• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One Lumetri Color adjustment layer affecting position of another adjustment layer

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project with several adjustment layers. One for exposure, one for color, and for one section of video has the New Blue Pixelator effect applied to a portion to obscure some profanity. When the Color Adj Layer is turned on the positioning of the pixelation jumps around. Nothing in the Color Adj Layer affects its positioning, nor do I believe it's able to affect the underlying layer's positioning.

The layer order does not seem to have any effect on the issue however I just noticed that if I disable the Lumetri Color effect on that Adj Layer the Pixelator effect is positioned properly so its clearly an issue with Lumetri. If I make a new Adj Layer and apply the same Lumetri Color adjustments the same thing happens.

Can't imagine what's going on. When I save and quit to see if a restart solves the issue Premiere crashes. It does that a lot, no surprise. Hopefully Adobe is enjoying their continued paychecks even when their product is crap.

I've attached a screen grab of me turning the layer on and off. Watch the "****ing Swear Bucket" on my desk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, that's an ... intriguing ... way to do color work. Hmmm.

Next, Adjustment Layers do have frame-sizes, so if you have say dragged an AL from a bin to a sequence of a different frame size, you can get interesting issues. So I'm wondering if your ALs and everything in the sequence have the same frame-size.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I don't always do thing the right way 🙂 I was lazy in the filming and used Auto WB so when I was making the first edit I made a layer to adjust the exposure, shadows, etc, I figured it would be cleaner if I kept that AL intact and created a bunch of other ALs for the white balance as each clip needed a little different tweaks.

Yes, now that you mention the "size" of the adjustment layer I understand what you are looking for. This was all 4k footage and the AL was created in the same resolution so I don't think that could be it.

And the funnier thing is that the pixelated effect is on several different clips so it's applied via several different ALs. Some of those ALs are not affected.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of order of processing. In PrPro, the order is always the effects on the clip first. Check the Effects Control Panel (ECP), and the top effect gets processed first, then down through the layer stack of effects.

Then if you use ALs, the lowest AL gets processed after the clip, then the next AL above it and on up.

It tends to be cleaner to apply effects to clips rather than in ALs unless the effect will be applied evenly across multiple clips. Especially as if you do any trimming/editing, using ALs for specific things at X point in a clip gets messy.

Yea, I've had to keyframe stuff shot with auto WB and/or exposure. Sheesh ... oh, and a long take of an event indoors with massive windows. There were a few clouds occasionally dropping the light just a small amount, but in the video, it was clearly both a brightness and color change that faded in and out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thought process was to put many of the "edits" into ALs so that if I wanted to watch it in the Program window without any stuttering I could simply turn off several layers to make the on-the-fly processing quicker.

I do have some effects still on one of the ALs precisely because that effect is applied across the whole group of clips. It's some film grain and a color present to add some character to the video.

Just for giggles I copied/pasted the Pixelator effect from the ALs onto the clips that are affected and the issue seems to have been circumvented. For now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recently wondering if the order of the effects affects the video, specially on adding multiple Lumetri Color effects. I usually use the Add lumetri color effect in the Lumetri Color panel, but I realized that if I change the auto cascade order and put one layer above the others it changes the result. Now I know wich is correct, Thanks for the explanation and sorry for my english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, order of processing can make a huge difference!

The Premiere order of processing is ...

Effects Control panel first ... for those things added directly to the clip:

• intrinsic effects like Motion, Opacity, in order top to bottom;
  • User added effects, in order, top to bottom

And then, for things added to Adjustment Layers, start with the lowest AL, and go top to bottom of ECP for that AL.

If you have a second AL above the first one, that is processed after the AL on the lower track, but within that AL, is the order in the ECP top to bottom.

For example ... a clip with an "intrinsic" effect, a couple effects, and a couple ALs with effects ...

Clip "intrinsic" of Scale processed first;

Next is the top user added effect in the ECP for the clip;

Next is the next user added effect in the ECP for the clip;

Next is the AL on V2, effects processed top-to-bottom as shown in the ECP of this AL;

Next is the AL on V3, again, effects processed top-to-bottom as shown in the ECP of this AL.

And within most effects, the order of processing is the same as the order of options/controls top to bottom, but not always.

In Lumetri, the tabs are processed top to bottom.

In the Basic tab. one control is out of order, and I'm blanking on which that is ... @eric escobar your assistance on that processing order of the Basic tab controls?

In the Curves tab, the RGB curve is processed first, BUT ... the subsequent XvY curves such as Hue v Hue are all processed "In parallel", by each curve control starting with the data from after the RGB curve, and all of them applied then sequentially to each other in order ... I do believe that is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also the "global fx mute" which turns all effects (or mostly sort-of all) off or on as a toggle, available in the Program monitor and you can also set a keyboard short for it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no idea. Just added it to the controls... THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many things in all of these complex video post applicattions that none of us catch all of them. I've just been surprised by a couple things possible in PrPro that I hadn't realized it could do in the last few days. My colorist buds all based in Resolve or Baselight also are constantly noting the same thing. Someone else says "why don't you just do X?" and they had no idea X was available.

And these are people living in that app 10-12 hours a day for years. But the same thing happens in PrPro, AfterEffects, Avid, whatever.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... years ago when I learned [started] all of this I remember getting the new version of Pagemaker or CorelDRAW and reading the manual front to back. Nowadays I learn what I need, when I need it. Too bad there's not more time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines