• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Noob: What is the preferred file type for Pr?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My job is to develop e-Learning and I want to incorporate video into my lessons where appropriate. My camera takes video in .mov format, which I've learned Pr doesn't like. I started searching the web and found a recommendation to change the file to avi. Fine, tried it, then discovered the latest Pr apparently doesn't like that. More searching, and I started to feel that this could become a deep rabbit hole with lots of turns as I try to sort things out.

I think a more direct route for me would be to just ask what file format works best with Pr, and then I will get my IT department to get me the appropriate converter.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

I continued my online research and found a recommendation to change the file extension to .mp4.

It worked.

My background is in aviation maintenance and instructional development. The wizardry of some tech stuff can be a challenge. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best option might be a new camera.  Or different settings on the current camera.

What make and model are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon

It's a Nikon D3300. I doubt the company will buy a new camera to replace it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an old rig ... does it have any other video format option than the mov?

Could you put a very short segment up on the web for us to test with?

There's Handbrake, a free and easy to use converter, btw ... oft recommended "here". It can also do batch work for say every file in a folder.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

I would expect those clips to work.  Have you tried yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon D7000 mov files work fine on PPro 2018.1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I continued my online research and found a recommendation to change the file extension to .mp4.

It worked.

My background is in aviation maintenance and instructional development. The wizardry of some tech stuff can be a challenge. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.mov with prores seems to scrub nicely. Research codecs and those that use cpu processing more than others will take a stronger system to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines