• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multicam Edit from Nested Sequences of Different Resolutions

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, I have a question that will need some explaining, but bear with me. I'm editing a recording of a performance that was about 2 hours long. It was filmed on three different cameras, one 4K as the 'wide' and two at 1080p, each punched in on different areas of the stage. All 3 cameras were DSLRs, so had to be stopped and started every 30 mins, and they've all given me lots of 4GB files - as I would happily expect. Separate audio was recorded from the mixer, as two non-stop tracks, one for the band, one for vocals (it's a Musical) - they are both perfectly aligned as were recorded on one device. Here's what I've done:

-Made three separate sequences; one for each camera.

-Put the two external audio tracks into each sequence and lined them up at 00:00:00 on all the timecodes.

-One by one, went through each sequence adding all the clips from each camera and snycing them by manually lining them up so that the camera audio and the external audio match. I had to do this for nearly every clip because of the 30 minute limit mentioned above.

-Nested each sequence

What I want to do:

-Create a Multicam edit of those three nested sequences that will eventually output to 1080p

-Use the two external audio tracks AND the audio from ONE of the cameras (not all of the actors had radio mics, etc... so the external tracks aren't good enough on their own)

-Punch into the 4K footage at various points after I've done the multicam chopping.

Now it's that last line that's got me. I've done this before for a previous show - almost exactly the same situation EXCEPT I didn't need punch into the 4K footage, so I just downscaled that sequence to 1080p and off I went.

The closest I got was following a YouTuber who suggested that I make a Multicam clip in 4K (so the two 1080s would be little boxes in the centre of the frame) then put that Multicam clip into a new sequence at 1080p. Then perform a Multicam edit, and once done, go through each 4K part and 'set to frame size'. My two issues with this are:

-That's very time-consuming for a video that's 2 hours long and will have a LOT of camera changes in it

-Whilst doing the multicam I can't see the whole picture from the 4K feed...

This has me really stuck so if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Many thanks,

Ollie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

I might be wrong but it seems like you might be making it too complicated. We cut 1080 and 4k mixed multicam stuff together all the time and it's pretty simple. Although we use Plural Eyes to sync audio and video, you don't NEED that and if you've lined up all your footage to that external audio then you're almost there. Here's what I'd suggest...

Forget about nesting and double nesting and whatever you saw on youtube. While that might work, and I admittedly only skimmed your post, here's all you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong but it seems like you might be making it too complicated. We cut 1080 and 4k mixed multicam stuff together all the time and it's pretty simple. Although we use Plural Eyes to sync audio and video, you don't NEED that and if you've lined up all your footage to that external audio then you're almost there. Here's what I'd suggest...

Forget about nesting and double nesting and whatever you saw on youtube. While that might work, and I admittedly only skimmed your post, here's all you need to do...

Create a new sequence and drop a 1080p clip on there so your sequence settings are 1080p (not 4k since your goal is to have a 1080p export). Grab all of the video clips and layer them all together on the same timeline. Just stacked on top of each other. The audio can just be the 3 audio tracks you need. Right click on the 4k stuff and select "Set to Frame Size". Now with everything sync'd up on one timeline, select ONLY the video clips (hold alt and drag box around all the clips) and then right click and choose "Nest". Then right click on the nested video (the audio tracks should still all be there and individually visible since you did NOT nest those) and select Multicam>Enable.

Now you can go in and do your live multicam edit and then individually mix the audio as needed. For the 4K stuff you can scale it up whenever you want, or, if you really wanna pixel peep, you can select those 4k clips AFTER your multicam edit is done and right click and choose multicam>flatten and then scale them. I might be wrong as it's been years since I tested that but I think there's a tiny difference. I might be wrong. Anyway, now you have your multicam video all on one track with all your individual audio tracks that you want below so you can adjust each of them individually.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DMH79,

That‘s great, thank you. I’ve given that a try today and it’s just what I was looking for, so thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DMH79....Holy cow! This just saved my butt! I've been searching the internet for what feels like hours and this workaround, compared to other tutorials I've seen, works perfectly! Even though you posted this in 2019, I hope you see this message!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines