• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Adjustment Layer makes Video Black

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently experienced this issue and I can't find out why it is happening. Upon creating an new Adjustment layer and putting it on a track over a clip, once I add an effect (like Lumetri Color - with no settings turn on, or any color correction) the output is black.  Turning off the whole track or turning off the Lumetri in Effects, turns on the raw output.  It's happening to any video I am working on. Adding Lumetri (or any effect) directly to the clip is fine.  Also, what is rather odd, but telling, is that when I look at the properties of the adjustment layer, both File Path and Type are Black Video.  That probably is the problem, but what's the solution?

Is it a current Premiere glitch or just happening on my machine or a setting?  Hopefully there is a simple remedy.  The attached pics show the raw video output, then with the new adjustment layer, and the settings for the effect (ie Lumeti has nothing turned on).   Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.44.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.45.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.45.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-18 at 5.57.32 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

With a lot of testing, I opened the project on another computer with same Premiere version (2017) It worked fine.  So I checked settings specific to this machine.  File--> Project Settings reveled that I was using the Metal version of the Mercury Playback engine (I'm not sure why it was set or reset to this.  Upon switching to the Open GL version, things now work fine.  Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a lot of testing, I opened the project on another computer with same Premiere version (2017) It worked fine.  So I checked settings specific to this machine.  File--> Project Settings reveled that I was using the Metal version of the Mercury Playback engine (I'm not sure why it was set or reset to this.  Upon switching to the Open GL version, things now work fine.  Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sextonartsm,

Glad the issue is resolved with the change of the Renderer from Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration(Metal) to OpenGL.

Can you provide us the information related to System Configuration for documentation purpose?

1. What is the exact dot version of Premiere Pro? FAQ: How to find the exact version of Premiere Pro you're using?

2. What is the GPU model number?

3. What is the OS version number?

4. Is this happening with all projects? Create a new project & test.

5. Please post a screenshot of Sequence settings. FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Thanks,

Vidya Sagar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vidya, This was affecting all of the recent projects.  Im not sure how that setting was switched.  Im am running on a ~2yr old iMac with no advanced graphics etc.  I have attached screen shots to help you out.  Let me know if you need more info.

Pr 2017.02 v11.0

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.27.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.29.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.29.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-20 at 11.28.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sextonartsm,

Thank you for the information.

Regards,

Vidya Sagar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had the same exact issue with my adjustment layer but I was already in OpenCL and then switched to Metal instead and that fixed it. My adjustment layer started working again. No idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am testing Sony Vegas as I've had this issue throughout with Premiere Pro and I spend most of the project time wasted trying to get around this issue.  Fed up now so I'm heading elsewhere for my video editing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same results (adjustment errors when using OpenCL, but switching to Metal resolves everything) - if anyone has any theories........

I honestly don't even know what the difference is between OpenCL and Metal.. anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem. It happened to me in CC 2015 and now is happening to me again in CC 2017. I frequently use adjustment layers to make a 2.35 crop, but if I add anything else to the adjustment layer (like Lumetri) it makes all of my video underneath the adjustment layer go black. If I turn off the track that has the adjutment layer, everything comes back. It is super annoying. What just happened today, is that I tried to make a simple opacity mask directly on one of the 2 videos underneath my crop adjustment layer, and even that makes my adjustment layer turn everything black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I'm in Open CL Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 7.18.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok guys, what do I have to do, if I get a project from a Mac Pro which uses Metal

and I want to work on its sequence with adjustment layers causing black on my macbook pro

which does not have Metal but only OpenCL and Software????

When I switch to Software only the adjustment layer behaves normal but I loose GPU acceleration.

I'm not updating Yosemite OS right now because I'm in a current project.

So is there a possibility to set back or change the type of Mercury on the particular adjustment layers?

e.g. save lumetri as preset - apply preset to new adjustment layer or anything else? I also would accept

hacking for the moment....

Any ideas?

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-03 um 16.07.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word on when Adobe is going to fix this? 2 years later and it's still happening in CC 2018. (Open CL does not fix - have to use Metal which really sucks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bmartin,

OpenCL is going buh-bye. Whether or not we prefer doesn't seem to matter. Apple is throwing everything at Metal and asking all vendors leave off work with OpenCL.

And of course most of us are several versions into Premiere 2019.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow didn't know that about Metal, that's unfortunate. It's (way) slower then OpenCL on my comp. Yeah, about 2019 - I sort of don't want to touch it with a 10ft pole until 2020 comes out. I was told by one of the vets on here that being on the latest version is just being Adobe's guinea pig amd I tool that to heart lol. I'm sure it's stable by now, but there aren't any concrete reasons for me to update so I try to stay with a stable system. Though that is seeming more out of my grasp by the day...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any of these apps can have issues on someone's system. I'm on the LGG forum daily, mostly colorists, mostly Resolve based, and well ... there's shops that never used any 15.x version of Resolve because in their shop it wasn't stable. Others have been working with 16.1. I've been using Premiere 13.x since it came out. Had an issue with the transmit-out monitor not sticking with 13.0 but they patched that in a few weeks.

And yea, a lot of users aren't happy about Apple ditching OpenCL ... but ... that's Life.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adjustment layer and putting it on a track over a clip, once I add an effect (like Lumetri Color - with no settings turn on, or any color correction) the output is black" I get a black frame on beginning of timeline. This is 19 Aug 2022 Adobe still haven't fixed it they left us video editor behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What's your hardware?

This happens only on some specific gear, and a fix is I've heard out in the public beta. Should be in a patch some time not too far out for the 'shipping' version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines