• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premiere does not import Avi file son Mac

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REALLY not impressed with this latest update. Is anyone else having the same issues?

Premiere has stopped importing AVI files on the Mac. Had to uninstall and reinstall the old version.

Awful update. Why release if it doesn't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Hi Edmund,

AVI is supposed to be a QuickTime 32 bit codec and the support for QT 32 bit files has been dropped. Also, Apple too will drop this support and they have also enabled a warning in 10.13.4 for all 32 bit services, applications etc.

Dropped support for Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 - Apple Support

For now roll back is the best option.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edmund,

AVI is supposed to be a QuickTime 32 bit codec and the support for QT 32 bit files has been dropped. Also, Apple too will drop this support and they have also enabled a warning in 10.13.4 for all 32 bit services, applications etc.

Dropped support for Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 - Apple Support

For now roll back is the best option.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks. This makes life very difficult as the hard ware we use produces 24bit MJPEG avi’s, that we then need to convert to pro res for customers.

Other than roll back can you recommend a work-around?

If we produced 64 bit files from our hard ware that would presumably be OK?

Regards,

Ed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Edmund,

I never tested this but you can give a try. I will suggest to choose transcoding technique for your files in some other format which can suit your requirements.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay,

Sure that’s fine in principle - but it adds hours onto a job that involves 4K scans of movie film (which is what we do). We rely on Premiere Pro to grade movie film scans from film scanners that produce MJPEG AVI files.

Adding an additional transcode stage is not viable to an already time sensitive service such as ours.

Looks like at this stage we may need to move to another software vendor in future. Adobe products seem to have got increasingly non-dependable on Mac in past year.

Regards,

Ed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed.,

Sorry for this conundrum.

Looks like at this stage we may need to move to another software vendor in future. Adobe products seem to have got increasingly non-dependable on Mac in past year.

I'm not sure that you know that zero NLE applications can support .AVI on Mac moving forward due to the removal of QuickTime 32-bit support dictated by Apple.

If you want .AVI support, and it is mission critical to your business, a move to a Windows PC setup might make much more sense.

Adobe has actually created 64-bit versions of the most popular QuickTime codecs so that users can continue on using ProRes, etc. It is possible that engineering could write a custom version of the QuickTime wrapped .AVI codec. However, according to engineering, "...it would be a lot of work."

If that is what you wish engineering to spend resources doing, please let them know here: Support AVI files needed in newest release... URGENT – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tengo el mismo problema, Premiere CC debería dar una solución de compatibilidad porque así está arruinando trabajos en curso.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!! If this format is no longer supported, then why on earth is it the default "lossless" format for rendering from After Effects (Windows)??!! Shouldn't we expect the default lossless format from After Effects be importable by Premiere Pro?

Do you have any idea how much rendering I have just done in this format? Imported fine and edited with on a PC and now have to switch to mac!! I can't even convert the files now I'm on a mac, because Media Encoder doesn't read them. This is outrageous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!! If this format is no longer supported, then why on earth is it the default "lossless" format for rendering from After Effects (Windows)??!! Shouldn't we expect the default lossless format from After Effects be importable by Premiere Pro?

Do you have any idea how much rendering I have just done in this format? Imported fine and edited with on a PC and now have to switch to mac!! I can't even convert the files now I'm on a mac, because Media Encoder doesn't read them. This is outrageous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me.  I have an ongoing 1.5yr time lapse unit and now all my files are not usable.  I never thought an update would take down my entire project...Need an update and fast to fix this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoshM,

I have an ongoing 1.5yr time lapse unit and now all my files are not usable.  I never thought an update would take down my entire project...Need an update and fast to fix this Adobe!

You can transcode these files in an earlier version of our software. You can also use a Windows PC to read these files. A quick fix is probably not possible as a custom version of the codec would need to be written and that would take a ton of work from our engineers. You can let them know about your situation here: Support AVI files needed in newest release... URGENT – Adobe video & audio apps

Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that MacOS High Sierra QuickTime does open (some?) AVI files. And I was able to create an Automator script that transcodes them to Apple ProRes422. Probably not fast enough for professional production, but worth a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when a project orginates in PC land and uses Blackmagic AVI 4:2:2 10 bit...that cant be opened on a MAC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is EXACTLY the problem I now have too. I have multiple PCs capturing archive footage to AVI via Blackmagic systems. To say this update has screwed me over would be an understatement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where has my reply gone?

About a week ago, I commented on this thread. Yesterday someone replied to my comment (see screenshot of my email notification). Now both my comment and the reply are gone.

Screenshot_20190912-092259.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Phi-Def. All posts over the last couple of weeks were wiped because we are installing new forums software. We warned our users throughout the forum to archive any important posts, as they would be lost. I apologize for the inconvenience. Feel free to create a new post or continue posting here and we can triage your issues from there.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, hope you are well. I'm running into similar issues as everyone else on here.

I am digitizing my entire SD video archive through firewire on a Windows machine. Is the only option for me to digitize as .avi files that way? Is there any other format I can digitize as?

I am saving everything to a NAS that both my Windows machine and my Mac access. When I open the project file from the Windows machine on the Mac, it doesn't recognize the .avi files.

It isn't the end of the world, as I most likely will do all my editing on the Windows machine, but it would be really nice to be able to access the footage on the Mac as well without having to transcode it all. I am dealing with 1000+ hours of footage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm lost. According to this post, Apple supports neither AVI nor MOV files with an alpha channel. Is that right? What format can I export my After Effects work in (that's compatible with both Mac and Windows)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mov is readable for Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines