• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested sequence time remapping bug

Advocate ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've submitted this bug several times now.  2 things: how do we know if adobe has acknowledged a bug? do they respond to let you know?

2nd thing, the bug itself:

take a nested sequence, insert it onto timeline.  Add another layer in the nested sequence, apply time remmapping.  Sequence will go black before it reaches the end of the sequence. This vid below demonstrates that it is not the normal behavior of a time remmapped clip.  Most of the time when I encounter this bug it is when the original footage is not the same res as the final sequnce.

[hyper link removed by author request]

[Typo removed from title. — Mod.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do we know if adobe has acknowledged a bug

You dont. Adobe never says anything about bug or feature requests.

I am unable to watch the YT video, strange link, somehow reverts to my own YT channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks ann

correct link:

https://youtu.be/wc14zHwx11U

(if a moderator could delete the original link that would be awesome )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think its a bug but rather by design.

You cannot remap a still as it has no speed.

So I am thinking the same thing is happening here.

If you replace the text with a clip it works as expected

Might just want to put the text superimposed on the nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only assume that adobe are also assuming that this is by design. It is emphatically a bug.  I do lots of remapping.  This behaviour started last year, I dont remember which update exactly but it was one of the major ones.

I used a graphic layer just for demo purposes, but it does the same thing if you introduce an adjustment layer, or sometimes even if you cut an existing layer and add a dissolve.  It will also behave in the same way with another video clip inserted over the first,, or even the same clip duplicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another video

its a bug not a feature Video 2017 11 21 120138 - YouTube

It clearly shows that the video cuts out at the point that the new layer kicks in, when I make the new layer start earlier, the time remmapped sequence goes to black earlier.  The 2nd half of the clip shows me experimenting with what will make it fail.

1. Cutting the original clip in 2 still works

2. Duplicating the original clip still works

3. Adding a new clip on a new layer = fail

4. Inserting a dissolve in the cut clip, with no other layers present = fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been fiddling around.

Sometimes it works and other times it does not work as expected.

Have not been able to determine exactly what causes it not to work.

I think it fails around speed 300 and higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The superimposed clip might be too short in relation to the underlying clip for high speed ramping?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can see in the vid I make the clip about half the length of the video layer below it, so no that's not the case. I don't know why or where the bug comes from but it's causing me a lot of faff and I wish somebody from adobe would at least look at it. 

hello... Adobe... Are you there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello... Adobe... Are you there?

getho​: Many of the product experts are away for the Thanksgiving weekend, unfortunately. Maybe jstrawn can weigh in on the technical side of things or log this as a bug. You should also post this experience yourself: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I said in the first post I have done so:  maybe 5 times? over the last year+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps aren't clear enough to tell exactly what you did and there is no longer any screencast attached. But since you mentioned 'adding a layer' that makes me think that you put a video clip layer inside of a Graphic and then slowed down the whole Graphic with time remapping. If so, seeing the video end before the Graphic is expected behavior if the clip is not as long as or longer than its Graphic container. Only the Graphic clip is affected by the time remap, not any media layer(s) within. To see it the way you want, you need to edit the clip in the timeline with a time remapping or speed/duration change, re-export that (preferably in some virtually lossless format) and then put that into your Graphic. Clip Layers are mainly intended to be used with still images (for logo bugs and thing) which is why we do not allow any sort of real editing to clip layers within a Graphic.

We mainly acknowledge bugs by fixing them and delivering those to users. However we sometimes reach out privately to users when we know a critical bug has been fixed. But we generally never promise TO FIX something until it has actually been fixed. That sort of risky over-promising is called 'side arrangements' and it is never a good corporate practice. That's why we typically don't say a lot about what we have in progress until it is announced publicly. Not to mention the time it would take to respond to every user about every bug submitted through the wishform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also there is a bug on these forums that if you paste an external link (cant say all, but definitely with youtube), and then continue typing it jumps to the top of the page meaning you cant see what you're typing. (terrifiic).

@jstrawn Sorry but I'm getting annoyed by people who havent understood the issue - as you said yourself - saying its expected behaviour.  I can tell you its not,  and assume that you don't understand it if you think it is.

Here they are broken down again:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(had to start new reply because of the page jump bug - it happens when you paste anything apparently).

1. take a nested sequence, insert it onto timeline.

2. Double click on that nested sequence

3. Add another layer say halfway through that nested sequence,

4. Go back to your timeline and apply time remmapping (eg>300)

Result:

Sequence will go black before it reaches the end of the sequence. This vid below demonstrates that it is not the normal behavior of a time remmapped clip.  Most of the time when I encounter this bug it is when the original footage is not the same res as the final sequence.

Please note the sequence changes length on the timeline as you would expect. You cant expand it, as you would expect. THe sequence goes to black at the point the new layer starts.

If you take the exact same nested sequence and simply change it's speed **IT WORKS AS EXPECTED**.  I emphasize this to show that I'm not a total idiot who didn't realise that changing the speed of something makes it shorter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone found this helpful?  After I posted that there were 2 video links, tumbleweeds.

Could a mod please remove the "assume answered" tag, and maybe copy the link below to the OP, rather than removing it for skimmers! thanks

https://youtu.be/CoUYqRoHXEo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jstrawn this is as close as I've got to an interaction with adobe on this issue. please can you acknowledge that you've seen my reply below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn 

This is the closest I got to engaging adobe with this and now more pressing issues.  Come on! I've been trying since 2017. You should give me brownie points for perseverance. 

I have put the major time-remapping bugs in one post:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/40860028-fix-time-remapping...

I am ready and willing to help you.  The most recent bug is being regularly reported on the forum. It is not idiot user error.  The bugs are real, albeit appearing in special (but not that unusual) circumstances.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this same problem. I have created a project with lots of time remapping using nested sequences. Which works fine. The problem is I was then asked to add some 3d after effects text to the shots. Using the un-remapped footage within the nests I created my animations. Adding the AE projects or rendered footage to cover or replace the small sections that need it within the nests leaves empty ( or black) gaps in the main project. It seems that the remapping effect isn't being applied to everything within the nest, just the original footage with which the nest was created. I have a lot of varying speed-ramps so to match the animations over the top is quite a challenge. Is there a setting I can change to make the other exported footage work within the time re-mapped nests?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been reported for years and there are a number of threads about it here on the Adobe Forums going back years.

Here's one over 3 years old:

Time remapping a nested sequence results in black/empty video

It's honestly easier to click on this Google link to see all the postings about this issue here on the Adobe Forums:

premiere pro cc time remap nested sequence bug site:forums.adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is easier?

Or is that directed at adobe staff?

Heyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! ADOBE!!!!!! Helooooooooo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! 🙂 Yes, at our friends working hard at Adobe. I know they are busy. I just wanted to point out that this has been a known and reproducible issue for many years. It has been analyzed from all sides (as the many posts on this forum show) and now someone just needs to take ownership of it and get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RodHarlan​ Hi Rod! Post about this bug in the (semi-new) user feedback forum: Premiere Pro: Hot (1138 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

I searched on "remapping" and didn't see an existing post about this issue, though I may have missed it. Anyway, the engineering team does see this feedback and the more that users vote on an issue, the better chances that the team will move it up the priority list.

HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan! I hope you are doing well. Thank you for the link to (re)post this issue.

I have now done so. For those who want to vote for this issue to be fixed, please go to:

BUG REPORT: Time remap of nested sequence results in black/empty video using GPU

Also, here's an Adobe forums link for anyone who wants to further research this issue.

My understanding is that there are several off-shoots of this same issue depending on whether you use Cuda, OpenCL, or Metal... but all have to do with the accelerated GPU rendering and time remap.

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=time%20remap%20nested%20sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now August of 2018, and I just encountered this.  So, it's not fixed in Pr 12.1.2 Mac.

I described how I get the bug in detail here, before I found this post:

major problem with CUDA and Nests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines