple issues. not just the Audio with .mts files.

For example, I've been working every day with same type of files as source, always used media explorer to import files and just out of the blue I've had videos playing back with double the speed today, I used the change Audio HW trick and after that I have no audio on source preview just on one file, next one is playing out fine and so on. This is ridiculous for such an expensive SW. And considering that I work with my projects on a daily basis, it's driving me mad by now. I'm wasting so much precious time just looking for solutions to a bunch of bugs and nonsense with Premiere Pro. I'm really at the point of demanding refunds and saying good bye to all Adobe stuff. Funny how other SW like Cyberlink handles all this stuff much better, not to mention their render times being significantly faster and all that for a lot less money and a one-off license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just an issue with Premiere but more so AVCHD itself and some other folder-dependent formats on cameras that start the first clip with the name "00000." This issue with AVCHD is present in some other software, but not as drastic as Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allynn,

This sounds exactly like what's been happening to me, where do you find the .cfa and .pek files?  I don't see them next to my media like in your screen grab.

For some reason I can't for the life of me get PP to conform the audio on 2 folders of media.

Thanks,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

Yeah... I've had that happen sometimes too and I'm not sure if they are hidden somehow or if Premiere is just putting them in a different place. 

First thing to try would be a computer wide search for ".pek".  If you use Audition, you'll have zillions of them but the Premiere ones will be named something like: "00000.MTS 48000.pek

Also, what operating system are you using?  If you're on a newer flavor of OSX the AVCHD folder now shows as a package and you have to open the package (right-click> show package contents).  Then do the same thing with BDMV folder and *then* you'll see the STREAM folder.

If neither of those solves your problem (and it didn't solve mine a while back), I can't offer much else except to bring the footage to another machine and conform it there.  That's what I had to do last summer just after I discovered the .cfa and .pek "solution"!  I had another card that wouldn't conform and I confidently went to where I was sure the conforming information was.... and it wasn't there! 

I can't believe that we're all still having these problems 2 years on but i guess that just speaks to the wackiness of MTS files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to see the stream folder and get to the files, but no pek or cf4 files.  I actually did a finder search and found nothing from the previous 2 days.  The footage I'm having the issue w/ I received this morning.

What I'm finding out is some thing happened the 1st time the audio was conformed (and this may have been my fault for not being patient enough), and now no matter what I do I can not get PP to conform the audio again.  I've moved the media to a new drive, and used a new project, changed folder structures.  Everything I can think of, but when I import PP never gets the conforming audio bar in the lower left.

Is there a way to force PP to conform audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid you'd have that problem.  that's exactly what happened to me last summer.

As far as I know, there is no way to force re-conforming audio and, Adobe guys, there **really** should be!  Regardless of whether this MTS problem is a real bug or just a random glitch, there should *always* be a way for end users to make the program do something over again!

Joe, the only way I could get it to work for me was to recreate the project on a completely separate computer that had never seen the video folder before and make sure it conformed there.  Sorry.  Renaming the folder, moving the folder to another drive (even an external drive), making a new Premiere project, standing on my head... NOTHING would make the audio re-conform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix I found which I hope to never do again is changing every clip from .mts to .m2ts.  That then causes PP to conform again.

I've actually done the other computer thing and it works, but if I bring the project back to the original work station it goes out of whack again.

I'm guessing PP sees the old conform files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, good fix!

I think when I brought mine over to the other machine I totally eradicated all evidence of the project on the first computer.  It was a bad memory so I've sort of repressed it!

Glad you're up an running, even if it was painful.  By the way... get a renaming program.  I use R-Name and I couldn't live without it!  I will recurse through folders, change extensions, change upper to lower case add or remove characters... all sorts of nifty, can't live without stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED

Download the software from the following link to resolve this issue RoviTotal Code 6.0.1 at mega link below

This will resolve the issue with the drivers for MTS files..

MEGA

see video  here on youtube

ADOBE Premiere CS6 - .Mts .Avchd - NO SOUND FIX - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy :

1- Format factory  .......... free software

2- Select  Audio > Mp3 > Add  file  ...........  We add all MTS files

3- Format factory  extracts the mp3 from the video and puts the name of the original file.

After the mp3 file is added from the audio line in Photoshop, (I do it with Photoshop CS6).

Greetings from Coruña, Spain.

postscript: format factory extracted sound in MP3, WMA, MMF, AMR, OGG, M4A ,  WAV , etcsss.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you have solved your problem, though painful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone else is having a similar issue, this is what I found out, and how we've resolved it.  The issue was caused by changing something in the folder structure of the mts files before PP was finished conforming each file (We often change the name of the stream folder to something that better describes the footage).  To get PP to conform a file after it thinks it already has you must delete the .cfa and .pek files.  These are saved deep in the library folder structure on newer Macs unless manually changed.  To change the location you must do so in Preferences-Media.  These are the media cache files.  I was under the impression they were the audio preview files who's location you set when opening a project.  I was wrong.  It would be helpful if you had the option to set this location before a project is opened.  Anyway my fix was to delete the faulty files from PP, change the media cache location, delete the deep buried .cfa, and .pek files, re-import the clips, sit back and let everything conform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joseph_harkins wrote:

I was under the impression they were the audio preview files who's location you set when opening a project.  I was wrong.  It would be helpful if you had the option to set this location before a project is opened.

You can change the location for any project's video and audio previews by going to the 'Scratch Disks' tab within the 'New Project' dialog, or after the fact by going to File > Project Settings > Scratch Disks...

You can change the location or the media cache files by going to PrPro (mac) or Edit (win) > Preferences > Media --> Media Cache Files section --> Browse (you can also clean them from 'Media Cache Database' section just below it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading through this I can't find any simple fixes that work. I tried dumping the Media Cache & reimporting...

You know Adobe is losing $ with this issue. I have a friend with a CC subscription & a Sony camera that makes .MTS video files. She is not the type of person to mess around on tech forums to make something like this work. As most consumers demand when they pay $ for something then it should just work.

So I've messed around with this for ages. I consider it a Premier bug. If I import .MTS video files into my project, the first clip I place on the timeline has audio. After that, any other clip I drag onto the timeline is missing audio. Interestingly, if I use the first clip that has the audio track and replace it with any other .MTS file, it will import the audio. So I can just copy the first clip as many times as required and replace the clip with the ones that I need. Not elegant, but I don't need to transcode. This is close to proof for me it's just another lame bug.

Alternatively, I agree with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, deleting the MTS files from Premiere, renaming MTS to M2TS and re-importing worked for me. I've always had this issue with Premiere after version 5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Essentials 13 automatically “conforms .mts” files downloaded from Sony HXR-MC2000U Camcorder thereby restoring missing audio from clips 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas Chorley wrote:

Adobe Premiere Essentials 13...

= Premiere ELEMENTS 13

Premiere Essentials is a tutorial series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does the Elements really solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply above.  You need to delete the .cta and .pek files.  Then re-import your footage.  When you import make sure you let the audio conform before you do anything else in PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Problem:

AVCHD or MTS files would import into Premiere Pro CC; however, their sound tracks were all silent. Even so, the original files worked fine in Windows Media Player--both video and sound.

The Solution:

1) In the Premiere Pro CC interface, If you have not already done so, drag your MTS file from the Project Pane (lower-left corner) into the Timeline (lower-right corner)

2) In the Premiere Pro  CC Timeline, Right Click on the sound track

3) Select the 7th option from the top of the list: Edit Clip in Adobe Audition

4) Back in the Premiere Pro CC Timeline,  after the sound track has been Rendered and Replaced, the  sound track will have turned green, which means it has been converted into an Adobe Audition sound file

5) In the Adobe Audition interface, you should see the wave forms of both tracks from Premiere, and if you toggle the play button you should be able to hear them

6) Back in the Premiere Pro CC interface, the MTS video  you selected will now have accompanying sound.

7) Problem solved for me and hopefully for you as well.

Karl M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, here is a simple way which can help you out of this troubles:

get the vlc player. vlc offers the possibilities to extract the audio from an mts file and save it as a mp3 file.

it is the hell of a work to do than manually for every single file, especially when you work on a bigger project.

a german guy wrote a batch file for the vlc player  which is doing that work for you automatically! I like it, this is just awesome!!!

@ECHO OFF

REM Transcoding mts-Video-files to mp3-Audio-files

FOR %%a IN (*.mts) DO "D:\video\vlc\vlc.exe" -I dummy -vvv %%a --sout=#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=file,mux=raw,dst="%%~na.mp3"} vlc://quit

PAUSE

(write your file path instead of D:\video\vlc\vlc.exe. this is where my vlc player is located)

1)copy that text into notepad and create a file called VLC_videoconverter.cmd

2)save the file in the folder with all your mts files

3)take care that neither the file path (where the mts files are stored) nor the mts file names contain any blanks!

4) execute the file. autostart needs to be on.

the  description (in german) of the batch you can find here :F10 - Mehrere Dateien in gleicher Weise konvertieren - Informationen und Hinweise - VLC Player Forum

if your file names contain a blank, this guy wrote a little program remove the blanks. you can find it at the end of his article. download the file space2.jar.txt, rename it to space2.jar,  and start it.very easy to use and within one second all blanks are gone!

i hope this will help you

H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had two files that were screwed up. I needed a quick fix so i uploaded the originals (20mins each) to YouTube and downloaded them from my channel and copied to a new folder with new clip names. In Premiere make new project and import the YT clip into a timeline to conform audio, once complete, close the project and open the project you were having issues with/ replace the footage clip with the new YT clip... and it's perfect. i'm sure it's compressed even more, but I can't tell... It's for a web project anyways..

Probably not the best option but it worked. Deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines